E. F. Benson... Any Luciaphiles out there?

Danna

Has anyone here read E. F. Benson's Lucia novels? They are absolutely delightful... extremely well-written, great characters, great plots (although, to be honest, not much seems to happen while everything is happening... Difficult to explain what I mean by that.... but if you have read these wonderful novels, then you know exactly what I mean...)

The Make Way for Lucia series:

1. Queen Lucia

2. Lucia in London

3. Miss Mapp

4. Mapp and Lucia

5. The Worshipful Lucia

6. Trouble for Lucia

Tom Holt later wrote two more novels that follow the sixth Lucia book by E. F. Benson

1. Lucia in Wartime

2. Lucia Triumphant

Janet,

The novel "Mapp and Lucia" was made into a television series several years ago... which might be how you heard of it. I was lucky enough to have seen it when it aired on television, and I loved it so much that I then bought the series of books. The television series was made in the UK, and stars Geraldine McEwan, Prunella Scales, and Nigel Hawthorne. It is a wonderfully cast series, and it does justice to the novel. The only bad thing about the television series is that they didn't make all of the novels into shows. I cannot recommend E. F. Benson enough!

Janet,

If you get a chance to rent the Mapp and Lucia DVDs... I really recommend the first series (over the second)... But, caution: The Lucia world is so much fun that you might find that you will absolutely have to read the books!

• 1 year later...

I came across the Penguin Modern Classics version of Mapp and Lucia last year, and was completely drawn in by the cover, and thought I'd give it a go. It was fantastic! It was funny and warm, and I was totally engrossed. There's something about books set in the 1920's and 1930's that I love, particularly humourous ones, and this was an absolute gem, so I've been looking for the others to continue my journey through the world of Mapp and Lucia.

I've just found out they've issued all six books in two collections, Lucia Rising has Queen Lucia, Miss Mapp and Lucia in London, and Lucia Victrix incudes Mapp and Lucia, Lucia's Progress and Trouble for Lucia.

I've bought Lucia Rising, and it's the top of my TBR list waiting to be read, so I've just got to get on with my current book so I can delve into my newest treasure!

I read these years ago, borrowed them from a friend who recommended them. Am I right in thinking they were set around Rye which is where his parents were living at the time, they were great to read. Until I read these books EF Benson was better known to me as a ghost story writer.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...