Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

Hope you enjoy your new haul :smile: , they seem were a good bunch, for a BHF 'library'. I find the BHF prices are a bit steep, as charity shop do. I hope your Dad loves the Peter Alliss book. I can spend hours listening to Peter's commentary on the golf/life in general :blush2::giggle2:  

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can spend hours listening to Peter's commentary on the golf/life in general :blush2::giggle2:  

He's very funny  :D   He used to make me laugh when he called Corey Pavin 'Crazy Pavin' :lol:  "If he swings any harder the ball will disappear up his trouser leg"  :giggle2:

He's very funny  :D   He used to make me laugh when he called Corey Pavin 'Crazy Pavin' :lol:  "If he swings any harder the ball will disappear up his trouser leg"  :giggle2:

Ah yes, Alliss is a gem :D​ , I love when he does 'people watching', on live BBC TV. Wonderful stuff  :rolol:

I was donating some book to the BHF shop today and couldn't resist a quick look see, their books are dearer than most but their selection is usually better. I came away with -

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Jamaica Inn - Daphne Du Maurier

The Last Werewolf - Glen Duncan

and

Golf - The Cure for a Grumpy Old Man by Peter Alliss for my Dad

I think I may have to stash some books in a hiding place when Steve comes home or I'll be in trouble! :D

Nice haul! :) The golf book sounds great... :D Not that I know anything about the sports or this Peter Alliss you all talk about, but a book title with the word 'grumpy' in it is always a plus :D

I'm on page 158 of Marley & Me, wohoo! I didn't remember it was so much about John and the people... I keep rolling my eyes, thinking, shut it, and let's talk about Marley!! :blush:

I'm on page 158 of Marley & Me, wohoo! I didn't remember it was so much about John and the people... I keep rolling my eyes, thinking, shut it, and let's talk about Marley!! :blush:

x

I can understand this, Marley's so great to read about :).  

I enjoyed it.  The first one was better, but this was still good.

x

I'm glad to hear you liked it, though it's a shame you didn't like it as much as the first one. I've read the books (1-4) when I was a lot younger and also enjoyed the first one more than the second one. 

I have started reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. For some reason I always thought this would be a difficult read, but it's very easy!

x

That's nice to hear! It's on my TBR. I hope you enjoy the whole book :).

Finally getting into the Christmas spirit so I have just started A Christmas Carol. I've never read it before so really looking forward to this one!

x

I hope you enjoy it :)!

Nice haul! :) The golf book sounds great... :D Not that I know anything about the sports or this Peter Alliss you all talk about, but a book title with the word 'grumpy' in it is always a plus :D

I like to watch the BBC coverage of golf, but it's more enjoyable to titter at the commentary by Peter Alliss. He has a very dry sense of humour, and he can be a bit grumpy sometimes, but he makes me laugh! I will try to find his Golf - The Cure for a Grumpy Old Man  sometime.

Edit: His book is in my county library, so I've requested it.  :D The Internet, what would I do without it?!  :D

Edited by Marie H

I was donating some book to the BHF shop today and couldn't resist a quick look see, their books are dearer than most but their selection is usually better. I came away with -

BHF is my second favourite charity shop for books.  I don't know what it is about them, but they seem to get the best selection of books!   :)

Finally getting into the Christmas spirit so I have just started A Christmas Carol. I've never read it before so really looking forward to this one!

I'm so glad you're reading this, but I'm almost a little scared that you won't like it! 

The Stand is one of my favorite books - I've lost count how many times I have read it. Hope you enjoy it. :smile:

This is my 2nd time of reading it, its also one of my favourite books. Last time i read it i hadnt read the Dark Tower series but this time i have so i know and understand more about Randall Flagg.

Ditto!

Started Misery by Stephen King

Miserys one of my favourite books! The film is one of my fave films, Kathy Bates was born to play the role of Annie Wilkes.

I have not been on here much recently due to the fact I don't read much these days. I'm currently reading a StarWars novel by Joe Schrieber and The Toon a history of Newcastle United. A contributing factor to my lack of reading is I'm actually learning to work in a library as library tech! 

The Toon a History of Newcastle United - good book!

Have you seen the movie Frankie?  How does it compare to the book?  I saw the movie when it came out before I knew there was a book, and really liked it. 

Haven't read much of anything, besides catching up on some newspapers and periodicals around here.  I'm about 135 pages into Purge, but every time I pick it up, something distracts me. :)

Purge is beginning to come together, and I'm understanding most of the connections, I believe.