Polka Dot Rock's Books of 2007: Part 3

Polka Dot Rock

From June 25 (Previous Blogs are here: Part 1 and Part Two :hyper:)

Colour Key

Classics

Modern Classics

Short Stories

Recent/New Releases (2006/2007)

Doorsteps (Chunky monsters of a novel, approx. 400 pages +)

Currently Reading

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

August

Just In Case - Meg Rosoff (7/10)

Possession - A.S. Byatt (8/10)

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones (9/10)

Oscar & Lucinda

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Winner of this year’s Orange Prize and I can see why: a readable yet intense and often disturbing novel set just before, during and hardly after the Biafra war in Nigeria.

I thought the characters were well conceived and believable (at times, they are all too human). Orlanna was a good choice as a narrative ‘pivot’ and I liked that Richard’s occasionally naïve ways (such as his over-compensatory ‘Biafran-ness’) were frequently used throughout.

One of the most memorable scenes in the novel has to be the horrific attack in Kano, when one character discovers the corpses of close family, before narrowly escaping a similar fate.

Yet, for all backdrop of war, this novel uses the emotional and domestic lives of its characters to really heighten a sense of what was going on in Nigeria at the time. Half of a Yellow Sun has been compared to many classic, Victorian-era novels, and it’s Adichie’s use of letting the reader into the everyday lives and minds of her characters that enables us to care so much for them. Thus, when the war does occur, you fear for their lives.

I was also interested that Adichie used mainly middle-class Nigerian characters and also explored this social group: it isn’t a perspective of African life that readers frequently stumble across.

An utterly human and sobering account of a war I knew little about. Half of a Yellow Sun has rekindled my interest in contemporary African literature and I will definitely be reading more of Adichie in the future.

(Started 25 June – Finished 27 June)

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

I decided to follow Half of a Yellow Sun with a lighter-hearted read!

An enjoyable romp through literary crime and an alternative 1985 to the year I was born in: more gadgets and dodos, for a start.

I didn’t find it as laugh-out-loud funny I believe others have found it and the slightly ‘wacky’ tone (always a dodgy attribute for me!) was in danger of just being irritating. But to Fforde’s credit, it never did irritate me.

The only slight problem I had was with the chase / action scenes, as I always find those quite tedious to read (Eddie Izzard was right: it is hard to write a car chase!).

All in all, it was a bright, fun novel that really wears it’s love of literature on its S05 badge (see? An ‘in-book’ reference!).

The Jane Eyre sequence was wonderful and made me all smiley (as it’s my favourite novel), especially about the ‘changed’ ending. (One quibble: Mr Ingram isn’t in Jane Eyre – he’s already dead!)

I really enjoyed the characters and Thursday was a good mix of gritty and adorable.

With returning to full-time literary studying, these may be the perfect books to escape from all that literary criticism!

(Started & Finished 27 June. On a Thursday, would you believe?!)

The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories by Michel Faber

Hooray! At last! After feeling so utterly bereft at finishing The Crimson Petal & The White, I was avidly waiting to get my mitts on this. And, lo and behold, I got it on its week of (paperback) release at the shiny Exeter Waterstones. I was so excited, I ended up reading half on it on the train back to Barnstaple!

Well, it

*Phew!* I'm exhausted after typing all that lot out!

I started Digging to America by Anne Tyler yesterday: my mum read it on holiday and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

The blurb from the back cover:

Friday August 15th, 1997. Two tiny Korean babies are delivered to Baltimore to two families with nothing in common. First there are the Donaldsons, decent Brad and homespun Bitsy and a host of relatives, taking delivery with characteristic American razzmatazz. Then there are the Yazdans, pretty, nervous Ziba and carefully assimilated Sami, with his elegant Iranian-born widowed mother Maryam, receiving their little bundle with wondering discretion.

Every year, on the anniversary of

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

This really didn't disappoint! A very well written, intelligent and sympathetic account of two very different families both experiencing the unique joys of adopting Korean baby girls: Jin-Ho and Susan.

Interestingly, the girls' own stories of living in and adjusting to America are actually secondary to that of Maryam, Susan's grandmother. Maryam came to live in America before the revolution in Iran, and Tyler frequently looks at Maryam's experiences of being an outsider, both as a girl in Iran and as an adult in America.

Tyler doesn't just focus on Maryam, however: we also see perspectives from Bitsy (Jin-Ho's mother), Dave (Bitsy's father), Sami and Ziba (Susan's parents) and even Jin-Ho herself, in a very funny chapter. (With regards to this, I thought it was a shame that Susan doesn't have a similar opportunity, as I'd like to have seen things from her point of view).

Throughout the novel, I got a real sense of these characters as actual people, with all their flaws that could irritate you, but also the emotional reasons behind their behaviour. That said, it's a very funny novel, as well as moving.

Halfway through, the Donaldson's adopt a Chinese baby girl, Xiu-Mei, and her antics are hilarious! Her addiction to 'binkies' (dummies/pacifiers) is one of the funniest things I've read in ages.

I shall definitely be seeking out more Anne Tyler in the future!

I've now read four of the six Orange Prize nominees, and in my opinion, Half of a Yellow Sun was the most deserving winner, but I think Digging to America is definitely a close second. It's an unusual story that actually feels very familiar, so Tyler addresses a lot of issues whilst keeping you reading: it is a brilliant, yet easy-going, read.

The Inheritance of Loss is a beautiful book, but perhaps it was a more obvious Booker winner than an Orange one.

I even enjoyed Arlington Park (by Rachel Cusk), but I think Digging to America uses the middle-class family set-up in a more effective way. And I felt more for Tyler's characters, too.

I haven't yet read The Observations by Jane Harris but I doubt I'll bother as my mum is currently at her wits end with it! She says it's very predictable, contrived and - oh dear - boring. But I may give it a chance.

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo isn't going to be in paperback 'til January 2008(!), so it'll be a while before I embark on that. But I have read the first few pages and it looks very funny, so I shall be keeping it in mind.

List Updated :)

I've had a slow reading week: it seems that it's my turn to lose my Reading Mojo (oh no!). I decided to give up on Regeneration as I just wasn't enagaged with it at all. Which is a shame, but it happens.

However, I've been making up for it in other ways: I watched my DVD of the recent Jane Eyre BBC adaptation which is a fantastic version of my favourite novel. Then I accidentally discovered that Tsitsi Dangarembga has finally published the sequel to my other favourite book, Nervous Conditions! I was randomly searching for African literature and I stumbled across The Book of Not: Stopping the Time. It turns out that it's actually the long-awaited second part of Tambu's journey into adulthood. And it's only taken Dangarembga nearly 20 years to write it! Needless to say, it should be arriving here soon :thud:

The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa (trans. Daniel Hahn) arrived on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to reading a novel narrated by a gecko(!). But before that, I've embarked on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's debut novel, Purple Hibiscus. Promising (and very intense!) start; it really reminds of Nervous Conditions, coincidentally!

• 2 weeks later...

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The limits of fifteen-year-old Kambili's world are defined by the high walls of her family estate and the dictates of her repressive and fanatically religious father. Her life is regulated by schedules: prayer, sleep, study, and more prayer. When Nigeria begins to fall apart during a military coup, Kambili's father, involved mysteriously in the political crisis, sends Kambili and her brother away to live with their aunt. In this house, full of energy and laughter, she discovers life and love - and a terrible, bruising secret deep within her family.

After enjoying Half of a Yellow Sun, I thought I'd read Adichie's first novel. And what a debut! This is a highly atmospheric book about a timid, naive young girl who is part of a family that, to the outside world, is a model of perfection. Yet Kambili, her brother Jaja and her mother are basically prisoners in their own home, with her charismatic father seemingly controlling every aspect of her life.

The first part of the book takes place at Kambili's family homestead and I found these opening chapters very intense and quite claustrophobic: I felt like I was being slowly crushed! This clearly shows that Adichie found a very effective way of conveying that sort of emotional repression and fear.

I'm not sure how I'd have felt if the whole of the novel was like that. However, the sense of oppression lifted once Kambili's aunty, Ifeoma, enters the narrative. I really enjoyed the scenes between Ifeoma and her family, as they were feisty and likeable characters. These were the moments that really reminded me of one of my favourite novels, Nervous Conditions, especially the tenuous relationship between Kambili and her female cousin.

It's very hard to discuss this novel without revealing the plot! It is a solidly constructed Bildungsroman narrative, yet it may have felt a little 'generic' if it hadn't been for the elements of Nigerian politics that subtlety infiltrated through the novel. This is was set it apart from other novels that deal with journeys into adulthood and self identity and, like Half of a Yellow Sun, Adichie interweaves actual events in Nigeria with the plot development of her characters.

(15th July - 20th July)

List Updated :thud:

I've given it (another) revamp: Months are now from the current month descending so I/you can see what I've read most recently, and - next to those books that have them - there are links to corresponding Reviews I've posted on the forum :) (To Be Read and Wanted lists have had general updates too)

That's the admin stuff out of the way! :lol:

Yesterday, I finished The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa (trans. Daniel Hahn) and I really enjoyed it: I definitely want to read it again and it's so short that there's no excuse for not doing so! It's very provocative and also, once again, provides some little snippets of the political background of modern Angola. I learn so much about different African countries through fiction!

I shall write up my full thoughts on it very soon.

I've decided to embark on Meg Rosoff's latest, Just In Case, which I've been looking forward to: her style is amazing - it's certainly a gift to be have that confidence in what teenagers can and want to read. She aims really high and I love that about her. For example, this novel is definitely about a teenager having an existential crisis but is waaaaaay more ambitious than Catcher in the Rye. Great stuff so far!

It's one of literature's greatest assests, isn't it? You can learn so much about so many different subjects from it.

Yes when I did literature I felt as though I was also studying sociology, psychology, philosophy, politics, history, geography etc - all those new worlds I was entering.

On Friday night, I finished Just In Case - I did enjoy it but it wasn't in the same league as How I Live Now. Still, I thought it was very well done and an unusual novel for teenagers.

Now, however, I'm not sure what to read! I have a few options in mind but I can't decide...

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

Possession - A.S. Byatt

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Knowing me, I probably won't end up picking any of those in the end! :D(Weirdly, I really want to read The Book of Not -Tsitsi Dangarembga but I want to 'save' it!)

Gah! I hate moods like this!

Update: I decided upon Possession by A.S. Byatt and I'm really enjoying it so far :D

List Updated :)

Possession is still ticking along nicely... It's quite a strange reading experience, actually: I keep skimming certain passages but I am really enjoying it. I don't really do that! (Unless it's a course book *ahem*)

Last week, I listed the rest of my books on Green Metropolis and signed up with Book Mooch and Read It, Swap It. Well, I feel like a one women book despatching service! :lol: I can't believe how many books I've sold in the last three weeks with GM!

On the swapping front, I have to say I'm enjoying Book Mooch more than RISI. I've already sent four books out, including The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to Denver in America, and someone in New Zealand is kindly sending me a book.

So I had quite a few books to add to my creaking TBR pile! As follows:

Opening Skinner

Finished Possession on Sunday: I really enjoyed it and marvel at the amount of work Byatt must have done in creating (wildly different) academic texts and creating two unique poetic voices, alongside a complex narrative.

I must admit that I did end up skimming quite a bit of the novel (especially the poetry - Victorian poets just aren't my thing!), but this didn't hamper my enjoyment nor understanding. However, I think it was a good thing that I knew what was going to happen (because of reading John Mullan's How Novels Work), as I can understand why others may get frustrated with it. (My copy was from a second-hand bookshop and I could see from the spine that it had only been read to the halfway point. I can imagine that's typical for many reading Possession).

I was left feeling extremely sad at the conclusion and actually just sat where I was for quite a while! It really made me think about love and 'doing the right thing', even if it may be it isn't what you really want.

But I was also very amused throughout by the exploits of all the academics, who I thought were written brilliantly (and recognisably so!).

As of last night, I'm now reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I've been pleasantly surprised by the opening chapters, as they are not how I presumed they'd be. Hard to describe exactly what I mean but I'm encouraged to continue :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've hit a snag in my enjoyment of Life of Pi :eek2: Nothing to do with the actual book, which I am enjoying very much: it's me! I've been feeling so overemotional this week about moving and I realised that Life of Pi wasn't helping me feel better. All that talk of loneliness really started making me feel worse! So I had to give up this week, which is a shame. (I ended up re-reading Roald Dahl's Matilda instead as that's one of my favourite books and always cheers me up, lol :D)

I really hope I can go back to it soon as it would be a real shame to abandon it completely. I feel back-to-normal today but I'm not sure I want to risk tears by re-embarking upon that lonely boat!

...you are loads ahead of me as I haven't reached that part yet. I am hoping to read lots today and tomorrow though....however I'm enjoying what I've read so far.

You'll be way ahead of me by the time I get 'round to carrying on reading it, Maureen :) It is very enjoyable tho', I agree.

List Updated :lol:

Well, my TBR pile has gained a fair few more inches this week! By verious means and from various places, I've ended up with the following:

In Custody - Anita Desai (mother of Kiran 'Inheritance of Loss' Desai)

Howards End - EM Forster

The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy, a Gentleman - Laurence Sterne (I watched A Cock & Bull Story last weekend and couldn't resist getting this as I enjoyed the spirit of the film so much :) Also, I rarely read anything pre-19th century!)

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde

A Grain of Wheat - Wa Thiong'o Ngugi

I'm really pleased as some of these I've wanted for a good while now, so it's nice to 'spice up' my interest again.

It'll be great to read Howards End then re-read On Beauty afterwards: I've been meaning to do that since reading the latter last year.

Well, I'm off to (sunny?) North Devon again and taking a huge pile of books - I can't make up my mind what I want to read the most!!

Oscar & Lucinda - Peter Carey

The Book of Not - Tsitsi Dangarembga

The Secret River - Kate Grenville

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy, a Gentleman - Laurence Sterne

And I've taken Dante's Inferno and three text books to guilt-trip myself into starting my MA reading list :roll: