Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

I'm halfway through Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer. What have I done?! It's wonderful, but I'm crying so much.. maybe I'm getting old and oversentimental. Not Christmassy at all. :cray:

A Christmas Carol is waiting under my pillow, anyway

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up Stephen King's Under The Dome at the charity shop today, that's four of his I have now, maybe I should read one at some point...They are just sooo big! :D

Will finish The Watcher in the Shadows tonight hopefully then I can start A Christmas Carol tomorrow.  :grinhat:

x

I agree, they are very big! I think they're worth it though, I hope you read them eventually and enjoy them :). I hope you enjoy A Christmas Carol :grinhat:.

I finished A Christmas Carol and absolutely loved it :D I feel properly Christmassy now - I went and watched Love Actually!

x

Awesome! I'm glad you liked the book / story :grinhat:. I quite liked Love Actually, would love to see it again sometime.

I finished George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 3: A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow a few days ago and have started to read Diane Chamberlain - The Shadow Wife (previously published as Cypress Point). It's very good so far, just like other books by her that I've read.

Up to Chapter 3 of Who Fears Death? and 1/3 of the way through Chocky. Chocky is intriguing, but Wyndham's writing style is  oddly dated (published 1968) and sounds slightly too 'middle-class Englishness'.

I listened to an adaptation of Chocky on the Iplayer earlier on, I enoyed it.

That's good to hear  :smile: . Wyndham's writing styles is very clear and crisp, but it seems many years ago, as in the 1920s rather than 1968.

Finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt today.  Review over on yonder book thread. :)

Looking forward to next month's selection by Tartt!

Edited by pontalba

I've just seen on another site that on Amazon (UK) that two of Diane Chamberlain's books, Kiss River and Keeper of the Light are just £1 including postage!  Might suit someone? :)

x

That's awesome! I already have those two but for anyone else.. I haven't read them yet, though, but so far have loved all Diane Chamberlain's books.

x  

I'm quite enjoying A Christmas Carol except for the fact that I can't get visions of Kermit and Michael Caine out of my head! :D

x

Oopsie! I can imagine that might make it more difficult to read.

Decided to read The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai next - it's one that Kay lent me, and it's got a librarian as the lead character so it must be good! :D  Having said that, I'm a quarter of the way in, and the first sentence of the blurb on the back cover gives away a plot point that still hasn't happened yet, but I am enjoying it so I shouldn't complain too much. ;)

Decided to read The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai next - it's one that Kay lent me, and it's got a librarian as the lead character so it must be good! :D  Having said that, I'm a quarter of the way in, and the first sentence of the blurb on the back cover gives away a plot point that still hasn't happened yet, but I am enjoying it so I shouldn't complain too much. ;)

I was a bit so-so about it .. it didn't quite live up to my expectations but because it's about a librarian and books I thought you might find it interesting and it's a nice easy read anyway. I think I liked it up to a point and then it got a bit silly .. hope you're still enjoying it Claire :)

Finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt today.  Review over on yonder book thread. :)

Looking forward to next month's selection by Tartt!

WTH is the yonder book thread. :) I have searched and searched and cannot find it.

I am about 57% finished and find that the book has more turns than the Laguna Seca racetrack. However, I am enjoying it so far.

Edited by muggle not

WTH is the yonder book thread. :) I have searched and searched and cannot find it.

I am about 57% finished and find that the book has more turns than the Laguna Seca racetrack. However, I am enjoying it so far.

x

I presume pontalba means her own book log?

I just finished reading Diane Chamberlain - The Shadow Wife (Cypress Point). It was excellent, really enjoyable.

x

I presume pontalba means her own book log?

:icon_oops:  Ahhh, muggle! Yup, what she said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :rolol:

Thanks, Gaia. :cool:   :smile:

:icon_oops:  Ahhh, muggle! Yup, what she said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :rolol:

Thanks, Gaia. :cool:   :smile:

x

You're welcome :).

x

I've finished Starstruck by Pat Tucker and I've started Stolen Child by Laura Elliot.

x

I loved Stolen Child, I hope you enjoy it too :).

I've started to read Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones 3: Mad About The Boy and am enjoying it so far. I still have quite a few questions though about what happened in between book 2 and 3 (I'm not that far into the book yet), but hopefully it'll all be revealed in due time.

I finally finished A Tale of Two Cities last night. It was ok, but not brilliant. I'm still glad I read it though.

I also have another 30 odd pages left of Gulp, which I'm enjoying immensly. Then it's onto The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It's a re-read, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I finally finished A Tale of Two Cities last night. It was ok, but not brilliant. I'm still glad I read it though.

x

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much as you'd hoped. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Gulp though :).