The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Janet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I was not familiar with Kate Morton before reading about her books here! I've placed a hold on The House at Riverton, ordered The Shifting Fog on ILL, and will wait for The Forgotten Garden to become available. They all sound so good. Thanks for suggesting this author!

Edited by grammyva

I don't know what ILL is, and I hate to tell you this, but you've ordered the same book twice. :) The Shifting Fog is the same book as The House at Riverton. I believe it was originally called the former but then changed to THAR.

Is it too late to cancel one?

I don't know what ILL is, and I hate to tell you this, but you've ordered the same book twice. :lol:The Shifting Fog is the same book as The House at Riverton. I believe it was originally called the former but then changed to THAR.

Is it too late to cancel one?

OOps! ILL stands for Interlibrary Loan and I ordered The Shifting Fog from another library through my local library. Had no idea it was the same book with a different title. I am confused as my library had The Shifting Fog on CD but not in print. Guess I'll cancel it and save them the work locating a copy for me. Thanks for the tip! :)

No problem. :) It's a good job you hadn't ordered them from a paying site rather than a library.

It's rather annoying when books are rebranded for different markets without the fact being made clear. I know some of Emily Barr's books have different titles in the USA/UK, as do Sophie Kinsella's!

• 2 years later...

I bought a perfect condition copy of this the other day for €1.50 in a charity shop. Think I'm going to start reading it. I had a brief look through the reading circle discussion but that doesn't have to be spoilered, so I don't want to poke around there too much.

I'm glad to see so many good responses to it here though! :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the House at Riverton when I read it a few years' back. I bought the Forgotten Garden at a village fete recently so I will move that up the TBR list. I particularly like that period of history too.

I'm 431 pages in and will easily finish it tonight. It's fantastic. It's not TERRIBLY exciting all the time, but it's got the perfect blend of drama and everyday life over a period of ten years. Much of it serves no real purpose, I think it just more than adequately indulges the author's interest in the time period - as it will do for anyone else with a particular interest in those years. It's very well written, SO easy to read. And surprisingly easy to recall all the events and the order thereof.... I had to actively stop myself from running down to Waterstones to get The Forgotten Garden, but I suspect I shan't be slow about getting down there tomorrow to get it :lol:

This is easily going to be one of my absolute favourite books.