Books like Lord of the Rings?

Rachel56789

I'm looking for some fantasy books similar to The Lord of the Rings. This time I mainly want fantasy books about elves or angels. And mainly set in a mythical world like Lord of the Rings or Narnia.

I only want clean fantasy (battles are fine, but no explicit sex or swearing)

No paranormal fantasy (vampires, etc) I don't read those

If you find anything like what I requested, could you please recommend some titles and authors? Thanks.

Edited by Rachel56789

Well I dunno if any of these are like LOTR as there isn't anything like the LOTR :) but the are good

Fantasy/fiction

Riyria Revelations - Michael J. Sullivan (just finished reading them and they are great)

Corean Chronicles - L.E Modesitt (good books read all six in one go)

Deathgate Cycle - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (wonderful books they really show how stupid war and hate is)

You might also want to try some of the Heralds of Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey (talking horses magic drama iv read almost all of them)

The Elenium, The Tamuli and The Redemption of Althalus - David Eddings (these are the ones that are to be most like LOTR, I have read all of these books more than once and that is saying a great many things in their favor)

Hope that at least on of these books are what you re looking for :)

Well I dunno if any of these are like LOTR as there isn't anything like the LOTR :) but the are good

Fantasy/fiction

Riyria Revelations - Michael J. Sullivan (just finished reading them and they are great)

Deathgate Cycle - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (wonderful books they really show how stupid war and hate is)

You might also want to try some of the Heralds of Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey (talking horses magic drama iv read almost all of them)

The Elenium, The Tamuli and The Redemption of Althalus - David Eddings (these are the ones that are to be most like LOTR, I have read all of these books more than once and that is saying a great many things in their favor)

Ok, thank you :)

You might like the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini (starting with Eragon). It's more YA than adult, but I think they're influenced a lot by Tolkien.

If you liked the maturity of Lord of the Rings, you might also like Gardens of the Moon or Midnight Tides, both by Steven Erikson (my favourite author!).

The Magician trilogy and the Empire trilogy by Raymond E Feist are great, too. :)

I'd recommend the Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens (starting with Wit'ch Fire). I haven't actually read The Lord of the Rings yet though, I've only seen the films. The books are on my shelf but I haven't read them yet (I did read The Hobbit though) :blush:. The Banned and the Banished series is about a young woman who travels with a number of companions on a quest. I haven't read them in a few years but always really loved them (I plan on re-reading them in a little while). It's not quite the same as LOTR, I don't think it has elves tbh, but I found the whole quest thing to be similar. I haven't read any fantasy books about angels, but I do have some in which elves feature. I can't think of any other ones that I've read, that come close to LOTR though. I'd be happy to name you the unread books on my shelves that feature elves but I can't tell you if they come close to the Lord of the Rings books.

I'd recommend the Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens (starting with Wit'ch Fire). I haven't actually read The Lord of the Rings yet though, I've only seen the films. The books are on my shelf but I haven't read them yet (I did read The Hobbit though) :blush:. The Banned and the Banished series is about a young woman who travels with a number of companions on a quest. I haven't read them in a few years but always really loved them (I plan on re-reading them in a little while). It's not quite the same as LOTR, I don't think it has elves tbh, but I found the whole quest thing to be similar. I haven't read any fantasy books about angels, but I do have some in which elves feature. I can't think of any other ones that I've read, that come close to LOTR though. I'd be happy to name you the unread books on my shelves that feature elves but I can't tell you if they come close to the Lord of the Rings books.

Oh ok thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Terry Brook books, The Magic Kingdom or Landover series starting with Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Kingdom-For-Sale-Sold/dp/1857232569/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Landover was a genuine magic kingdom, complete with fairy folk and wizardry,
just as the advertisement had promised. But after he purchased it for a million
dollars, Ben Holiday discovered that there were a few details the ad had failed
to mention.

Such as the fact that the kingdom was falling into ruin. The barons refused
to recognize a king and taxes hadn't been collected for years. The dragon,
Strabo, was laying waste to the countryside, while the evil witch, Nightshade,
was plotting to destroy no less than everything. And if that weren't enough for
a prospective king to deal with, Ben soon learned that the Iron Mark, terrible
lord of the demons, challenged all pretenders to the throne of Landover to a
duel to the death - a duel no mere mortal could hope to win. But Ben Holiday had
one human trait that even magic couldn't overcome. Ben Holiday was stubborn...

There's the Shanara series starting with The Sword of Shanara

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sword-Shannara-Number-1/dp/1841495484/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383594468&sr=1-5&keywords=terry+brooks

Long ago, the world of the Four Lands was torn apart by the wars of ancient
Evil. But in the Vale, the half-human, half-elfin Shea Ohmsford now lives in
peace - until the mysterious, forbidding figure of the druid Allanon appears, to
reveal that the supposedly long dead Warlock Lord lives again.

Shea must embark upon the elemental quest to find the only weapon powerful

enough to keep the creatures of darkness at bay: the fabled Sword of Shannara.

THE SWORD OF SHANNARA is the first volume of the classic series that has
become one of the most popular fantasy tales of all time. A masterful work from
a master storyteller.

Edited by Kreader

Here's another, Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow and Thorne series starting with The Dragonbone Chair.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragonbone-Chair-Memory-Sorrow-Thorne/dp/1841498394/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383595644&sr=1-1&keywords=the+dragonbone+chair

"A thrilling, heartstopping quest that blends the machinations of a king gone mad with the politics of empire, breathtaking suspense with the pity of war, a brilliantly conceived world of ancient days with the joys - and terrors - of magic ..."

I read this years ago. There is an ancient race. They just don't call them elves.

Edited by Kreader

The Riyria series were wonderful :)

The link to info about the books on wikipedia

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riyria_Revelations

Edited by Vimes

• 1 month later...

You might enjoy the Chronicles of Amber! A royal family who can manipulate the fabric of reality and meld dimensions. It's pretty clean and it's a great read with a lot to it. It's like Lord of the Rings meets the Matrix!

• 1 month later...

Fantasy/fiction

omg thank you! you're recommendation is really helpful! I love fantasy books. I've been looking for good recommendations but my friends can't seem to suggest anything that doesn't have a supposedly sexy bloodsucker in it.

omg thank you! you're recommendation is really helpful! I love fantasy books. I've been looking for good recommendations but my friends can't seem to suggest anything that doesn't have a supposedly sexy bloodsucker in it.

Vampires are just not sexy, not on any plant lol. I'm just glad to have helped, you might want to look at some of Mercedes Lackeys other series as well as maybe taking a look at these Authors,

Alison Goodman

Daniel Fox

Kristen Britain

Lloyd Alexander

Piers Anthony

Richard Adams (maybe no true fantasy but stop great books)

Robin hobb

Terry brooks

And

Terry Goodkind

Edited by Vimes

Vampires are just not sexy, not on any plant lol. I'm just glad to have helped, you might want to look at some of Mercedes Lackeys other series as well as maybe taking a look at these Authors,

Alison Goodman

Daniel Fox

Kristen Britain

Lloyd Alexander

Piers Anthony

Richard Adams (maybe no true fantasy but stop great books)

Robin hobb

Terry brooks

And

Terry Goodkind

oh wow. You've read a lot of books! Sometimes I get sad thinking about all the great books I am yet to read. Now a days, I can't seem to find the time and drive for reading most of the time.

Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett? The disc world?

As Athena said in her post, I got my name from Vimes so yes I have read them and have injoyed then hugely. I often say they are the book version of comfort food for me. LOL :D

oh wow. You've read a lot of books! Sometimes I get sad thinking about all the great books I am yet to read. Now a days, I can't seem to find the time and drive for reading most of the time.

Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett? The disc world?

Ai sometimes feel that way myself, so many book so little time! Then I decided that the faster I read them the quicker I could get to the next one lol it hasn't worked so well as there always seems to be new books :P

Vimes,

oh and I totally saved your recommendations in a text file on my android. I hope to read all of these as soon as a get my hands on them.

Ah good this is something that I always forget to do, I find great book and I say to myself 'naah I will remember it!' Then when I want to get the book I'm like 'well it was a book...by somebody...and it was about...ummm' :P lol

Ai sometimes feel that way myself, so many book so little time! Then I decided that the faster I read them the quicker I could get to the next one lol it hasn't worked so well as there always seems to be new books :P

Ah good this is something that I always forget to do, I find great book and I say to myself 'naah I will remember it!' Then when I want to get the book I'm like 'well it was a book...by somebody...and it was about...ummm' :P lol

lol. I'm not very bright at remembering these things so I'm always quick to save any text thats of use to me :D