Books from Charity Shops

geordie9

Just wondered what books and what deals people get from there local charity shops. Mine i get 3 books for £1. Just got 3 Stephen King books for a pound. Tommyknockers, Dolores Claiborne and Four Past Midnight all hardback as well. Last week i got Misery, Geralds Game & The Shining (also all hardback) for £1. Got Black House for 50p 2day as well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best charity shop round my way is the one attached to the recycling plant. 5 paperbacks for £1. hardbacks for £1. Also a fantastic source for rucksacks, old victorian paintings and frames, cds (3 for £1) DVDs (£1) sports and camping equipment and old maps. and photographs In the town centre itself there are 11 more charity shops of varying quality. The one I never go to is oxfam the books are ridiculous prices . 

Edited by vodkafan

We used to have a Mercy in Action bookshop which sold all books for £1 each and they had a fantastic selection. Sadly they told that the council needed the shop back and they closed. The shop has now stood empty for 18 months :banghead:

My local charity shop doesn't usually have any deals, the books are usually priced 0.50 € - 1.00 € (usually 0.50 €). They once had a deal where they gave 50% off on all books (that was amazing), I don't remember them having any other deals. I find the prices excellent and really enjoy going in there and finding some nice books.

I find Oxfam and BHF quite expensive but they seem to have the best selection of books, :shrug: but Cancer Research is my favourite has it has a good selection and very cheap.

BHF is stupidly expensive - my local one sells paperbacks for up to £2.50 each. This always makes me laugh because the book shop I used to work at (The Works) sells 3 paperbacks for £5, and most of these end up in BHF being more expensive second-hand than the original price for brand new.

It is, however, the only local charity shop where I have even a remote chance of finding something I want. :shrug:

BHF is stupidly expensive - my local one sells paperbacks for up to £2.50 each. This always makes me laugh because the book shop I used to work at (The Works) sells 3 paperbacks for £5, and most of these end up in BHF being more expensive second-hand than the original price for brand new.

I love The Works, I always manage to find books in there I didn't even know I wanted :doh:

That is quite amusing, at least it's going to a good cause I suppose.

I love The Works, I always manage to find books in there I didn't even know I wanted :doh:

When I worked there I used to buy so many books I didn't need (I still do, but that's not the point). It's probably responsible for around 50% of my TBR. :giggle2:

That is quite amusing, at least it's going to a good cause I suppose.

Yeah, I shouldn't moan really, and I don't think I'd begrudge paying them twice that amount since it's for charity. It's just that we used to get loads of people (mainly of the older generation) coming into our work complaining about it, and saying they'd rather pay less money and get them brand new at our place. You'd think BHF would at least put them into a similar multi-buy offer to stave off the competition. :shrug:

It sounds as though you guys have better prices on used books . Ours are about $ 1.00 ,most places , sometimes $1.50 .. that's mainly paperbacks , hardbacks can be around 2.50 ,depends on the place .

We have a really nice used bookstore that donates all their money to a foundation called Project Read ,which helps people learn to read, or people from other countries learn our language so they can read better in English .

Their prices were good in the beginning but they have increased to 1.50 for small paperbacks, 2.25 for trade paperbacks ,and 3 bucks for hardbacks .

While we're talking used books, what are some pet peeves you have about used books ?

I won't buy them if they smell like smoke --- gross ...

Or if they have stains on any of the pages ...

Or if they have writing or underlining .. distracts me from the book if I'm looking at what is written in the margins or underlined .

It sounds as though you guys have better prices on used books . Ours are about $ 1.00 ,most places , sometimes $1.50 .. that's mainly paperbacks , hardbacks can be around 2.50 ,depends on the place .

We have a really nice used bookstore that donates all their money to a foundation called Project Read ,which helps people learn to read, or people from other countries learn our language so they can read better in English .

Their prices were good in the beginning but they have increased to 1.50 for small paperbacks, 2.25 for trade paperbacks ,and 3 bucks for hardbacks .

While we're talking used books, what are some pet peeves you have about used books ?

Or if they have writing or underlining .. distracts me from the book if I'm looking at what is written in the margins or underlined .

I dont like it when the pages have been folded in the corners for when people keep their page, isnt that what bookmarks are for?

I totally agree on folded pages and distorted books, I never know what size I'm buying on the internet. As far as I'm concerned Paperbacks are small, Trade pb are slightly bigger and then Lf are hardback size. Recently on play, I've noticed B? Formats and have no idea. Abercrombie 3 x Tpb set phew, The heroes Lf, I think this was B format and it is a Lf book, but as I got it cheap can't complain.

Help!

My local charity shop most paper backs are between 40p to £1 whilst the hardbacks are from £1 to about £3. I got hold of "Tis" by Frank McCourt for 50p, Dawn French's "Dear Fatty" for £1 in hardback and a large opera guide in hardback for £2 the other day so well pleased.

The  High street where I live is awash with charity shops, and most seem to have paperbacks for 99p. We tend to take a lot of stuff to charity shops, I always take the bags to the one with a seperate book room. Shamefully, I don't actually know what charity it's for - it's the first shop you get to from the car park, so it's always going to win out when I'm carrying heavy bags full of donations! The room full of books is just a happy bonus!!

x  

I dont like it when the pages have been folded in the corners for when people keep their page, isnt that what bookmarks are for?

x

I agree with all of these! I have never come across a used book that was in a too bad condition to buy, I suppose the charity shops I've been in the books are usually in pretty good condition.

I used to sort the books at the charity shop I worked at.  If they were in a rough condition they got chucked.  We got so many we would only put out the good ones.  I bought way too many myself while doing this, but I loved it.  A dream job.

Edited by bookmonkey

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good day at the office today haha, i just bought Dark Tower:Wizards and Glass, Dark Tower:Wolves Of Calla & Stephen King's From A Buick 8. All Hardbacks as well. Only paid £1 english pound for the lot!! Woop Woop!!