Featured Author - Kate Harrison

:lol: Can you tell us what you're working on next?

Two things: I'm writing my next book, to be published in May of next year. It's called The Secret Shopper's Revenge and is about mystery shoppers, who are PAID to go shopping undercover and snoop on bad service. It's a fun subject, but the three women I feature each have big secrets of their own. They're forced to work together, like Charlie's Angels, and it's about female friendship - and shopping. I have quite an ambivalent attitude to shopping - I hate it when you walk into a shop and you feel like you don't belong or you're too plump/old or whatever to shop there and I wanted to have some fun with that.

This sounds great. I love the synopsis for it and even just the title alone sounds like fun...which brings me on to another question - hope you don't mind. :thud:

How and when do you come up with your titles? Do you get the basis of the story and plot outlines first and then think of a title (which I imagine to be the case) or have you thought up a title and then liked it so much that you've then had to come up with a plot to fit it? Oh and do your titles ever change as the book progresses?

Right, let's try again!

3. Would you like to see any of your novels made into movies?

4. What tips do you have for aspiring writers?

Oh and one more...

5. I really like the cover of The Self-Preservation Society, how much influence do you have over the covers? Do you get the final okay on it?

Movies

How and when do you come up with your titles? Do you get the basis of the story and plot outlines first and then think of a title (which I imagine to be the case) or have you thought up a title and then liked it so much that you've then had to come up with a plot to fit it? Oh and do your titles ever change as the book progresses?

Oh, another interesting one! It

I learned a lesson from my first book, Old School Ties, which features a distinctly arch, bitchy central character. I totally understood why she was the way she was, but quite a few people said to me that she was too unlikeable and hard to identify with. So now I work harder at showing the human side of everyone, even my villains. That doesn't mean making everyone cute and adorable, but it does mean making them understandable...

Kate, if you're still popping in, I just wanted to say that I started Old School Ties last night, and so far I love the central character.. she's making me laugh. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got round to finishing Old School Ties today, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan on chick lit with a young, ditzy lead character, who's only concern is which boyfriend to choose, and which pair of shoes to buy next.. I much prefer the ones that are a little different, such as older characters with real histories, and real concerns.