50 Incredibly Tough Books for Extreme Readers

bobblybear

Found this list on a website that I visit semi-frequently and thought it was a pretty interesting mix.

Has anyone read any of these? I've heard of most and know a lot of them to be considered difficult, but of the few I have read, the only "difficult" one was House of Leaves.

I've read The Demon by Hubert Selby Jnr, and that was disturbing, as was Pet Semetary, but I wouldn't necessary consider them tough going.

What are your thoughts? :smile:

Ooooh, thanks for posting! I read the intro, and love the idea (I think some people are going to take this as a reading challenge... :D), I haven't yet looked at all the titles, I was so keen on posting to say thanks :D

Edit: What did you think of the House of Leaves? I see you consider it a worthy title in the list, but did you enjoy it?

Edited by frankie

I thought about posting it in the Challenges section, and was thinking of taking it as a challenge for myself, but I have so many other books to get through that the thought of having a list of books that I "have to read" makes me panic. :giggle:

I didn't actually end up finishing House of Leaves, so perhaps I shouldn't have said that I have read it. :doh: I did find it a very tough read, and as I read more of the book, the footnotes seemed to grow longer until eventually I got fed up with flipping between pages to read all the footnotes as well as story itself. :thud: I still have the book somewhere in the loft because I just love the way it looks - it's very artistic in it's presentation. Unfortunately I think it may be a case of style over substance....nice to look at, but not so nice to read. :giggle2:

Well, over the last 30 years I have owned 10 of 50 books, but only started 6 of them :blush2: .  All of them were difficult, disturbing, or so dull, I never got past the first 20 or so pages. This is too much of a challenge for me - life is too short to cause that much 'book anguish' :smile: . Good luck to  who takes this as a challenge  :smile:

I took the liberty of copy+pasting the whole list on this post for easy reference (I know I'll be using this list later on for my own purposes :giggle:)

I would still recommend you visit the website in bobbly's link; there you can see covers of some copies of the books and you will get a short introduction to the books and why they are on the list! :smile2:

The links are to Amazon, as they were on the website in the link provided by bobblybear.

Nightwood, Djuna Barnes

Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

Moby-Dick, Herman Melville

Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace

J R, William Gaddis

Finnegans Wake, James Joyce

The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner

Bad Behavior, Mary Gaitskill

In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust

Alphabetical Africa, Walter Abish

Geek Love, Katherine Dunn

Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs

The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser

Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh

Pet Sematary, Stephen King

Coin Locker Babies, Ryu Murakami

Battle Royale, Koushun Takami

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski

To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf

The Painted Bird, Jerzy Kosinski

Wittgenstein’s Mistress, David Markson

Johnny Got His Gun, Dalton Trumbo

Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany

The Making of Americans, Gertrude Stein

The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien

Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar

Out, Natsuo Kirino

2666, Roberto Bolaño

Tampa, Alissa Nutting

War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Laurence Sterne

Gravity’s Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer

Underworld, Don DeLillo

Almanac of the Dead, Leslie Marmon Silko

Cosmos, Witold Gombrowicz

The Conservationist, Nadine Gordimer

Sophie’s Choice, William Styron

Clarissa, Or the History of a Young Lady, Samuel Richardson

The Unfortunates, B.S. Johnson

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis, Lydia Davis

The Tunnel, William Gass

The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion

The Demon, Hubert Selby Jr.

The Royal Family, William T. Vollmann

Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri

A Tale of a Tub, Jonathan Swift

The Castle, Franz Kafka

The Gulag Archipelago, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Edited by frankie

I thought about posting it in the Challenges section, and was thinking of taking it as a challenge for myself, but I have so many other books to get through that the thought of having a list of books that I "have to read" makes me panic. :giggle:

I know what you mean.. I think I have too many challenges going on as it is, so it wouldn't be very wise of me to get on with this one... :giggle:

I didn't actually end up finishing House of Leaves, so perhaps I shouldn't have said that I have read it. :doh: I did find it a very tough read, and as I read more of the book, the footnotes seemed to grow longer until eventually I got fed up with flipping between pages to read all the footnotes as well as story itself. :thud: I still have the book somewhere in the loft because I just love the way it looks - it's very artistic in it's presentation. Unfortunately I think it may be a case of style over substance....nice to look at, but not so nice to read. :giggle2:

I have a copy of the book, it's pretty out there :D Nothing I've ever seen before. Like you implied, it's going to take a certain mood and stamina to read through, I'm sure. It's not something you can just decide to read over the day...

As I haven't tried reading it yet, I'm staying optimistic :D

Well, over the last 30 years I have owned 10 of 50 books, but only started 6 of them :blush2: .  All of them were difficult, disturbing, or so dull, I never got past the first 20 or so pages. This is too much of a challenge for me - life is too short to cause that much 'book anguish' :smile: . Good luck to  who takes this as a challenge  :smile:

Yeah, I can definitely understand that :) I suppose you are not the kind of person who likes disturbing books?

As for the books themselves:

These are ones I have read, and the first two I've enjoyed (although the second book is really really scary!). Why the Didion book is on the list, I personally don't get. I didn't wet my book (with tears or anything else) as the comments on it suggested, but I did find it a bit difficult but only because I personally found it boring :blush: Just my personal, humble opinion!

To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf

The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion

These are on my TBR and I'm really looking forward to reading them all. I was always keen on them all, even before the list.

Moby-Dick, Herman Melville

In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski

And these have been on my wishlist for a long time. Although I was pretty grossed out by the Coin Locker Babies synopsis on the link ^ Ewwww.

I'm also kind of amazed that Poppy Z. Brite hasn't made it to the list...

Good luck frankie, if/when you embark on this challenge :smile: . I think you have a glint in your eye, and this a challenge not to be missed. :giggle2:

Thanks Marie! A glint in my eye? Maybe that's the mint liquor I cracked open some time ago... :giggle2:

When I read the 'synopsis' on Alphabetical Africa, I immediately thought of you! :) And Kylie, of course. Our Oulipo enthusiasts :) Are you interested in that book, at least? :shrug:

Edited by frankie

These ones are on my TBR:

Herman Melville - Moby Dick

James Joyce - Finnigan's Wake (I have an omnibus, I presume this one is in it but I haven't checked)

Koushun Takami - Battle Royale (my boyfriend liked this book, though he hasn't completely finished it yet)

J. R. R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion

Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (personally I hope to at least be reading this one at some point)

William Styron - Sophie's Choice

A few others are or might be on my wishlist. I don't think I've read any of them.

Yeah, I can definitely understand that :) I suppose you are not the kind of person who likes disturbing books?

Do I avoid disturbing books? I suppose sometimes I do avoid them. I have never read an Irvine Welsh book, or seen any of the films, and I don’t intend to do in the future. Am I avoiding these subjects? Some would say that I do ignore them, but as life can be a hellish nightmare, why read books about them? I hope that I have made these choices not to read some books, simply

as it is my choice. I read some non-fiction on subjects that are disturbing, but that for me is a different choice again. I know that this can be an incredibly thorny subject, what people choose to read. But I feel strongly about this, and I need to explain why I might avoid from some books. 

Books on the list that have and hope to read sometimes are

Swannn’s Way Book 1 and Within a Budding Grove Book 2 (30% read of Swann’s Way so far)

To The Lighthouse, Virginia Wool

I know what you mean.. I think I have too many challenges going on as it is, so it wouldn't be very wise of me to get on with this one... :giggle:

Thanks Marie! A glint in my eye? Maybe that's the mint liquor I cracked open some time ago... :giggle2:

When I read the 'synopsis' on Alphabetical Africa, I immediately thought of you! :) And Kylie, of course. Our Oulipo enthusiasts :) Are you interested in that book, at least? :shrug:

I hope that the mint liquor had the desired effect, :giggle2: , with helping you with the flu symptoms  :D .

Alphabetical Africa sounds interesting :smile: , I have a soft spot for Oulipo, I must make a post for Kylie about it soon.

The only three I've read from the list are Heart of Darkness, Pet Sematary and The Canterbury Tales, and I personally wouldn't have put any of them on there (although I suppose Chaucer was a bit of a chore until I got used to Middle English).

I'm surprised Ulysses isn't on there . . .

Do I avoid disturbing books? I suppose sometimes I do avoid them. I have never read an Irvine Welsh book, or seen any of the films, and I don’t intend to do in the future. Am I avoiding these subjects? Some would say that I do ignore them, but as life can be a hellish nightmare, why read books about them? I hope that I have made these choices not to read some books, simply

as it is my choice. I read some non-fiction on subjects that are disturbing, but that for me is a different choice again. I know that this can be an incredibly thorny subject, what people choose to read. But I feel strongly about this, and I need to explain why I might avoid from some books. 

I hope I didn't offend you with my question, I was only being curious. I think everyone should read the books they choose to read, and if they don't feel like reading something, it's totally up to them :):friends3:  I do understand your reasoning :)

I hope that the mint liquor had the desired effect, :giggle2: , with helping you with the flu symptoms  :D .

I do feel a bit better, I don't know if it's the nasal spray or the mint... :giggle: We'll have to wait a bit longer and see :giggle:

Alphabetical Africa sounds interesting :smile: , I have a soft spot for Oulipo, I must make a post for Kylie about it soon.

I bet she would enjoy talking to another Oulipo enthusiast! :)

I'm surprised Ulysses isn't on there . . .

Quote from the website on the link:

"This list is limited to works of fiction, so straightforward philosophy is out, and a single book per author, so you’ll see Finnegans Wake (obviously) but not Ulysses. Don’t worry, the Ulysses is implied."

Edited by frankie

I hope I didn't offend you with my question, I was only being curious. I think everyone should read the books they choose to read, and if they don't feel like reading something, it's totally up to them :):friends3:  I do understand your reasoning :)

No frankie,you didn't offend me :friends3:  ,but I just wanted to make the subject clearer, as you were curious.  :smile: .

Quote from the website on the link:

"This list is limited to works of fiction, so straightforward philosophy is out, and a single book per author, so you’ll see Finnegans Wake (obviously) but not Ulysses. Don’t worry, the Ulysses is implied."

Ahh, I did read the list using the link but didn't see that quote. I'll let them off, then. ;)

It wouldn't have bothered me, only I have a personal hatred for Ulysses. I was made to read it at university, and I think it took me around a week just to read half of it (worst week of my life), before they decided to take it off the syllabus and have us read something else instead. :banghead:  :motz:  :Tantrum:

I have been wanting to/considering reading Moby Dick for awhile now. I doubt I would make it through most of these books and I honestly have no desire to. But this has given me an extra little push to try to read Moby Dick. 

I've read Pet Semetary & Sophie's Choice, i wouldn't say that either of them are difficult reads although Sophie's Choice is quite harrowing so i guess that's why it's classed as challenging. Moby Dick is on my TBR pile so i was a bit put off to see it on the list  :doh: House Of Leaves i used to own but like you Bobbly i couldn't finish it. Good luck to anyone attempting the challenge though  :D

I've read:
Trainspotting - Found it a very easy read

Pet Sematary - Notone of King's best, I'm afraid

The Heart of Darkness - Incredibly dull

Out - Rather good, but not particularly tough to read

On my TBR list:
Moby Dick - I always fancied this one...

Just reading the list made me break out into a cold sweat! Of these I have only finished two, Trainspotting & Pet Semetary. I wouldn't have described either as "difficult", but there you are. I have attempted to read War & Peace, and at 200 pages in , I consider that to be a valient try. I don't think I got past page 1 of Moby Dick, but I was a lot younger then. There are some interesting books on this list that I have never heard of, so I may try some of them out, but as a full-blown reading challenge  - I don't thnik I have the stamina!

Nightwood, Djuna Barnes  *

Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy  **

Moby-Dick, Herman Melville  *

Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace  **

J R, William Gaddis

Finnegans Wake, James Joyce

The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner **

Bad Behavior, Mary Gaitskill

In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust  **

Alphabetical Africa, Walter Abish

Geek Love, Katherine Dunn

Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs

The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski  *

To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf  ****

The Painted Bird, Jerzy Kosinski

Wittgenstein’s Mistress, David Markson

Johnny Got His Gun, Dalton Trumbo

Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany

The Making of Americans, Gertrude Stein

The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien

Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad  ****

Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar

Out, Natsuo Kirino  *

2666, Roberto Bolaño  **

Tampa, Alissa Nutting

War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy  *

Gravity’s Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon  *

The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer

Underworld, Don DeLillo

Almanac of the Dead, Leslie Marmon Silko

Cosmos, Witold Gombrowicz

The Conservationist, Nadine Gordimer

Clarissa, Or the History of a Young Lady, Samuel Richardson

The Unfortunates, B.S. Johnson

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis, Lydia Davis  *

The Tunnel, William Gass  *

The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion  ****

The Demon, Hubert Selby Jr.

The Royal Family, William T. Vollmann

Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri

The Castle, Franz Kafka

The Gulag Archipelago, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

**** are ones that I've read all the way through

** are ones I've read partly and abandoned for a variety of reasons

* they're on the shelf

frankie, I don't see that the Didion was difficult, not a bit.  And, I didn't cry either.  I thought she was rather dry about the whole thing.  Actually, I have to say I didn't care for it, or her by the time I finished.

No frankie,you didn't offend me :friends3:  ,but I just wanted to make the subject clearer, as you were curious.  :smile: .

Phew! :) And thanks for clearing it up for me :):friends3:

frankie, I don't see that the Didion was difficult, not a bit.  And, I didn't cry either.  I thought she was rather dry about the whole thing.  Actually, I have to say I didn't care for it, or her by the time I finished.

I fully agree. I don't think I would've finished had it not been a RG challenge read. I'm very happy to hear I'm not the only one who didn't get it that much... Phew :blush: