Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

I like to watch the BBC coverage of golf, but it's more enjoyable to titter at the commentary by Peter Alliss. He has a very dry sense of humour, and he can be a bit grumpy sometimes, but he makes me laugh! I will try to find his Golf - The Cure for a Grumpy Old Man  sometime.

Edit: His book is in my county library, so I've requested it.  :D The Internet, what would I do without it?!  :D

Let's not think about that too much, the Internet-less world is a scary place... It's like the 80s! :lol:

Have you seen the movie Frankie?  How does it compare to the book?  I saw the movie when it came out before I knew there was a book, and really liked it. 

I have seen the film but I didn't much like it... It was okay, but there was just too little of Marley in it :) I think John Grogan was trying to steal the limelight... And he was succesful, because they didn't let Marley in as much as was warranted, did the? :D

But if you liked the movie, I'm sure you'd like the book, too :) And there are some nice additional anecdotes at the end of the book. Grogan got a lot of messages and letters from his readers (he was - may still be, I don't know - a columnist and wrote about Marley sometimes in his column) and some of the stories are so funny and so endearing... It's great extra in the book :)

Haven't read much of anything, besides catching up on some newspapers and periodicals around here.  I'm about 135 pages into Purge, but every time I pick it up, something distracts me. :)

Purge is beginning to come together, and I'm understanding most of the connections, I believe. 

Blast them distractions!! :(:giggle:

I managed about 50 pages of Marley last night in bed. About 140 pages to go!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A contributing factor to my lack of reading is I'm actually learning to work in a library as library tech! 

:boogie: Working in library as a library tech... :boogie:   :animal: *green with envy*

Oh yes, hello! :006: . I'm a newbie, I started in Oct, I think...

I'm so glad you're reading this, but I'm almost a little scared that you won't like it!

Weird quoting going on...

I know A Christmas Carol is one of your favourites! I will do my best to enjoy it :P

I'm currently about a third through, the Ghost of Christmas Past has just appeared.

Let's not think about that too much, the Internet-less world is a scary place... It's like the 80s! :lol:

*little voice of an old crone* I can remember times when we didn't have the Internet, mobile phones, CD's, videos.....  :blush2:  .... :giggle2: .

*little voice of an old crone* I can remember times when we didn't have the Internet, mobile phones, CDs, videos.....  :blush2:  .... :giggle2: .

I do, too, and it was fun, but I can't picture my life without BCF :blush:

Edit: Well, I always had videos... Be they VHS or Beta .... :D

Edited by frankie

I do, too, and it was fun, but I can't picture my life without BCF :blush:

Edit: Well, I always had videos... Be they VHS or Beta .... :D

:I-Agree: . And I've only been here a few months.... :D

We had Beta :blush2: , you hardly had any decent films at the video rental shop for Beta.

I am reading The Goldfinch. I had a hard time getting into the first 10% of the book but am now 20% into it and I am totally engrossed. Very good writing and the storyline is now also very good. Now that I am 20% into the book I understand more the first part. So far I really enjoy the book.

*little voice of an old crone* I can remember times when we didn't have the Internet, mobile phones, CDs, videos.....  :blush2:  .... :giggle2: .

That's right sonny-boy, I remember walking to school, barefoot.........in the snow!  :P

right, snow in new orleans....yeah.  :doh:

I am reading The Goldfinch. I had a hard time getting into the first 10% of the book but am now 20% into it and I am totally engrossed. Very good writing and the storyline is now also very good. Now that I am 20% into the book I understand more the first part. So far I really enjoy the book.

Glad to hear it.  I put it on my kindle....on a good sale. :)

I have seen the film but I didn't much like it... It was okay, but there was just too little of Marley in it :) I think John Grogan was trying to steal the limelight... And he was succesful, because they didn't let Marley in as much as was warranted, did the? :D

But if you liked the movie, I'm sure you'd like the book, too :) And there are some nice additional anecdotes at the end of the book. Grogan got a lot of messages and letters from his readers (he was - may still be, I don't know - a columnist and wrote about Marley sometimes in his column) and some of the stories are so funny and so endearing... It's great extra in the book :)

x

I liked the film, and like the book even more (I watched the film before I had the book). I agree about those stories, I thought that was a really nice extra. Congrats on managing another 50 pages :)!

I've continued to read George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 3: A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow and am quite far in it. It's quite enjoyable though there are a few cringy bits. After this I'm thinking of reading the third Bridget Jones book.

I finished reading Anton Chekhov's The Shooting Party last night. That's one of the best books I've read this year :smile: ! Having to decide whether it will be a 5 1/2 out of 6, or go as far as 6/6 rating. Mmmn, I will have to think about this.... 

There seems to be have been an avalanche of M. C. Beaton books on the Kindle Daily Deals this week, but so far I've only found one that I didn't already have, so I just bought one so far.

Reading wise, I've had my first good day of reading for a while, and finished Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey, and am just about to start my reading group book, Crow Stone by Jenni Mills.

I've finished The Howling Man this afternoon :smile:.Great stuff -  a fairy tale meets Rambo.... :D .

My next book for World Tour by Fiction will be Who Fears Death? by Nnedi Okorafor (Nigerian-American author) writes speculative fiction, as a post-apocalyptic Africa.

Edit:Started Chocky by John Wyndham, my first Wyndham novel, and I like it already.  :smile:

Edited by Marie H

Picked up Stephen King's Under The Dome at the charity shop today, that's four of his I have now, maybe I should read one at some point...They are just sooo big! :D

Will finish The Watcher in the Shadows tonight hopefully then I can start A Christmas Carol tomorrow.  :grinhat:

I've started The Goldfinch now, read about 18% so far.  I have to say, though, that it grabbed me right away, from the very first page.  Tartt drew the grief process so accurately, and poignantly.....it was truly stellar. 

im halfway through The Stand, only another 3,500 pages to go haha, just kidding. Im enjoying it more 2nd time around, dont want it to end!!

Heh....I loved The Stand, only read it this year, for about the first time.  I've never been sure, but I thought I'd read the shorter version when I was younger.  But I might have read a bit of the Dark Tower series.....

I've started The Goldfinch now, read about 18% so far.  I have to say, though, that it grabbed me right away, from the very first page.  Tartt drew the grief process so accurately, and poignantly.....it was truly stellar. 

I'm getting The Goldfinch for christmas, i can't wait to read it  :exc: I think Tartt has a way of capturing things so perfectly it takes your breath away.

I had a whole afternoon of reading yesterday, bliss!!! So i'm now over halfway through 1356  Bernard Cornwell, i'm totally hooked such an exciting story  :smile:

I finished A Christmas Carol and absolutely loved it :D I feel properly Christmassy now - I went and watched Love Actually!

Started something completely different - The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler.

I know A Christmas Carol is one of your favourites! I will do my best to enjoy it :P

I finished A Christmas Carol and absolutely loved it :D I feel properly Christmassy now - I went and watched Love Actually!

I've only just caught up with this thread and I was going to post that I wouldn't actually hold it against you if you didn't like it...

...but I'm absolutely stoked that you did! :D  :exc:

I'm about to start The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper.  :)  I read the first few pages in bed about three nights ago but I was so tired I stopped and I can't remember what I read!  I've been so busy it's been madness trying to find any reading time!