Northern Exposure

Raven

I first came to the town of Cicely, Alaska, a few years ago now at the insistence of friends who knew better than I, but like the plum that I am I ignored them.

Until I watched the first few episodes.

And then I was hooked to the point where I put off watching the last series for nearly a year because I didn't want it to end.

I'm now watching the series through again and I have to say it is an absolute gem.

In these days where zombies are like to eat your brain; where some tart may get her teats out or where someone is making drugs in their back room, it's very refreshing to watch a series that is just about likeable, flawed characters and the things that happen in their everyday lives (albeit rather odd everyday lives . . .).

It's like some decided to make an American TV series out of the film Local Hero.

Sure, it has dated, but that is part of its charm and the stories being told are just as good today as they were back then.

If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Joel, Maggie, Maurice, Chris in the Morning, Ed Chigliak, Holling and Shelly, Ruth-Anne and Marilyn then you are in for a real treat; it's time you stopped by The Brick for a beer.

I agree Raven, it's an wonderful series and very funny. I'd happily watch the whole thing again, if I could find it.

Another series I really enjoyed that is similar in it's off-beat characters and humour is Seachange, an Australian programme. It stars well-known actors Sigrid Thornton and David Wenham. Well worth a look if you like this type of humour.

Northern Exposure is one of my favorite TV programs of all time. I have a number of their shows taped (VCR) but no longer have a VCR player. Unfortunately they don't have DVD's for sale of the original programs as far as I know. The ones that are for sale have duped music in them instead of the original music.

Without question I would buy all the seasons of NE if they were for sale someplace. It would be a joy to watch it again.

^ Can you not find it on Amazon?

I just looked up Seachange, it looks like it's region 4 only which I've not come across before (I'm guessing it is Tahiti and Skegness only).

Amazon stocks wrong regions for me.

Region 4 = Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean ( Tahiti/Skegness, same difference I guess :tongue: )

What region does the UK use?

^ Region 2

Muggle, it appears to be on Amazon.com.  I've not noticed anything odd about the music, but I didn't see it the first time around. 

If the music is dubbed, it is still makes for a great series. (to my mind, anyway!).

Check out the reviews on Amazon. Are you actually watching the series sold by Amazon or original re-runs?

Edited by muggle not

I love, love, loved Northern Exposure, and the complete boxed set has been on my wish list for far too long. Quirky, contemplative, funny and eminently watchable. It's been far too long since I saw an episode, I will have to take measures to change that! :smile:

In these days where zombies are like to eat your brain; where some tart may get her teats out or where someone is making drugs in their back room, it's very refreshing to watch a series that is just about likeable, flawed characters and the things that happen in their everyday lives (albeit rather odd everyday lives . . .).

Yes, yes, yes!  I loved Northern Exposure :jump: . I have the first DVD, and it is so good to watch these days, as there are so depressing series on TV now.

^ Region 2

Muggle, it appears to be on Amazon.com.  I've not noticed anything odd about the music, but I didn't see it the first time around. 

If the music is dubbed, it is still makes for a great series. (to my mind, anyway!).

Raven - Season 1 DVD's have the original music. Season 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 have substituted music.

I may go ahead and buy Season 1 and 2 and see how I like Season 2 with the substitute music. I can always buy the other Seasons a little later on..

Anyhow, it is a great television series.

("Ed" from Northern Exposure put together a book and DVD about the series. the attached page by Ed is interesting reading.)

http://returntocicely.com/

Edited by muggle not

Check out the reviews on Amazon. Are you actually watching the series sold by Amazon or original re-runs?

I'm watching the UK release of the DVDs, the music in the two clips you linked to is the same on the DVDs I have.  I don't know if other music has been changed, but I've only seen them on DVD so I wouldn't know anything different!

Thanks for the link to Darren's website, I'd be interested to get a copy of the book, but I'm not so sure I want the DVD.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom and I went on a trip across the US (52 days, 36 states) and I actually had the exciting pleasure of visiting Roslyn, Washington, where Northern Exposure was filmed.  It was exactly the set- Ruth Ann's Store (now sells souvenirs- believe me, I totally bought the store :giggle2: ), the Radio Station and the Brick- which we couldn't go in and have a beer because we had my 6 mo old.  I mean, come on people lol.  It as really neat.  OH!  And the mural on Rosie's Café is right at the end of the street!

Northern Exposure is my fav TV Show (Well, a tie with M*A*S*H).

My mom and I went on a trip across the US (52 days, 36 states) and I actually had the exciting pleasure of visiting Roslyn, Washington, where Northern Exposure was filmed.  It was exactly the set- Ruth Ann's Store (now sells souvenirs- believe me, I totally bought the store :giggle2: ), the Radio Station and the Brick- which we couldn't go in and have a beer because we had my 6 mo old.  I mean, come on people lol.  It as really neat.  OH!  And the mural on Rosie's Café is right at the end of the street!

Well, you are now the envy of many of us Northern Exposure fans. It is such a shame that the show didn't last longer than it did. I could have watched it forever. When Joel left the show the audience slowly decreased.

Yes, Mash was another great show.

:o You have been to the town take made Cicely!! :cows: ( but green with envy too)

It's about time that we saw M*A*S*H again, or way too long since we (in the UK) saw it. I adore Hawkeye :wub:

• 9 months later...

I finally finished my re-watch of all six series last night, after a long break over the summer (well, 'tis not right to rush something this good or to watch it when it's warm and sunny outside . . .).

The last episode is far from the best, I don't like the way they pair up Chris and Maggie at the death, but the final goodbyes to all of the characters is done well.

I can't help wondering what they are all doing now . . . 

(The characters, not the actors!).

I LOVED that show! I still have fond memories of episodes like the one where Chris wants to fling a cow, or where Holling hasn't had a poo at 7am sharp like he has done every day since he was tiny, and he thinks something must be horribly wrong - LOL! The whole will-they/won't-they of Joel and Maggie was way better than the Ross and Rachel one in Friends (and predated it by quite some time too!), and Ed's sweet innocence was so refreshing. I really must go back and watch it all again - I haven't done so in well over a decade and it's long overdue!

I taped quite a few of the episodes but it was on VCR and I no longer have a VCR player. :)

I wonder how much it would cost to have them made so I could watch them on a DVD player.

It really was one, if not the best, TV shows that I have watched. Oh, how I miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

You can buy the complete DVD box set for around £48 from Amazon.

I used to have them on video too - not all of them though, I think I somehow missed the last season (possibly two!) and have never seen those later episodes. Tell you what though, they repeat Sex and the City over and over again on the telly - I wish they would repeat NE!