Watchers by Dean Koontz

Dreamcatcher

Great story telling. This is a thriller that grabbed me from the very beginning. There is no let up in the suspense. It played all my emotions too, I found it at the same time both heart warming and heart breaking. This has to be the first time I've been reduced to tears by the plight of one of the " bad guys" !

The opening pages find Travis, one of the main characters , out in the woods hoping to recapture the carefree feeling of his younger days, when he meets a scruffy dog,which is obviously afraid of something and wants to protect Travis from the unseen foe.He takes the dog home and adopts it.

Then we meet Nora, a thirty year old woman who has been virtually kept prisoner by her recently deceased aunt and is being molested by a sexual predator.

Then there is the crazy hit man who thinks he can achieve immortality by acquiring the souls of his victims.

Stranger murders are happening too, the details of which the federal police are anxious to keep secret.

Gradually we see the connection between these events and characters.

Einstein, the dog, protects Travis and Nora and they in turn watch over it after a brutal attack,she comments"We have a responsibility to stand watch over one another, we are watchers all,of us, watchers guarding against the darkness".

This responsibility leads them to flee across the country from an unknown, but monstrous enemy.

I think the most scary thing about his book is that the sci fi part, which I haven't mentioned so as not to give too much away, isn't too far fetched.

This is the first Koontz novel I've read and I think it has much to live up to.I enjoyed it a lot and recommend to anyone who likes a scary suspenseful read.

Yes, I didn't see it, but from what I've heard it doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with the book! I mean , for a start they made a middle aged man onto a teenager and his wife into his mother! I guess if you saw the film first it could well,put you off reading the book, which would be a shame I think.

• 3 weeks later...