The English Counties Challenge

Having done a bit of detective work a while ago on locational clues, I am 90% certain that Cold Comfort Farm was in West Sussex.

What about Brighton Rock as a contender for East Sussex?

One idea for Devon: To Serve Them All My Days???

Edited by willoyd

Having done a bit of detective work a while ago on locational clues, I am 90% certain that Cold Comfort Farm was in West Sussex.

What about Brighton Rock as a contender for East Sussex?

One idea for Devon: To Serve Them All My Days???

LOVED this book !!!

Based on previous comments, here's the updated lists of nominations for Devon and East Sussex:

Devon:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Sense and Sensibilty by Jane Austen
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle 
The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert
To Serve Them All My Days by R. F. Delderfield

East Sussex:
Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson (not the first, but can be read out of order) 
Between The Acts by Virginia Woolf 
The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell
Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

A classic dilemma: the book I'd most like to read versus the most famous versus most famously associated.

East Sussex: I think Brighton Rock is the most famous but I'd much rather read M&L! So sadly go for Brighton Rock.

Devon: Very difficult. Christie very famous but more than the Hound?? And any association more famous than Dartmoor? But Devon is 'her' county if any is. But want to read Delderfield! In the end, have to split vote between Christie and Conan Doyle given our criteria but can't separate them.

Edited by willoyd

Devon: Difficult as Willoyd says .. I'd pick the same two books The Hound of the Baskervilles and And Then There Were None ... probably THOTB is slightly more famous .. but for the sake of a varied list would prefer to see Agatha representing the county (because they are both pretty famous books).

East Sussex: Has to be between Mapp and Lucia and Brighton Rock .. agree with Willoyd that Brighton Rock is the more famous .. perhaps this is another county we can have alternatives for?

So, we've narrowed it down a bit, but I'm not sure we're getting a consensus.

Devon:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
To Serve Them All My Days by R. F. Delderfield

East Sussex:
Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson
Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

For Devon, I think if we're looking at the books, not the author, I tend to think that The Hound of the Baskervilles is the most famous, but I can concede on arguments for both the other two. I don't really want to have more than two books per county (although obviously we can always refer back to this thread for more alternatives of books of people want to read more), so could we narrow it down to just two?

For East Sussex, should we also have both books? For me, Brighton Rock is perhaps more famous because of the film? I know that for me, the first thing that springs to mind is Dickie Attenborough as soon as anyone mentions the title. That's why, as a book, I would pick Mapp and Lucia, but perhaps as Kay suggests, we should stick with two books?

Can you let me know what you think about Devon based on the narrowed down list, and we'll see if we can get either a single book, or at least just two out of three.

While you're thinking about that, the next counties to discuss will be Essex and as we've found out that Cold Comfort Farm is West Sussex, we might as well carry on with that one too. Any suggestions for these?

Personally I'd like to go for the Christie - if Wikipedia is to be believed she's the best-selling author of all time so it seems 'right' to have her included.

I'd have gone for Mapp and Lucia for East Sussex if I had to choose!

Essex - The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (which I've read) and Mr Britling Sees It Through by H G Wells (which I haven't read) are both set in Essex. 

I'm guessing Willoyd will nominate Barnaby Rudge (that's not a dig at you, btw - just I know your love for Dickens  :)  ).

I don't actually know if Essex is famous for any of those!

The Turn of the Screw is ideal Janet :)Barnaby Rudge is not really one of Dicken's most famous (it's not one of his greatest hits :giggle:) .. I think The Turn of the Screw is equally as well known and .. though I haven't read it :blush2: .. probably a much better book though that's neither here nor there :blush2: 

I'm putting my .. not inconsiderable  :giggle:  .. weight behind And Then There Were None for Devon :smile:  

I've followed this thread closely right from the start, as I find the challenge very interesting, and my schedule permitting I might join you for a few books.

I just wanted to post and say that I counted the counties you've dealt with so far, and you're half way through! :) Good job, I know it's been difficult at times, coming up with titles etc., but you've done great :) It's a great list of books so far, I have most of them on my wishlist or TBR :D

Edited by frankie

In response to your ask Claire:

I think I'd agree with Kay and Janet: On fame, I can't really split HotB and ATTWN (given the sales Claire mentioned, it's got to be up there) but for the sake of variety, I'd go for the Christie book too.  I'm keen to read TSTAMD, but although I suggested it, it really isn't quite as famous as the other two, is it? 

On East Sussex, I'd LIKE to say Mapp and Lucia, but I can't get away from the niggling doubt that Brighton Rock is simply more famous - as is Graham Greene, so would, if pushed, have to plump for that one.  I wouldn't object to a two book choice here, but then I wouldn't if outvoted either!

On Essex, the only two other books that I can think of that might have got in there are The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson, and Secret Water by Arthur Ransome.  But I'd agree with Kay: Barnaby Rudge is not one of Dickens's more famous books, whilst Turn of the Screw is for Henry James, so I'd go for him.

Edited by willoyd

I've (literally!)  just realised that in terms of East Sussex we are ignoring one of the most famous children's (sorry Janet!) books ever written:  Winnie-the-Pooh, which, of course, is all based in the Ashdown Forest, in East Sussex.  A bit more famous than the contenders at present?

I've (literally!)  just realised that in terms of East Sussex we are ignoring one of the most famous children's (sorry Janet!) books ever written:  Winnie-the-Pooh, which, of course, is all based in the Ashdown Forest, in East Sussex.  A bit more famous than the contenders at present?

Why are you apologising to me?

That would instantly I get my vote - I adore Winnie-the-Pooh:wub:

I love Winnie-the-Pooh and it would get my vote regardless of contenders :smile2: 

When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.” :D 

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”

:wub:

Awww .. we could probably just quote from Pooh all night and they'd all be gems :) It's one that I'd look forward to re-reading actually

So Winnie-The-Pooh wins by a mile. I'm absolutely delighted, despite the fact that ...  :hide: I've never read it!!!  A good excuse to rectify that. :D

As we've had no other suggestions forthcoming for West Sussex, can I assume that that we're going with Cold Comfort Farm?

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what everyones thoughts were on all the Essex books, but this is the full list of nominations now:

Essex:
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Mr Britling Sees It Through by H G Wells
Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens
The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson
Secret Water by Arthur Ransome

I would go for The Turn of the Screw as that's the one that jumps out as the most famous to me.

Why are you apologising to me?

That would instantly I get my vote - I adore Winnie-the-Pooh:wub:

Sorry - my memory was faulty and I didn't check back.  It should have been Kidsmum, who was worried about all the children's books!

Yay for Winnie-the-Pooh :)

Absolutely for Cold Comfort Farm :yes: 

.. and my vote for Essex goes to The Turn of the Screw (why did I nearly put 'taming' then? :giggle: .. imagine 'The Taming of the Screw' :D  :D  :D)

That reminds me .. though they are strictly speaking plays .. is the Bard going to be included anywhere?

So Winnie-The-Pooh wins by a mile. I'm absolutely delighted, despite the fact that ...  :hide: I've never read it!!!  A good excuse to rectify that. :D

:o  Oh, you are in for SUCH a treat!

Sorry - my memory was faulty and I didn't check back.  It should have been Kidsmum, who was worried about all the children's books!

Ah I see.  I did wonder what I'd said!  :)

That reminds me .. though they are strictly speaking plays .. is the Bard going to be included anywhere?

He certainly ought to be!

I've updated the county list now, including The Turn of the Screw for Essex too.

Next up, with the books I've found for them are:

Greater Manchester:
Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell
Love on the Dole by Walter Greenwood

Herefordshire:
On The Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin

Edited by chesilbeach

Love on the Dole is a good choice. :)  I will see if I can see anything else.

Herefordshire:
On The Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin

For some reason I thought this was set in Wales! :blush:  Probably because I picked it up in Swansea in September and noted the name down as a possible future read because I liked the sound of it.   :)

For some reason I thought this was set in Wales! :blush:  Probably because I picked it up in Swansea in September and noted the name down as a possible future read because I liked the sound of it.   :)

I think you're right Janet, as it's set on the Wales/Hereford border, and both regions are used within the book. :)