The Saxon Stories - Bernard Cornwell

przemekpajak2

Hello everyone,

I have question to people who read "The Burning Land " and "Death of Kings" from "The Saxon Tales".

​I read all previous books from this series, and in my opinion only first and second one really grips me.  

What is your opinion about these books? And all series.

Greetings 

Przemysław Pająk

:welcomeboard: Hello prze, welcome to the forum, hope you will like it. I cant offer an opinion on these books as I havent read them, but they sound interesting.I have read a few of the Sharpe books by same author, which are excellent, as I like history I will try and find these books, so thanks for mentioning them. :smile:

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I have just today finished reading 'Pagan Lord' (I think that it is book 7).

I have really enjoyed this series so far.  I have found them all gripping as they follow Uhtred through the events of history surrounding Alfred the Great's reign of Wessex. 

Have you read all of the books?  Or just those two?  I would recommend (if you haven't) that you start at the beginning with how Uhtred got to where he is now.

That being said,  I was a bit disappointed with 'Pagan Lord'.  I felt that not a lot happened and that the Uhtred character had . . . changed . . . that could be attributed to him being 10 years older than he was in the previous book, but I definitely noticed a difference in the way he was written. 

But it has not turned me from the series.  I looking forward to the next instalment.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am just finishing 'The Empty Throne' now ...... I'm disappointed!

This series started brilliantly, so much happened in each book and the story was gripping.  The last few that I have read feel as though he isn't putting in any effort at all!  Hardly anything happens in the books.  In this book all that has happened is a witan (meeting) in Mercia, a visit to Wales and I'm guessing that the book is going to finish with a battle ..... that's it!  Plus I think I could have easily finished it in one day (if I had a day to sit down and read!), I'm reading it on a kindle so I don't know if the amount of pages has reduced. 

Shame, i really liked this series .....

• 3 months later...

I have read the Series all the way thru 'The Death of Kings' so far and love it.  I do have to admit though that the third book 'The Lords of the North' started very slowly, but trust me it does speed up.

• 2 weeks later...