• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got ....

World War Z

Shaun Hutson - Last Rites

Justin Cronin -  Passage

Stephen King - The Bachman Books

Stephen King - 11/22/63

All in excellent condition and got them all for £2, bargain!!

You're very lucky in the UK being able to buy books from charity shops so easily. I know because we come to England every year now from Australia and one of the first things we do is find an Oxfam bookshop.

Tasmania is a tiny island of half a million, widely dispersed, and our charity shops only carry a small number of books and usually fairly old ones. There are 2nd hand book shops but they tend to charge up to half the new price.  So i buy most of my books 2nd hand from amzon.uk as even with the postage, it's cheaper than here.  Also, the sort of books I read are often not  available here at all so you have to order things in anyway.

• 1 month later...

Charity shops are brilliant for books I find.I travel around about a 30mile radius from where I live and the bargains I get are tremendous.

I once got a jasper fforde book i had been after for 40p.I had even tried ordering it from my favourite independent book shop but it's out of print.in fact they had several of Mr ffordes but I already had them.

I need banning from my local oxfam bookshop,I spend far too much there.I'm on 1st name terms with most the staff/volunteers

• 4 months later...

We have an Age UK bookshop a few miles from here - they sell most books for a pound; biogs are often 2 for a pound. They sell a few antiquarian books cheaply (I picked up a 1930s Winnie The Pooh without a DJ but in great condition for £2.50) . On the other hand, an Oxfam bookshop in Bloomsbury, London  often have daft prices - I think they look at Abebooks and select the most expensive price. That said, they do occasionally have a few inexplicably cheap bargains so its always worth popping in (for the stuff I like anyway).

• 1 month later...

We used to have 4 or 5 charity shops in my local shopping centre, but now I think there is only one - the British Heart Foundation.  I popped in for the first time a few weeks back and was a little surprised to find paperbacks selling at £2 each.  It's not that I begrudge paying £2 per book as at the end of the day it's still a lot cheaper than buying brand new but I did find myself saying 'thanks, but no thanks' mainly because I picked up a book that I had been looking for for ages only to find a long hair sticking out from between the pages and for some reason it put me right off.

We used to have 4 or 5 charity shops in my local shopping centre, but now I think there is only one - the British Heart Foundation.  I popped in for the first time a few weeks back and was a little surprised to find paperbacks selling at £2 each.  It's not that I begrudge paying £2 per book as at the end of the day it's still a lot cheaper than buying brand new but I did find myself saying 'thanks, but no thanks' mainly because I picked up a book that I had been looking for for ages only to find a long hair sticking out from between the pages and for some reason it put me right off.

Used book shops not for you then, I guess?! :giggle2: Have to say, its quite rare I buy a book new. I've come across a discarded note and bookmark in a book but not hairs yet. :)

Used book shops not for you then, I guess?! :giggle2:

The funny thing is I'm a regular visitor to my local library and have no problem borrowing books from them... although if there is two copies of the book I will pick the one in the best condition.

The funny thing is I'm a regular visitor to my local library and have no problem borrowing books from them... although if there is two copies of the book I will pick the one in the best condition.

Maybe if you came across a hair in one at the library, that would put you off libraries too. :)

It would put me off that's for sure!  I occasionally buy from used or charity bookshops, and donate books to a friend's charity, but would only buy if it was in pretty good condition, I don't mind faded pages (inevitable with a paperback) or a bit of creasing on the spine, but nothing in really bad condition.

On 25-8-2016 at 8:49 PM, Flip Martian said:

I think I'm going to start putting individual hairs somewhere in a book next time I visit my shops... Little time bombs, perhaps... ;)

You're not going to let that go are you?!   :D

On 26-8-2016 at 10:38 AM, Nollaig said:

I wouldn't like finding hairs either. I'd probably just take them out and buy the book anyway, it's only hair, but it would still make me pause.

I know.  You're right.  It was a bit daft.  I am determined to go back to said shop and purchase at least one book!  Stay tuned.

Who gets a book and thinks "I'l just leave some hair in here"?  :blush:

Seriously, the mind boggles, but maybe that's just me - I don't have enough hair to spare leaving it between the pages of a book!

I do like a charity shop for books. We have an Age Concern up our high st that has a separate book room. Problem is, I've now given so many books to it, that when In go in I recognise a lot of the books in there as mine. I need to get into the habit of giving the books to one shop, and buying from a different one. 

On 27-8-2016 at 10:35 PM, ian said:

Who gets a book and thinks "I'l just leave some hair in here"?  :blush:

Ah some of us shed a lot! I find my hairs EVERYWHERE, there was one stuck to the back door handle today, but they turn up absolutely everywhere. Probably wound up there by accident.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The only charity bookstore I've ever been to is the Oxfam store in Gent. I'm sure there's one closer in Kortrijk, but I never go to that city if I can help it. It's been a while, though, so I don't know the prices, but they do sound similar. I know my sister brings the books she's read and doesn't want to keep to the Oxfam bookstore.

I'm that guy who reads a book, didn't like it that much but still can't give it away either.

I don't mind passing my old books onto charity shops but I have to say I don't buy any from them.  I go into the Works as you can get good bargains and they are new.

I don't like going through books other people have read in case I find food dropped on the pages, grease stains etc. ugh

Ugh gross, I've bought an occasional book from an Oxfam shop near work, and they're always  in perfect condition, including a brand new hardback for £4.00! None of the books I bought look like they've even been read.

One of the pleasures of charity shop book shopping (or second-hand bookshops) is the not knowing if you are going to find something fantastic or not. Sometimes it feels to easy to buy a book new from a store - I like the idea that I "found" it. Silly, I know, but I can't help myself.

On 24/04/2017 at 1:05 PM, ian said:

One of the pleasures of charity shop book shopping (or second-hand bookshops) is the not knowing if you are going to find something fantastic or not. Sometimes it feels to easy to buy a book new from a store - I like the idea that I "found" it. Silly, I know, but I can't help myself.

I agree with that - I know people who only buy stuff they're actually looking for but I just go in and see if anything takes my eye. I took 2 bags into our local Age UK shop today and came home with 7 more (all £1 each). None of which I knew about before I went in.

99% of my books come in second hand. I've still never found food, hairs or anything else in them, apart from the odd bookmark :)

• 1 month later...