Dorset - Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

DORSET

Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Synopsis:
Independent and spirited Bathsheba Everdene has come to Weatherbury to take up her position as a farmer on the largest estate in the area. Her bold presence draws three very different suitors: the gentleman-farmer Boldwood, soldier-seducer Sergeant Troy and the devoted shepherd Gabriel Oak. Each, in contrasting ways, unsettles her decisions and complicates her life, and tragedy ensues, threatening the stability of the whole community. The first of his works set in Wessex, Hardy's novel of swiftpassion and slow courtship is imbued with his evocative descriptions of rural life and landscapes, and with unflinching honesty about sexual relationships.

Other Dorset books:

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

• 9 months later...

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy ******

(Copy of review in my blog thread)

Much as I've enjoyed previous Hardy novels I've tried, I've always shied away from Far From The Madding Crowd. Some distant memory of the Julie Christie version left a lingering sense of heavy tragedy, bolstered by general comments on Hardy's work, suggested that I needed just the right moment to enjoy this, and that moment never seemed to come. Then it featured here in the English Counties Challenge, so I decided to gird my loins (or whatever!) and give it a go during the summer holidays. I'm now left with the overwhelming feeling of why on earth did I wait this long?

Yes, there is a tragic element, but there's so much, much more. Four powerful, highly individual and contrasting characters stand at the centre, setting each other off to perfection. Dominating them all is the wildly impulsive, independent, beautiful Bathsheba, encircled by her three suitors. The plot centres on the dramatic dynamics of their relationship.

Characters and plot around the four are both brilliantly developed, well balanced but still with all the drama that one could hope for. However, whilst that's obviously vital to what makes this book so good, they are not, for me, the decisive elements in taking it from the ranks of a good yarn into the realms of the greats. To do this, Hardy also weaves in a wonderful supporting cast of villagers, each full of character in his or her own right, with a setting, founded on the annual cycle of a rural lifestyle and emphasising the centrality of nature itself, that is beautifully and evocatively drawn. Scene after scene brings this world  powerfully to life: Gabriel Oak's flocks on the Dorset hills, sheep-shearing, market time, harvesting, preparing for a great storm, inside the tavern.  I don't think it's any coincidence that the last words of the book are given to one of those characters.  How realistic this description is is possibly another question, rural poverty and social reform being at the forefront at the time Hardy is writing about, but, allowing for Hardy's rose tinted spectacles, one still gets drawn right into the heart of the world Hardy is so obviousy passionate about.

Hardy's passion carries one along.  I was certainly blown away by Far From The Madding Crowd: I really didn't expect it to be so good! It just goes to show how one's memories and preconceptions can play tricks on you. I definitely need to explore his writing again, soon. In the meantime, it's been easy to choose the next book to be read, as I've had Claire Tomalin's biography of the author on my shelves for a while, waiting to be read.

Edited by willoyd

• 1 year later...

There are probably too many superlatives in my review, but here goes!  :D

When shepherd Gabriel Oak encounters a mysterious woman with long dark hair he is immediately captivated, not only by her beauty but also by her spirit. Later, she saves his life and he proposes, but she rejects him and he resolves never to ask again. A change of circumstance means he is forced to head to Weatherbury to seek work, and there he once again encounters the woman – Bathsheba and two further suitors, gentleman farmer Boldwood and a womanising soldier called Sergeant Troy…

When I first started reading this and logged it on Goodreads a friend posted the comment “Sheep, sheep, sheep, sheep, sheep, sheep, plot!”  :giggle:  Fortunately, it didn’t feel that way to me and I got into it really quickly.

As ever, the characterisation is spot-on. Oak’s warmth and kindness, Bathsheba’s strength, Boldwood’s steady but slightly pessimistic nature, Troy’s philandering ways, the tragic Fanny Robin... are all brilliantly portrayed - but it is not just the main characters who make this novel so great - the ‘supporting cast’ are all excellently written and their contribution helps to add humour to the novel. Hardy also has a great way of making the surroundings feel like part of the plot. The two previous Hardys I have read before have both been fantastic and thankfully this book was no exception. Hardy’s writing is simply wonderful and he’s definitely turning into one of my favourite classic writers. Brilliant.

5/5

The two previous Hardys I have read before have both been fantastic and thankfully this book was no exception. Hardy’s writing is simply wonderful and he’s definitely turning into one of my favourite classic writers. Brilliant.

5/5

Same here, Janet. Hardy is an author I wanted and attempted to read several times over the years but could never get past the very descriptive passages he uses to set the scene before he gets into the story proper. I don't know why I had that problem because I'm a big fan of travel writing so you'd think it would be just up my street. That all changed this year and I've read four of his books. I love the depth of his characters. Hardy really seems to me to be as much philosopher/psychologist as author and deeply interested in morality and motivation. Some of his perceptions really pulled me up and I had to stop and think about them. I also like the way the countryside figures so strongly, despite my always falling at that hurdle in the past. He's definitely now one of my top classic writers too.

I think this is my favourite of his books, with many unforgettable moments - and the image of poor Fanny Robin counting the fence-posts has always stayed with me.  Probably his most accomplished, rounded work. And yes, the film with Julie Christie is definitely the best version (haven't seen the new one yet).

I love the depth of his characters. Hardy really seems to me to be as much philosopher/psychologist as author and deeply interested in morality and motivation. Some of his perceptions really pulled me up and I had to stop and think about them. I also like the way the countryside figures so strongly, despite my always falling at that hurdle in the past. He's definitely now one of my top classic writers too.

Yes, his characterisation in the three I've read has been fantastic.  I can't wait to read some more.  :)

I think this is my favourite of his books, with many unforgettable moments - and the image of poor Fanny Robin counting the fence-posts has always stayed with me.  Probably his most accomplished, rounded work. And yes, the film with Julie Christie is definitely the best version (haven't seen the new one yet).

Ah yes, poor Fanny.  :wibbly:  I haven't seen a film version of it.  I expect the new one will be on TV before too long.  :)

Janet, reading your review brought back memories of a book on which we are thoroughly agreed! FFTMC is certainly amongst my top ten books now - it blew me away when I read it last year. I've not read a huge amount of Hardy, but this is my favourite to date, and, like you, he's turning into a favourite.

I'm definitely going to try to read another before the year is out.  :)  The question is, which one? 

I know plenty of other titles, even though I don't know what any are about.  I'd heard a bit about this and The Mayor of Casterbridge before I read them, and I'd seen a film version of 'Tess' when it first came out on video (I think it was directed by Roman Polanski).

I might go for Two on a Tower as my Mum loves Hardy and she mentioned this one the other day when we were discussing Stourhead.  She was wondering whether the Folly there influenced one of Hardy's locations.  I haven't Googled yet to see if it does.

Happy to see so many fans of this book. :) I remember having quite a difficult time getting into it, but I thoroughly loved it by the end. FFTMC is the only Hardy I've read to date, but I definitely plan to read more one day.

I finished it this afternoon, and have absolutely loved it.  I've always steered away from Hardy - I think it stems from watching the film adaptation of Jude The Obscure which was so bleak, and assuming that all his work would be similar, and OH warning me off (he now says he was only warning me off Jude The Obscure but that's not how I remember it :giggle2:) - I'm so glad the challenge has now forced my hand, as I've found an author I definitely want to read more of.

Far From The Madding Crowd is completely captivating and the story of Bathsheba and the suitors that come into her life is enriched by the characters of the community around them, as well as wonderful passages of writing on the natural world.  My heart was with Gabriel Oak from the beginning to the end; his steadfastness gives a backbone to the novel, with the drama of Bathsheba's story bringing it to life.

After being very impressed recently by Melissa Harrison's Clay, I've been thinking a lot about other books I've enjoyed with nature being integral to the story, and it was a wonderful coincidence that Far From The Madding Crowd joined my ever growing list.  The description of the oncoming storm was brilliant - I don't normally quote books, but I just couldn't resist this section about the initial signs of the inclement weather to come:

"The night had a sinister aspect.  A heated breeze from the south slowly fanned the summits of lofty objects, and in the sky, dashes of buoyant cloud were sailing in a court at right angles to that of another stratum, neither of them in the direction of the breeze below.  The moon as seen through these films had a lurid metallic look.  The fields were sallow with the impure light, and all were tinged in monochrome, as if beheld through stained glass."

The chapters that cover Gabriel's attempts to protect the ricks as the storm descends have an immediacy and drama that caught me up in them completely.

As Willoyd and Janet have mentioned, the supporting characters are rounded and add life to the story.  There are some great vignettes with them, my favourite being a small scene with Cain trying to run and eat bread and ham at the same time … swallowing the wrong way and coughing while trying to recount the story of his trip to Bath.  This charming little passage becomes more serious as it leads to a revelation that brings sadness to Gabriel, but adds colour to the story.

All in all, a wonderful read, an undoubted gem on the challenge, and will lead me to more of Hardy's books.