The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Janet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great book. I still cannot find my notebook. Has anyone seen it??:lol:;)

Anyway, I guessed one of the secrets. It was obvious, but the other one I really had no idea. I suppose it was because I just could not believe it could have happened

that Hannah could have killed Robbie

. I shall have to find the notes. I can't remember anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

What a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was like watching a period drama every time I picked it up to read. Such a lot of detail and so well written.

It is an 'Upstairs Downstairs' saga (for those old enough to remember that one) narrated by Grace a lowly maid at Riverton.

Throughout I was trying to guess the ending and I was wrong! I though Grace might have killed Robbie. Fantastic irony in the shorthand note that Grace could not read. I thought that the story would explore the secret about Grace's father but it was left unfinished. A bit too well tidied up a the end.

It would definitely be a great film or TV drama with Judy Dench as Lady Clem and the other handsome chap of period dramas whose name I can't think of as Robbie. :welcome:

Happy to hear you enjoyed HappyandDandy. :welcome:

Sorry a.book.in.the.life that it was ruined for you, but I hope you still read it.

HappyandDandy,

I thought there would have been more about the relationship between Grace's Mum and Frederick, as you said, very tidied up indeed.

Yeah like in Star Wars, the young immpressionable one (me) gets turned to the dark side (led astray) by the naughty people (thats you lot encouraging me to buy new books !!!!!) - It was a joke :readingtwo: :readingtwo: I thought it was quite funny - Sorry.

No need to apologise - I'm sure that if I'd ever watched Star Wars I'd have found it funny! :blush: I'm one of the few who hasn't, so it went right over my head!

I thought that avenue might be explored more too, but at least Grace knew who she was even thought she never (as far as we know) got to know her sisters properly and explore their relationship. It was nice that she ended up with a relative at the end. I like to think that her and the grandson would have worked everything out after hearing the tape and she could have shared her experiences with him.

No need to apologise - I'm sure that if I'd ever watched Star Wars I'd have found it funny! :readingtwo: I'm one of the few who hasn't, so it went right over my head!

Oooo errrr, fancy never seeing Star Wars, I couldn't imagine life without Star Wars, it is my escape film! Any way back to books.......I have bought The House at Riverton and have been reading it all morning at work (boss is on holiday today!) Loving it so far :D Unfortunatley Waterstones have a special offer on and some books are 3 for 2 - so I bought 3 ;) See what I mean about Dark Side - how am I going to explain THAT to OH :blush::readingtwo::lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :(

I can't wait to see what she comes up with next - I hope it's as good!

ETA: The Forgotten Garden! To be published in paperback on 6 June 2008!

1913: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned after a gruelling ocean voyage from England to Australia. All she can remember of the journey is that a mysterious woman she calls The Authoress had promised to look after her. But The Authoress has vanished without trace. 1975: Now grown up, Nell travels to England to discover the truth about her parentage. Her quest leads her to Cornwall, and to a beautiful estate called Blackhurst Manor which had been owned by the Montrachet family.What had prompted Nell's journey after all these years? 1995: On Nell's death her grand-daughter, Cassandra, comes into a surprise inheritance. Cliff Cottage, in the grounds of Blackhurst Manor, is notorious amongst the locals for the secrets it holds - secrets about the doomed Montrachet family. But it is at Cliff Cottage, abandoned for years, and in its forgotten garden, that Casssandra will uncover the truth about the family and why little Nell was abandoned all those decades before.

• 2 months later...

:blush::exc:I finally found my notes after all this time. I knew OH had stolen them:mrgreen:. I actually found them a few weeks ago, but with Katie's ceiling falling in and everything.. He had taken my notebook upstairs with a pile of his paperwork and thrown it on his desk with heaps of other stuff, which we have recently started to sort out.

Anyway I shall try to decipher my notes:irked:. The first thing I have written is a question

How did hannah find out that Emmeline had died?

It was sad that Grace was never properly recognised as a family member. I know there was some slight recognition, but to not be a part of the family must of hurt. I wonder if that is why her daughter didn't like Riverton, because she saw it as a place she could have grown up?

Another question..

What was in the box that Hannah left?

I am glad Hannah showed sisterly love by shooting Robbie in the end.

Grace and Ursula were related. I would like to think she found out, but did she? Did Florence know who she was?

Robbie's character changed from rogue to lover, and Teddy went the opposite way, which was interesting.

Hannah and Emmeline were always different, and also went in opposite directions. Me and my sister are like that

Grace and Marcus were very lovable characters.

I liked the book very much. The shift between times served to bring the reader to the correct point of view, and, for me, did not disturb the flow. It was partly historical being set around the war, and also romantic. It showed the essence of family virtue, but mixed into a time where strict lines existed between classes and cultures. I think the point of the book is to make the reader think about these divides, and realise, not just the importance of family, but also that love between all human beings.

I hope this makes sense. It is a while since I read the book. I can't read some of my notes properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just finished this book and really enjoyed it. I couldnt put it down and found that it was one of those books that you have to keep reading to find out more!

I think it should have been called "The Curse of the Hartfords" as none of that family seemed to have any luck! Secrets were definately the main theme and eventually Hannah's down fall. I did find myself getting annoyed with Hannah and Emme as they didnt seem to appreciate what they had compared to a lot of people in that day and age. All they seemed to want to do was "escape" . I did guess that Grace was the daughter of Frederick and that Robbie hadnt shot himself but I thought it was Emme that killed himnot Hannah

• 3 months later...

The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

Synopsis on back of book

Summer 1924 On the eve of a glittering society party by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford will never speak to each other again.

Winter 1999 grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one time housemaid at Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories - long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind - begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.

Set as the war-shattered Edwadian summer surrenders to the decadent twenties, the House at Riverton is a thrilling mystery and a compelling love story.

Review

I think the synopsis is a tad misleading - probably on purpose;).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a spanking good read. A story cleverly woven taking the reader through the years after the first world war and giving a really great insight into society and the way each level of society viewed each other. It is an "upstairs/downstairs" story with the characters on both sides of the spectrum richly drawn. The two sisters are described in a way which illustrates their turmoil in the changes going on around them, particularly Hannah, who wants to break free from the old ideas. There is humour as well as drama in the story which flows along easily. Tension builds up in the last few pages and you are wondering what is going to happen. There are many puzzles and revelations which create surprises.

I liked the idea of Grace the maid looking back at the time she was lady's maid to Hannah and I felt great sympathy with her as she reveals the sacrifices she made and the dreadful tragic secret she has kept until the end of the 20th century.

A wonderful story, I would read again and again. I give it 10/10