Divergent / Insurgent / Allegiant - Veronica Roth

Michelle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading Divergent, wow, what a read!

Here's a copy of my thoughts on it (posted in my reading log):

This book was immediately interesting and gripping. I wanted to know more about the world and its characters. The writing style is more direct and immediate, there are less descriptions of things and the language used in the writing is not very difficult.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the world with its different factions and loved to get to know more about them. There are five factions of which the main character has to make a choice of. I had a bit of trouble at first remembering which one was which but as I got to know more about them I was able to seperate them more easily.

I loved the characters too. Tris, the main character, was quite well written, as were the other characters. They are interesting to read about. I think Tris would be my favourite character but a lot of other ones were interesting too.

There is plenty of action in the book, it's quite tense. It made me want to keep reading it (this is a good thing :readingtwo:)!

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book and can hardly wait to start with the next part (Insurgent). The book does have an ending but I want to find out what happens after! I didn't think the book would be quite this good. The book has a few similarities to The Hunger Games but both worlds and their inhabiting characters are quite different.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

I'm looking forward to reading the other two books!

• 1 month later...

They're short? I thought I read on her blog that she released them later than expected because they were longer than she expected them to be. Maybe I read it wrong...

Ya see above :smile:

• 3 months later...

I don't know how to feel about these books yet. I loved Divergent and then when Insurgent came around my feelings had started to change. Now don't get me wrong I love the series but like many others I do not agree with how Veronica Roth ended the last book. It was super sad and dissappointing. I mean I guess I can see why she would do such a thing but at the same time it goes against the "unsaid," rules of fiction books, especially young adult. I know that i will pick up the first book but other than that I have not been able to come around to reading the last two again. Although I did pick up the book Four by Veronica Roth and did enjoy that.

It was super sad and dissappointing. I mean I guess I can see why she would do such a thing but at the same time it goes against the "unsaid," rules of fiction books, especially young adult. I know that i will pick up the first book but other than that I have not been able to come around to reading the last two again. Although I did pick up the book Four by Veronica Roth and did enjoy that.

I agree! I did like the book a lot though and admire her for trying something different. I'm glad you liked Four, it's on my wishlist.

I know that i will pick up the first book but other than that I have not been able to come around to reading the last two again. Although I did pick up the book Four by Veronica Roth and did enjoy that.

I just started The Transfer again, just a few pages in.  But now I think I might stop, read Divergent again and then read all of Four.  I may do this next, after 12 Years...

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority, didn't mind the end, but I did mind how it was written and handled.  I also liked Insurgent and Allegiant, Allegiant not as much, but it was an easy 3/5, definitely.  Both Divergent and Insurgent are equal in my mind and I can't wait for Insurgent (the movie).  Hopefully, they can do a better job than they did with Divergent (the movie).

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you about unsaid rules. :) Whilst I stay generally undecided about Allegiant as a whole, I believe that authors have to right to do whatever they wish with their stories, and I like to see books which offer something different. 

Hopefully, they can do a better job than they did with Divergent (the movie).

I haven't seen it yet but believe it's out in Blu-ray soon so then I can watch it. So I can't comment on the film, but I hope they do a good job with Insurgent regardless.

I haven't seen it yet but believe it's out in Blu-ray soon so then I can watch it. So I can't comment on the film, but I hope they do a good job with Insurgent regardless.

Both my mom and a family friend liked it, without reading the book, so...  I think I just knew too much of Tris' motives and her mind after reading Divergent to like the movie.  There is so much internal stuff in her character that a movie can't capture!

I've learnt over to time to appreciate a book and film as different entities. :)

It's hard after Hunger games, but I'm trying  lol  I've decided to watch The Maze Runner before I see it, just based on my experience with Divergent (the book and movie)!

I've decided to watch The Maze Runner before I see it

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to watch The Maze Runner before seeing Divergent or do you mean watching the film before reading the book, or reading the book before seeing the film? :blush2:.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to watch The Maze Runner before seeing Divergent or do you mean watching the film before reading the book, or reading the book before seeing the film? :blush2:.

That was the worst English ever.  So Sorry :blush2:  :blush2: Most of the time, posters with English not as a native language, convey their meanings and write better than I do.  :blush2:  I meant, because of reading Divergent before seeing the movie, I knew so much more of the inner stuff, it made the movie insufficient in my mind.  So, I think I am going to watch the movie to The Maze Runner before I read it, so I won't be as disappointed as I was in Divergent.

*sigh*  I'm just getting nervous over going back to school.  I've become manic about my English, over correcting myself, putting myself down, etc.  The 13th is going to be a BIG manic day.

Edited by Anna Begins

I just started The Transfer again, just a few pages in.  But now I think I might stop, read Divergent again and then read all of Four.  I may do this next, after 12 Years...

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority, didn't mind the end, but I did mind how it was written and handled.  I also liked Insurgent and Allegiant, Allegiant not as much, but it was an easy 3/5, definitely.  Both Divergent and Insurgent are equal in my mind and I can't wait for Insurgent (the movie).  Hopefully, they can do a better job than they did with Divergent (the movie).

I agree I don't mind how it ended, I do have some gripes with it though. 

I get letting her die. I appreciate that Roth went a different way and allowed the main character to actually die instead of just going into every possible deadly situation and somehow survive. I just don't like how she did it. Tris survives the death serum only to be shot? Seemed pretty dumb to me. I get that it shows that she had this amazing ability to not be affected by serums, but to die by being shot right after just seems silly to me. Rant over. LOL

Darn!  I can never do that Spoiler thing and my response could be a spoiler.  Anyway, I agree about the end, but I usually am willing to suspend my disbelief so I bought it :P

That was the worst English ever.  So Sorry :blush2:  :blush2: Most of the time, posters with English not as a native language, convey their meanings and write better than I do.  :blush2:  I meant, because of reading Divergent before seeing the movie, I knew so much more of the inner stuff, it made the movie insufficient in my mind.  So, I think I am going to watch the movie to The Maze Runner before I read it, so I won't be as disappointed as I was in Divergent.

*sigh*  I'm just getting nervous over going back to school.  I've become manic about my English, over correcting myself, putting myself down, etc.  The 13th is going to be a BIG manic day.

Ah :)! Don't worry, I think it's just a matter of your brain messing up a little. I get this a lot too. I always thought it was normal :shrug:.

Darn! I can never do that Spoiler thing and my response could be a spoiler. Anyway, I agree about the end, but I usually am willing to suspend my disbelief so I bought it :P

You make spoiler tags by typing [ spoiler ]Your Spoiler here[ / spoiler ] without spaces between the [ ]. If you enable BBmove (press the light switch at the top left of the post, and have quoted someone who used the tags, you should be able to see it.

(test spoiler:)

This is a spoiler.

Darn!  I can never do that Spoiler thing and my response could be a spoiler.  Anyway, I agree about the end, but I usually am willing to suspend my disbelief so I bought it :P

The way I always do it is hit the picture looking thing at the top left corner and choose spoiler and it has you type your spoiler inside then you press ok and there it is  :D