Devon - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

DEVON

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Synopsis:
Ten strangers, apparently with little in common, are lured to an island mansion off the coast of Devon by the mysterious U.N.Owen. Over dinner, a record begins to play, and the voice of an unseen host accuses each person of hiding a guilty secret. That evening, former reckless driver Tony Marston is found murdered by a deadly dose of cyanide. The tension escalates as the survivors realise the killer is not only among them but is preparing to strike again! and again!

Alternative:
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle (link to book discussion thread)

Other Devon books:

To Serve Them All My Days by R. F. Delderfield
Sense and Sensibilty by Jane Austen
The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert

Edited by chesilbeach

• 1 month later...

I'll jump in with this one then :D

I've read a number of Agatha Christie novels and would one day like to complete the full list. this holds up well in comparison to the others - it's a cracker, IMO.

As for the challenge, I'm not sure how well it reflects Devon. It is set on Indian Island, a tiny island just off the coast which is cut off during stormy weather. I read the alternative - The Hound of the Baskervilles - recently, and I got a much deeper sense of the rolling moors of the county. Although, having said that I've only been to Devon once, which was to the coast over 10 years ago!

Back to the story then, it's a fantastic mystery. We are introduced to the ten participants as they each journey separately to Devon, and it becomes clear not all of them are going to be telling the truth to the rest! I got half the solution but not the full one - I was miles away - even though as the story progresses you think the solution must get easier and be within your grasp (because more and more keep dying...)!

I love Christie's ability to tell a tangled tale that actually has an extremely logical solution - once revealed! - and to really put the reader in the time and place of the story. Her pacing is sometimes frustrating - different character discussing the same points for several pages - but I always race to the end, desperate for the reveal.

I gave it a 4/5 and really enjoyed it.

It doesn't really reflect Devon at all but it's nice to see Agatha represented and in her hometown too

I read it earlier last year and enjoyed it enormously

Review: Fantastic! I enjoyed this even more than The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and particularly so because there was no Poirot or Miss Marple in the case. There’s an added excitement in knowing that the ten strangers have got to work out for themselves who amongst them is the killer (you'd imagine it was the last man/woman standing wouldn't you? .. hmmm .. well .. I'm not saying anything ). Is it really one of them or could it be someone else mysteriously hidden from view?. It's a real race against time as they’re getting picked off rather rapidly. Agatha loves to incorporate nursery rhymes into her plots and each of these (potential suspects/victims) have the 'Ten Little Soldiers' rhyme pinned above the fireplace in their bedrooms .. leaving them in no doubt as to the fate of the next in line (though the rhyme is suitably ambiguous .. it sent me up the garden path more than once ) Of course they are rather conveniently stranded on an island making escape impossible, even the weather has turned against them. Obviously tension is high but there's an added brooding suspense concerning the crimes that these ten were accused of by their unseen host. Originally they all brush off the allegations but it's not long before their consciences start to prick uncomfortably.

Despite the rhyme, I didn’t have a clue, of course I didn’t .. I never do unless it’s obvious. It's all gloriously well crafted, how she got all the strands to come together I'll never know. I devoured it in an evening .. it was unputdownable. After investing all that concentration and bitten nails the one thing I was dreading was 'a disappointing ending' ... thankfully my fears were groundless.

I believe the book has undergone several title (and therefore rhyme) changes as it’s original titles were deemed offensive .. that seems a shame in a way though I can understand the reasons for it.

Hands down, it’s the best murder mystery I’ve read. 5/5

I agree Agatha should have been represented somewhere - she's an English Classic!

I preferred The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - gloriously devious! - but the way she crafts the strands together is marvellous, as you say. I raced through it too.

• 1 year later...

036-2015-Aug-04-And%20Then%20There%20Wer

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

The ‘blurb’
Agatha Christie’s world-famous mystery thriller, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers.

Ten strangers, apparently with little in common, are lured to an island mansion off the coast of Devon by the mysterious U.N.Owen. Over dinner, a record begins to play, and the voice of an unseen host accuses each person of hiding a guilty secret. That evening, former reckless driver Tony Marston is found murdered by a deadly dose of cyanide.

The tension escalates as the survivors realise the killer is not only among them but is preparing to strike again… and again…

I listened to this on an (unabridged) audio CD whilst on various walks. The narrator can really make or break an audio book - the version I listened to was narrated by Norman Barrs and I’m pleased to say that he was simply perfect.  :wub:

Eight strangers are invited to stay at a property on Indian Island off the coast of Devon. There have been a lot of rumours in the paper about who owns the island and each have a different reason for accepting their invitation. On the island they are greeted by a butler and cook – Mr and Mrs Rogers. The Rogers haven’t met their employer yet and the group are curious as to why they have all been invited. The guests settle into their rooms and then head down to dinner. Still their mysterious hosts are not present but after a good dinner they start to relax and get to know one another. They are amused to discover that each has a framed version of the nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians hanging in their bedrooms. Suddenly they are interrupted by a loud voice urging them to be silent… and then charging each of a terrible crime. In the ensuing confusion one of them dies, and so begins a terrifying ordeal for them as they realise the killer is likely to strike again…

I cannot express just how much I enjoyed this! I’m pretty certain I’d have felt the same if I’d read it myself, but listening to it whilst out walking was just wonderful. I do walk a lot anyway and I very much enjoy my walks, but this made me want to get out into the countryside even more. I went to see a stage version of it with Peter in the threatre in Perth back in 1992 and I remember how much we enjoyed it, but I didn’t remember the detail of the story – or the outcome – so it was like hearing the story for the first time. I’m certain I shall listen to this again – top stuff and highly recommended!  :D

Nursery rhyme under the spoiler.  :)

Ten little Indian Boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Indian Boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Indian Boys travelling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Indian Boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Indian Boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Indian Boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Indian Boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Indian Boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two little Indian Boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Indian Boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.

The paperback edition is 224 pages long and is published by Harper. It was first published in 1939. The ISBN is 978 0007136834. I listened to it on audio book.

5/5 (I loved it)

(Finished 4 August 2015)