WWI Historical Fiction

James Short

how can mentioning a book you have just read be promotional? Unless you wrote it yourself? :giggle2:

I have read anumber of books set in WW1 but just off the top of my head can't think of any with the exception of the brilliant trilogy written by Pat Barker [fiction] Im hope less with titles but it may be Regeneration[maybe not] just google this author and you will find out. Oh there is also Sebastion Foulks as well, he has written a couple of good books set in this time period which you may enjoy [i know that Birdsong is one.]

An awful lot of people sign up and in their first posts mention an obscure or very recently published book, only to disappear into the internet fog. It then turns out that they are associated with / are the author or something to do with a publishing house. Occasionally someone without deceptive intent can get caught in the net. :smile:

In answer to the query;

I can thoroughly recommend the two mentioned by gardengirl above,

The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Other well known ones would include;

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Remarque

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford

Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves (a memoir)

Thanks. I recently watched the Birdsong and Parade's End television adaptations, and they were okay, and of course I've read A Farewell to Arms. I'll look at the others, but mainly I'm looking for more action-oriented fiction. I've really enjoyed John Buchan's 1916 spy novel Greenmantle.

I'm reading a good one at the moment courtesy of Amazon Vine and is due for release in mid Jan 2014, called "The Moon Field" by Judith Allnatt.  Another good read was "My Dear I wanted to tell you" by Louisa Young.  There is an excellent one by Susan Hill but the title totally eludes me at the moment.  Anne Perry has also  written a series of WW1 books, the most memorable for me being Shoulder the Sky.

Strange Meeting is the Susan Hill book.

Edited by SueK

I'm reading a good one at the moment courtesy of Amazon Vine and is due for release in mid Jan 2014, called "The Moon Field" by Judith Allnatt.  Another good read was "My Dear I wanted to tell you" by Louisa Young.  There is an excellent one by Susan Hill but the title totally eludes me at the moment.  Anne Perry has also  written a series of WW1 books, the most memorable for me being Shoulder the Sky.

Strange Meeting is the Susan Hill book.

:I-Agree:

Hi James, nobody has mentioned  A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot.

Good shout Vodkafan.  I bought this book fairly recently as the DVD is one of my all-time favourites. 

Another good book (although non-fiction but reads as fiction) is Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain.

how can mentioning a book you have just read be promotional? Unless you wrote it yourself? :giggle2:

I have read anumber of books set in WW1 but just off the top of my head can't think of any with the exception of the brilliant trilogy written by Pat Barker [fiction] Im hope less with titles but it may be Regeneration[maybe not] just google this author and you will find out. Oh there is also Sebastion Foulks as well, he has written a couple of good books set in this time period which you may enjoy [i know that Birdsong is one.]

Birdsong! I read that in another book club I was in. The book is well written and very realistic. Glad I read it. But it was a bit too mature for me. And the storyline I didn't find all that interesting. I didn't like the adaptation either.

Edited by cuppycakes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Although the original poster hasn't been back on the forum for a few years, I thought I'd add to this thread in case anyone else was interested.  I've just finished The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson which is set in Rye, East Sussex, just before the outbreak of the first World War and follows through into the early period of the war too, and I thought it was a fantastic read, and would recommend it.  It gives a feeling of how the war affected a local community as well as telling the main characters personal stories.

• 2 weeks later...

An awful lot of people sign up and in their first posts mention an obscure or very recently published book, only to disappear into the internet fog. It then turns out that they are associated with / are the author or something to do with a publishing house. Occasionally someone without deceptive intent can get caught in the net. :smile:

In answer to the query;

I can thoroughly recommend the two mentioned by gardengirl above,

The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Other well known ones would include;

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Remarque

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford

Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves (a memoir)

All Quiet on The Western Front..

A great Movie, maybe I will pick up the book.

Did you see the movie as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Although the original poster hasn't been back on the forum for a few years, I thought I'd add to this thread in case anyone else was interested.  I've just finished The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson which is set in Rye, East Sussex, just before the outbreak of the first World War and follows through into the early period of the war too, and I thought it was a fantastic read, and would recommend it.  It gives a feeling of how the war affected a local community as well as telling the main characters personal stories.

I started reading this Claire, got up to about Chapter 5 then put it aside. Something about it was annoying me, can't quite put my finger on it, but I nearly always like the books you like, so I'll give it another try sometime later. I'm very captivated by books written about the two world wars, particularly ones set in Gt Britain.

• 1 month later...

Oh, what a shame.  It was definitely a grower, and it was probably at least a third of the way in before I was gripped, but I often find that the case.  But hey, maybe on another day, you'll get along with it better. :)

Just picked this up again, Claire, almost a quarter through now, and it's really growing on me. It may have been I was in the wrong mood before :blush2: Finding Hugh and Daniel particularly witty :D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 24/06/2017 at 10:23 AM, serious girl said:

i am not interested in historical books

Then there#s no reason for you to be on a thread about WWI historical fiction - LOL!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...