The English Counties Challenge

I just read a bit about it and in the opening pages it states "The border of Radnor and Hereford was said to run right through the middle of the staircase."!  :)

I can't come up with any better suggestions for Herefordshire or Greater Manchester.  :)   I like the idea of the Gaskell - I think she's probably more famous than Walter Greenwood, and her book is probably more famous than his?

I just read a bit about it and in the opening pages it states "The border of Radnor and Hereford was said to run right through the middle of the staircase."!  :)

I can't come up with any better suggestions for Herefordshire or Greater Manchester.  :)   I like the idea of the Gaskell - I think she's probably more famous than Walter Greenwood, and her book is probably more famous than his?

I'd go for Gaskell, but would have thought that North and South was more famous than Mary Barton

On Herefordshire, On the Black Hill was the one I had down.

On plays:  if they are included, could we please have a 'novel' alternative? For me, plays are not designed as books for reading, being generally designed to be performed and seen that way; having studied umpteen in the past, I have little desire to read them as a book (Under Milk Wood being an exception!).  Narrow minded, I'm sure, but would appreciate the choice.

Edited by willoyd

On plays:  if they are included, could we please have a 'novel' alternative? For me, plays are not designed as books for reading, being generally designed to be performed and seen that way; having studied umpteen in the past, I have little desire to read them as a book (Under Milk Wood being an exception!).  Narrow minded, I'm sure, but would appreciate the choice.

Yes, I'd agree, that was my suggestion as well, but I certainly wouldn't exclude plays that are commonly read as books. I suspect, apart from Shakespeare, we probably won't get any others nominated.

I'd go for Gaskell, but would have thought that North and South was more famous than Mary Barton

On Herefordshire, On the Black Hill was the one I had down.

I wasn't entirely sure of the location of North and South but both seem equally well known to me. It looks as though either would probably be more famous than the Greenwood, so I'll just update the nominations and see which the others prefer:

Greater Manchester:

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell

And again, unless anyone else has any nominations for Herefordshire, it looks like it'll be On the Black Hill.

I'm not going to be any help with choosing which one we read for Greater Manchester!  I've never read Gaskell before (and I didn't watch North and South when it was on TV - well, not the Gaskell one, anyway!).  Having just read the synopses I like the sound of both of them, so if Gaskell it is then I really don't mind which it is!  :)

I think North and South is probably the most famous but I'd be happy with either.

The only other play that I can think of is The Importance of Being Earnest which I guess would have come under Hertfordshire and as such could never win out against Pride and Prejudice .. though it is pretty famous. 

I think it's important, if we can, to include Shakespeare as he's considered to be one of our greatest writers but alternatives for those that don't wish to read him is a good idea. It would seem a shame too not to include Oscar somewhere .. though I don't know if that can be achieved now.

I think North and South is probably the most famous but I'd be happy with either.

I'd be happy with either too, but (whilst I've read Mary Barton but not N&S), I reckon, like Kay, that N&S is the more famous, so will plump for that as my 'vote'.

I think it's important, if we can, to include Shakespeare as he's considered to be one of our greatest writers but alternatives for those that don't wish to read him is a good idea.

Am certainly happy with that! Without wanting to jump in precipitously, I'm assuming we'll look at something like As You Like It, with the Forest of Arden as such an important part of the setting?  There aren't may Shakespeare plays actually set in Warwickshire.

Goodness i have missed a lot over the weekend just trying to catch up & sort out where we're up to so if i miss any counties let me know. 

Brighton Rock i'd say is more famous than Mapp & Lucia but like others i'd rather read the latter so it would be great if we could have either or  :smile:

I'm very happy to read Mrs Gaskell 's North & South for Greater Manchester :D

Like Willoyd i'm not keen on reading plays so it would be great to have an alternative novel as well.

Is that everything or did i miss one out ?

Brighton Rock i'd say is more famous than Mapp & Lucia but like others i'd rather read the latter so it would be great if we could have either or  :smile:

Is that everything or did i miss one out ?

Just that neither is being used, as we remembered that Winnie-the-Pooh is set in East Sussex. :smile:

North and South it is for Greater Manchester then, and On The Black Hill for Herefordshire.

Next up are:

Isle of Wight:
England, England by Julian Barnes
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

Lancashire:
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson
The Dressmaker by Beryl Bainbridge

These were the ones I could find - any other suggestions?

For the Isle Of Wight - Wish You Were Here  Graham Swift but it's not as well known as Day Of The Triffids .

I thought there would be more choices for Lancashire but i couldn't turn up anymore either. I do like Beryl Bainbridge but feel that Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit has the edge in the fame department.

I would like to nominate Mist Over Pendle by Robert Neill, just because the Pendle Witch Trials are so famous.

For the Isle of Wight, I was going to mention The Trespasser by D H Lawrence - although only part of the book is set there, so maybe that's not enough of a qualification?

I realise these nominations probably aren't for the most famous book, but I'm not sure the IoW has a book famously set there - and Day of the Triffids is only partly set there too - and if memory serves, not much of it takes place there.  Also, it's already been done as a Reading Circle on here.  :)

I had England, England down for Isle of Wight, and Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit down for Lancashire.  Will stick with those unless there's anything else in the pipeline.  For me the IoW element is too small in Day of the Triffids, and i don't think the Graham Swift book is any more famous.  I was suprised too how few Lancashire based books there seem to be, but in any case OANTOF is a good one to have to represent a county.

Janet, I like your suggestion for Lancashire, but I agree with the others that Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit is probably the more famous book, however, personally I think I might read Mist Over Pendle as well.

No consensus for IOW yet, so just a reminder of the updated list …

Isle of Wight:
England, England by Julian Barnes
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
Wish You Were Here by Graham Swift
The Trespasser by D. H. Lawrence

I'll add another county as well, and next on the list is:

Leicestershire
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾ by Sue Townsend
The Right To An Answer by Anthony Burgess

Oh Adrian Mole for sure :)

I'm going to say The Day of the Triffids for IOW .. I'd like to see John in there somewhere and it is the most famous book on the list. It is pivotal to the story as well though probably doesn't get many pages devoted to it .. but I was happy for that to be the case with Dracula so can't change my reasonings now. I must admit to a slight prejudice against England, England as the one time I tried to read it I couldn't get on with it :blush: (but .. I don't think it's famous anyway). The others I haven't heard of but will seek them out as I would love to read some literature set on the island :)

Of our list of 'definites' I've already read 10.  I'm going to reread some of them for this challenge but I will probably find/read alternatives for some of them.  :)

I've never read any of the Adrian Mole books, so I'm happy to go with that one for Leicestershire.  :)

I was going to nominate The Two Sisters for Bedfordshire.  Also by H E Bates, but personally I'm not a fan of short stories, so I'd prefer this to My Uncle Silas.

I've cocked up, guys.  :(

I was certain I'd checked the availability of this before I nominated it, but I've just looked on Amazon and it's only available on Marketplace - and only three copies second-hand.    It might be better to revert to My Uncle Silas (same author)?  I'm so sorry.

Like Kay, I think it has to be Adrian Mole for Leicestershire.

For me, the Isle of Wight presence in Day of the Triffids is so small, that I can't really go for it, so will stick to the Julian Barnes, even though I can't say he's a favourite of mine!  It's not his most famous book, and if the Isle of Wight played anything other than it's very minor role, Wyndham it would walk it, but as it is the Barnes is, at least fo me, way out in front as a result.

Edited by willoyd

I'm not sure we're getting any sort of agreement for IOW, so maybe we'll just park that one and come back to it at the end, and maybe do a poll or something.

Leicestershire, on the other hand, looks like a landslide for The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾ by Sue Townsend, so that settles that one.

Moving on, we have:

Lincolnshire:

(I couldn't find anything I'd even heard of for this one)

Merseyside
An Awfully Big Adventure by Beryl Bainbridge

All suggestions welcome! :D

For Lincolnshire, Jack's Return Home by Ted Lewis was filmed as Get Carter.  I'm not sure if Lincolnshire is famous for it though (the book - I haven't read it or seen the film!). 

I've read An Awfully Big Adventure.  I will see if I can find anything else.  :)

The Mill on the Floss is set in Lincolnshire!

How odd that it didn't come up on any searches!  I've read her Silas Marner and I loved it.   :)

I couldn't come up with anything else really for Liverpool apart from another Beryl Bainbridge or Twopence to Cross the Mersey (which isn't fiction).