Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

:D Now I'm getting rather curious! :D What old-fashioned names... Sanelma! I've never known anyone to go by that name... :D

Oh yes, it's seems to be set sometime after the end of world war 2, and for some reason people only have horse and cart, or bicycles, but no motor vehicles  :dunno: . Post-war hard times, possibly :dunno:. Those first names must be old fashioned, it sounded to someone young like you  :giggle2::D  . Sanelma remind me of the English name Sandra, which was more popular up to the 1970's, but is very unfashionable now. They call Gunner the miller "Kunnari, in the Finnish way", and are seem to be prejudiced as he came from South Finland. The local people seem to be very small minded.

As my art tutor friend says, about mojo problems - "don't force it, just wait until it happens" - which is good advice, but it still :censored: you off big-time when it isn't happening.  :giggle:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought on special kindle today:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Son by Philipp Meyer

The Wasteland Saga: Three Novels: Old Man and the Wasteland, The Savage Boy, The Road is a River by Nick Cole. 

Bought on special kindle today:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Son by Philipp Meyer

The Wasteland Saga: Three Novels: Old Man and the Wasteland, The Savage Boy, The Road is a River by Nick Cole. 

I keep getting Goldfinch recommended to me.  Seems interesting, not sure if my cup of tea.

The boyfriend has asked for a list of books that I would like for Christmas . . . Now to pick which ones hehe

Ahhh, he knows not the depth of the water in which he treads..............:D

Ooh I want it ... badly :blush2: 

It's getting good reviews .. hope you like it Kate :smile: 

me too!!

You talked me into it. I just bought Goldfinch at $7.49

:D  Hope you, actually, hope we both like it! heh

Georges Perec's the art and craft of approaching your head of department to submit a request for a raise arrived this morning  :D a book with no composition so no commas no semi colon or full stops  :giggle2: what a crazy guy georges must have been  :giggle:

Finished The Penultimate Truth last night, ended up really enjoying it.  Thanks, Kay! :D

Working on a review.

AIE: posted over yonder.

Edited by pontalba

I've just read 53 pages in an hour, so am now on page 113 at the end of chapter 21 of Nothing Else Matters by S.D. Tooley.

Finished Newes from the Dead, great story and even more amazing when you consider it is based on a true story. Thank you Claire for loaning it to me! :)

It's great isn't it Hayley? .. and so nice that the same copy has been read by four BCF membies :)

Have at last finished A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz after starting it in February :blush2: (I left off when ill and went right back to the beginning again as couldn't quite remember the storyline.) It's 710 pages of brilliance :smile: 

Will hopefully start Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson later today and also carry on with Round the Christmas Fire .. have read seven of the short stories/extracts so far.

Finished The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. I'm still reading The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth. I've been reading it for a couple of months now but it's the kind of book that you can pick up and put down whenever you want.

Now, I'm toying with the idea of reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions..... :blink: