Devon - [alternative] The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Synopsis:
The terrible spectacle of the beast, the fog of the moor, the discovery of a body: this classic horror story pits detective against dog, rationalism against the supernatural, good against evil. When Sir Charles Baskerville is found dead on the wild Devon moorland with the footprints of a giant hound nearby, the blame is placed on a family curse. It is left to Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to solve the mystery of the legend of the phantom hound before Sir Charles' heir comes to an equally gruesome end. The Hound of the Baskervilles gripped readers when it was first serialised and has continued to hold its place in the popular imagination.

Go to
main Devon thread

• 3 years later...

I decided to read this book for Devon, as I'd already read the main choice of the Agatha Christie book.  I'd quite enjoyed the Greater London choice of the short stories of Sherlock Holmes, but had felt that I'd wanted a more in depth, explanatory story, so was looking forward to this one to be able to compare.  I've got the entire Sherlock Holmes collection on audiobook read by Stephen Fry, so I decided to listen to it.

I have to be honest and say that I can actually remember very little of the actual story, despite only having listened a couple of months ago!  Fry is normally a very engaging narrator, but i must say, I got a little bit bored while listening to this story.  I'm not sure if it was the story itself or just the narration, but I do remember feeling a large wave of relief when I got to the end.  I can't really say much more than that, other than it just wasn't my thing, in the end.  Maybe I'd be better to read it myself, and I may well give that a go at some point in the future.