Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

Hope you find something you enjoy soon Kate, I'm sure you have a couple more books dotted around the place you can try? ;):D

I've finished The Last Werewolf, but only because I skimmed the second half.. I should've believed the reviews! :(

That takes me to 59 for the year. I did have a target of 60 but hey-ho, the second half of this year was much busier that the first and I've been mojo wrestling the last couple of months, so all in all I'm pretty happy. I think I have actually read more pages (thank you Goodreads stats) this year over last so some of the books have at least been longer. I won't be setting myself a target for 2014 as I don't cope well with failure and would rather just enjoy my reading. :)

On that note I am going to start The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd next, I am hoping it will be as good as The Secret Life of Bees. :)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books received for Christmas

'The Time Keeper' by Mitch Albom

'The Good Father' by Diane Chamberlain

'Instructions for a Heatwave' by Maggie O'Farrell

'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan' by Lisa See

x

Nice haul! I loved The Good Father, I hope you'll like it too :)

x

I've started and dropped a couple of books this morning. :) /sigh/ Not sure what is next.

Awww :( I hope you find something you can get into, soon.

x

That takes me to 59 for the year. I did have a target of 60 but hey-ho, the second half of this year was much busier that the first and I've been mojo wrestling the last couple of months, so all in all I'm pretty happy. I think I have actually read more pages (thank you Goodreads stats) this year over last so some of the books have at least been longer. I won't be setting myself a target for 2014 as I don't cope well with failure and would rather just enjoy my reading. :)

x

59 is still a pretty good number, sorry to hear you didn't meet your target though :(. It sounds like a good idea to not set much goals, that way you can enjoy the reading more rather than feeling like a failure if you don't meet them. :hug: 

Starting on my 2014 TBR list with Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

That's a lovely book, hope you enjoy it.

I've just started reading Metamorphosis by Kafka. My mother asked me what it was about, then gave me a weird look when I told her. She must think I'm a very strange child..

Hope you find something you enjoy soon Kate, I'm sure you have a couple more books dotted around the place you can try? ;):D

Athena wrote: Awww :( I hope you find something you can get into, soon.

Thanks, y'all. :) I have, natch.  :giggle:

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch, first in a series.  Interesting, but not gripping, so far.

Had one final splurge for 2013 on the 12 Days of Kindle sale today:

Understanding Austen: Key Concepts in the Six Novels by Maggie Lane
Lady Margery's Intrigue by M. C. Beaton
Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (books 1-4) by M. C. Beaton
The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain

The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain[/font]

x

I hope you enjoy your books, Chesilbeach :)!

I started reading Nick Spalding - Love... 3: Love Under Different Skies which is pretty amusing so far.

I just finished reading two very enjoyable books. I recommend them both. I bought them as a promotion as a kindle ebook for .99 cents each. Review from Amazon:

Walk Me Home – Catherine Ryan Hyde

Since their mother’s sudden death, sixteen-year-old Carly and her eleven-year-old sister, Jen, have been walking and hitchhiking across the Southwest trying to find Teddy, the closest thing they have to a family. Carly desperately hopes Teddy will take them in and save them from going into foster care—and forgive them for the lies told by their mother.

But when the starving girls get caught stealing food on a Native American reservation, their journey gets put on hold. While the girls work off their debt, Carly becomes determined to travel onward—until Jen confesses a terrible secret that leaves both sisters wondering if they can ever trust again.

Set against the backdrop of the American Southwest, Walk Me Home and its resilient heroines will inspire readers and renew their faith in recovery and redemption.

The Accounting – William Lashner

Jon Willing was just a teenager when he and his pals Augie and Ben stole a fortune in drug money. Brazen with youth and stoned out of their gourds, they thought they had the perfect plan for getting away with it.

They were wrong.

Twenty-five years later, Jon’s marriage is on the rocks, his kids are virtual strangers, and the recession has taken his job and decimated his finances. Worst of all, when he finds Augie murdered in Vegas, he knows the past has risen from its grave to grab him by the throat.

The battle that ensues will send Jon skittering across a landscape wracked by the Great Recession to confront the demons of his past: the grade-school bully who has terrorized him for decades, the grandfather that betrayed him, the girl that got away. And in the middle of a fight to death, with his daughter’s life hanging in the balance, Jon Willing learns the most brutal of truths.

Edited by muggle not

I finished my last book of 2013 as well last night - A Distant Shore by Caryl Phillips, who was born in St Kitts in the Caribbean. I have to say that I was very impressed. Most of his books seem to be available on Kindle, so I will definitely be reading more of them.

I have read the grand sum of 90 books then this year - the most I have ever managed, which can't be bad. I wonder if next year I will make it to 100 ?   

I've also just finished my last book of the year, one of my Christmas presents - Alex, the Dog and an Unopenable Door by Ross Montgomery.  Great kids book, fun, exciting and sad in parts, but an excellent quest for children, and one I think would work well read aloud.  Probably aimed at the 8-12 year old, but certainly entraining enough for this adult to read too. :)

I'm nearing the halfway mark in Secret History hoping to finish it before the years out ready for the reading circle discussion. Coincidentially the books being discussed on Radio 4's bookclub on Sunday 5th, January for anyone who's interested in tuning in 

Really? What an odd but delightful coincidence :D Oh man, I think I will need to mention this in the thread!

Looking forward to discussing the book with you in January! :)

On that note I am going to start The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd next, I am hoping it will be as good as The Secret Life of Bees.

I loved The Secret Life of Bees and I'm now reading The Invention of Wings also by Sue Monk Kidd. I'm only 25 pages in but it's very promising. Enjoy!

I was just about to ask about the book but then saw your ^ later post. Very happy to hear you are enjoying the book! :)

Had one final splurge for 2013 on the 12 Days of Kindle sale today:

The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain

Last chance splurging for 2013, well worth it :D

I've started The Secret Life of Bees. Very good so far.

Glad to hear you are liking it :)

I finished the third Karlsson book by Astrid Lindgren. Superb :smile2: The series is going on my Frankie recommends -list!

Started The Secret History by Donna Tartt (a bit late :blush:) and got sucked in right from the get go. Awesome :D

I am now officially reading Books of Blood #1 by Clive Barker and Salems Lot by Stephen King.  Both are yummy already.  Had to give up The Handmaids Tale after 100 pages (Thanks Frankie)

I am now officially reading Books of Blood #1 by Clive Barker and Salems Lot by Stephen King.  Both are yummy already.  Had to give up The Handmaids Tale after 100 pages (Thanks Frankie)

No worries, happy to hear you are yummying other books :D Enjoy!

My kids gave me 6 Ian Rankin books for my birthday today.  I got: 

Watchman

The Naming of the Dead

Let it Bleed

Dead Souls

Resurrection Men

Strip Jack.

The last five are from the Rebus series which I love.  I've read them all, but recently decided I wanted to own them.  

Edited by bookmonkey