Augusten Burroughs

frankie

Some of you might already know that I'm a big fan of Augusten Burroughs. I've read most of his books, have never been disappointed, and will definitely want to read the rest (and I want to have a copy of all of his books :blush:).

There's only a thread on Running With Scissors, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss his other books, too. So far he has written:

Sellevision (2000)

Running with Scissors (2002)

Dry (2003)

Magical Thinking (2004)

Possible Side Effects (2006)

A Wolf at the Table (2008)

You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas (2009)

Take Five: Four Favorite Essays Plus One Never-Been-Seen-Essay  (2011)

This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike (2012) 

Burroughs's books are not for everyone, because a lot of them deal with disturbing issues, as you can imagine from the 2012 book title. However, Burroughs has this amazing ability to see the funny side of things, and to write about them so wittily that sometimes I would forget that it's all real and happening, and it's not really a funny thing at all.

Sellevision is his only work of fiction so far, but I enjoyed reading that one very much, too  :) The rest of the books are memoirs and essays etc.

18.11.2013: And if you've been wanting to buy Running with Scissors and/or A Wolf at the Table, I would say now is your time. They are on sale on Book Depository! :D

Augusten-Burroughs-augusten-burroughs-24

Edited by frankie

I thought I'd mention that Augusten Burroughs's mother is a poet and author, as well. If you read Burroughs's books you will see they had a very problematic relationship.

Perhaps more interestingly, Burroughs's brother, John Elder Robison, has also published a memoir called Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's, and like the title says, it's about him growing up with Asperger's, and I would assume that this was back when Asperger's wasn't as well researched and well known as it is today, in comparison. This book has been on my wishlist ever since I heard about it :)

Edited by frankie

It depends what kind of disturbing but usually I'm not a fan of that.. do you mean in a violent way, in the way things are described, or the subjects?

Well he talks about sexual abuse, dysfunctional families, etc. And there might be some turd anecdotes.

It's not doable when I have low energy, if I have lots of energy then I might have the mental resistance not to get too gringy over it. Thanks :).

Okay, best leave it til you are full of beans, then :D Let me know how you got on with him if/when you read his books! :)

Running with Scissors is one of my favourite books of all time, I can't wait to read his other books.. but not every one you listed here, Frankie, has been published in Italy. I'm wondering why, he seems to have a great success in the libraries (I'm still waiting for Dry.. and it's been almost a year since I requested it) :huh: .

Running with Scissors is one of my favourite books of all time, I can't wait to read his other books.. but not every one you listed here, Frankie, has been published in Italy. I'm wondering why, he seems to have a great success in the libraries (I'm still waiting for Dry.. and it's been almost a year since I requested it) :huh: .

That it very odd indeed, and most unlucky :(:empathy:  And I can't believe it's taken so bloody long with Dry, and you still haven't gotten it to read! :(  When I saw the cheap deals on RWS and AWatT on BD, I immediately went and checked if Dry was also on sale, so I could tell you about it, but unfortunately it wasn't :(

Thanks Frankie.. very kind of you. It's really odd indeed because he seems to have a great success here, I must admit thanks to the movie version of RwS too. I believe the one who had the copy of Dry somehow lost it and didn't admit the fault. It's been so long since I requested it. I think I'll look for some Christmas book sales.

Thanks Frankie.. very kind of you. It's really odd indeed because he seems to have a great success here, I must admit thanks to the movie version of RwS too. I believe the one who had the copy of Dry somehow lost it and didn't admit the fault. It's been so long since I requested it. I think I'll look for some Christmas book sales.

And they only have that one copy? :(  Over here, if somebody lost a copy, they would mark the book as 'lost' in the online book catalogue on the library's website... Do you think they would do the same over there?

I hope you will have luck with Christmas book sales! :empathy:  And I'll keep an eye out for cheap copies of the book, as well :)

Yes, we only have one copy in the Manotva libraries circle (which has 40 libraries, more or less). We're not living a great moment for culture, in Italy. Only 2% of public founds are given to culture, that includes books, history, music, theaters... It's a big deal to have one copy of a book in this situation :( Such a shame. We invest money on rubbish (sometimes literally) but not an euro on culture. Ok, stop complaining.

Usually a library has to wait a specific time - I guess it's 18 months - before declaring a book "lost". In that case the person who lost it has to pay for it or buy another copy. But I guess 18 months have not passed yet.

Anyway, I added Dry to my wishlist for Santa.. just in case :)

Yes, we only have one copy in the Manotva libraries circle (which has 40 libraries, more or less). We're not living a great moment for culture, in Italy. Only 2% of public founds are given to culture, that includes books, history, music, theaters... It's a big deal to have one copy of a book in this situation :( Such a shame. We invest money on rubbish (sometimes literally) but not an euro on culture. Ok, stop complaining.

Usually a library has to wait a specific time - I guess it's 18 months - before declaring a book "lost". In that case the person who lost it has to pay for it or buy another copy. But I guess 18 months have not passed yet.

Anyway, I added Dry to my wishlist for Santa.. just in case :)

It seems quite different over there. I'm sorry to hear it's so bad :(:empathy:   No wonder you often seem to have problems finding copies of certain books... I'm very happy that you can find copies of the dorm books so far nominated in the January RC thread :giggle: I didn't say that out loud, did I? Shhhh! ;)

You're so cute and lovely, Frankie!! :)

Well one's gotta look out for one's forum buddies, right? :):friends3:

I've only read Running with Scissors & although i thought it was a great read i have to agree with Frankie some parts of it were a bit toe curling. I'd definitely read more of his stuff though  :smile:

A Wolf at the Table is loads darker, too... But his essay collections such as Magical Thinking and Possible Side Effects etc. are loads easier on the unaccustomed reader :)

• 7 months later...

I have *liked* Augusten Burroughs on Facebook, which means I get to see his new updates whenever they crop up. He posted this 20 hours ago: 

"For those of you who keep asking me, "What should I read?" here's my answer:"

... and there was a link to an article about the book called Landline by Rainbow Rowell

It's going on my wishlist :) 

One of my favorite bookish things is to learn which books my favorite authors read themselves! 

I really enjoyed Running with Scissors when I read it earlier this year, and I'd really like to read the books his Mum and brother have written.

Landline sounds like a good book. :)

I really enjoyed Running with Scissors when I read it earlier this year, and I'd really like to read the books his Mum and brother have written.

You should read his other books, too! :) And yep, I also have his brother's book on my wishlist as well as the one by his mother. Should be interesting reading! 

I haven't had time to look into the book he recommended all that thoroughly but the little I read about it, it sounded good :) Some of the other books by the author also sound familiar... 

Oh, I have several of his books and intend on reading them all. :) I might go for Magical Thinking next, as I read a few pages of that once and enjoyed it.

I've heard of Rowell's Eleanor & Park, which is supposed to be quite good.

Oh, I have several of his books and intend on reading them all. :) I might go for Magical Thinking next, as I read a few pages of that once and enjoyed it.

I know, I think I left a few behind :D Glad you liked MT, I think it's suitable reading for you, too, as it's short texts and you can dip in and out :)

I've heard of Rowell's Eleanor & Park, which is supposed to be quite good.

Ah yes, that's the one I've heard about, too. I think I saw someone on here mark is as read book on Goodreads. Can't remember who it was, though.

I've heard great things about Rainbow Rowell's books (and ordered three of them, Landline has only just been released so it's not out in paperback yet I think). I have Fangirl, Eleanor & Park and Attachments on my TBR (I've just received them in the post).

I've heard great things about Rainbow Rowell's books (and ordered three of them, Landline has only just been released so it's not out in paperback yet I think). I have Fangirl, Eleanor & Park and Attachments on my TBR (I've just received them in the post).

I think you and I talked about the E&P book on here, although it may have been someone else whom I saw marking the book as read on Goodreads. I hope you like the books :)