WWI Historical Fiction

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 James Short

James Short

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

I am still interested in knowing if anyone had recommendations for any historical fictions set during WWI, even though I am not allowed to mention the book I recently read myself because someone thinks its too promotional for me to mention its title.

#2 gardengirl

gardengirl

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Reading now?:The Rapture by Liz Jensen
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

how can mentioning a book you have just read be promotional? Unless you wrote it yourself? :giggle2:

I have read anumber of books set in WW1 but just off the top of my head can't think of any with the exception of the brilliant trilogy written by Pat Barker [fiction] Im hope less with titles but it may be Regeneration[maybe not] just google this author and you will find out. Oh there is also Sebastion Foulks as well, he has written a couple of good books set in this time period which you may enjoy [I know that Birdsong is one.]

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

An awful lot of people sign up and in their first posts mention an obscure or very recently published book, only to disappear into the internet fog. It then turns out that they are associated with / are the author or something to do with a publishing house. Occasionally someone without deceptive intent can get caught in the net. :smile:

In answer to the query;

I can thoroughly recommend the two mentioned by gardengirl above,

The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Other well known ones would include;

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Remarque

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford

Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves (a memoir)

#4 James Short

James Short

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Thanks. I recently watched the Birdsong and Parade's End television adaptations, and they were okay, and of course I've read A Farewell to Arms. I'll look at the others, but mainly I'm looking for more action-oriented fiction. I've really enjoyed John Buchan's 1916 spy novel Greenmantle.

#5 julie

julie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,073 posts
  • Reading now?:yes
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

The one that came to my mind immediately is also one of my all time favorites .

A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin .  Highly recommended !

#6 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan
  • LocationKent

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm reading a good one at the moment courtesy of Amazon Vine and is due for release in mid Jan 2014, called "The Moon Field" by Judith Allnatt.  Another good read was "My Dear I wanted to tell you" by Louisa Young.  There is an excellent one by Susan Hill but the title totally eludes me at the moment.  Anne Perry has also  written a series of WW1 books, the most memorable for me being Shoulder the Sky.

Strange Meeting is the Susan Hill book.

Edited by SueK, 07 November 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#7 gardengirl

gardengirl

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Reading now?:The Rapture by Liz Jensen
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm reading a good one at the moment courtesy of Amazon Vine and is due for release in mid Jan 2014, called "The Moon Field" by Judith Allnatt.  Another good read was "My Dear I wanted to tell you" by Louisa Young.  There is an excellent one by Susan Hill but the title totally eludes me at the moment.  Anne Perry has also  written a series of WW1 books, the most memorable for me being Shoulder the Sky.

Strange Meeting is the Susan Hill book.

:I-Agree:

#8 vodkafan

vodkafan

TBR now out of control

• Advanced Member
  • 5,945 posts
  • LocationDeepest England

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi James, nobody has mentioned  A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot.

#9 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan
  • LocationKent

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hi James, nobody has mentioned  A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot.

Good shout Vodkafan.  I bought this book fairly recently as the DVD is one of my all-time favourites. 

Another good book (although non-fiction but reads as fiction) is Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain.

#10 cuppycakes

cuppycakes

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Reading now?:The First Elizabeth by Carolly Erickson
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

how can mentioning a book you have just read be promotional? Unless you wrote it yourself? :giggle2:

I have read anumber of books set in WW1 but just off the top of my head can't think of any with the exception of the brilliant trilogy written by Pat Barker [fiction] Im hope less with titles but it may be Regeneration[maybe not] just google this author and you will find out. Oh there is also Sebastion Foulks as well, he has written a couple of good books set in this time period which you may enjoy [I know that Birdsong is one.]

Birdsong! I read that in another book club I was in. The book is well written and very realistic. Glad I read it. But it was a bit too mature for me. And the storyline I didn't find all that interesting. I didn't like the adaptation either.

Edited by cuppycakes, 15 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#11 saintmark

saintmark

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

William Boyd -Waiting for sunrise

#12 paulh2oman

paulh2oman

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

If you like alternative historical fiction, Harry Turtledove is a fun read. He covers the major wars including WWI.

#13 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

Although the original poster hasn't been back on the forum for a few years, I thought I'd add to this thread in case anyone else was interested.  I've just finished The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson which is set in Rye, East Sussex, just before the outbreak of the first World War and follows through into the early period of the war too, and I thought it was a fantastic read, and would recommend it.  It gives a feeling of how the war affected a local community as well as telling the main characters personal stories.

#14 Lilliputian

Lilliputian

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Reading now?:Stigmata by Colin Falconer

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

I quite like Black Poppies by J J Kennard. Has a bit of a Hemmingway feel to it.

#15 shades

shades

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

An awful lot of people sign up and in their first posts mention an obscure or very recently published book, only to disappear into the internet fog. It then turns out that they are associated with / are the author or something to do with a publishing house. Occasionally someone without deceptive intent can get caught in the net. :smile:

In answer to the query;

I can thoroughly recommend the two mentioned by gardengirl above,

The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Other well known ones would include;

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Remarque

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford

Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves (a memoir)

All Quiet on The Western Front..

A great Movie, maybe I will pick up the book.

Did you see the movie as well?

#16 poppy

poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • 4,516 posts
  • Reading now?:The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Although the original poster hasn't been back on the forum for a few years, I thought I'd add to this thread in case anyone else was interested.  I've just finished The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson which is set in Rye, East Sussex, just before the outbreak of the first World War and follows through into the early period of the war too, and I thought it was a fantastic read, and would recommend it.  It gives a feeling of how the war affected a local community as well as telling the main characters personal stories.

I started reading this Claire, got up to about Chapter 5 then put it aside. Something about it was annoying me, can't quite put my finger on it, but I nearly always like the books you like, so I'll give it another try sometime later. I'm very captivated by books written about the two world wars, particularly ones set in Gt Britain.

#17 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

Oh, what a shame.  It was definitely a grower, and it was probably at least a third of the way in before I was gripped, but I often find that the case.  But hey, maybe on another day, you'll get along with it better. :)

#18 poppy

poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • 4,516 posts
  • Reading now?:The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

Oh, what a shame.  It was definitely a grower, and it was probably at least a third of the way in before I was gripped, but I often find that the case.  But hey, maybe on another day, you'll get along with it better. :)

Just picked this up again, Claire, almost a quarter through now, and it's really growing on me. It may have been I was in the wrong mood before :blush2: Finding Hugh and Daniel particularly witty :D 

#19 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Just picked this up again, Claire, almost a quarter through now, and it's really growing on me. It may have been I was in the wrong mood before :blush2: Finding Hugh and Daniel particularly witty :D 

Oh, I'm so pleased to hear that! :smile2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users