The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Janet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Bagpuss, I enjoyed reading it, I have been hearing a lot about this book over the last few weeks, I think I know what I am buying tomorrow.

Thanks again x

I was drawn to this when I saw it but put it back - after reading this I shall pick it up again and read it. Thanks Bagpuss - it sounds a good read and another contender for Chunky Challenge.:(

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished this and loved it so much. It was actually a 10/10 book for me. Superbly written and plotted, and the characterisations were excellent. Spoilers here so don't read them unless you have read the book:

I liked the affair between Hannah and Robbie as it really brought her to life, and gave her the adventure she needed, and it was really true love.

I loved the fact that Alfred tracked down Grace in her 60s - that bit was where I started crying!

Also liked the fact that Ursula, the film-maker, was Florence's granddaughter (Hannah's child, probably by Robbie) and that she was becoming close to Grace's grandson, Marcus, which seemed to tie up the connections between Grace and the Hartfords.

Such a wonderful read. The author has a website if anybody is interested Kate Morton

PS Bagpuss, I LOVE your avatar!!!

Such a wonderful read. The author has a website if anybody is interested Kate Morton

PS Bagpuss, I LOVE your avatar!!!

Thanks for the link. I'm glad you enjoyed the book - I'm sure some people will be put off by the Richard and Judy connection, which is a shame as the book was great.

The avie is from the BBC LoM download section! :)

ETA: I see from her site that the book is being discussion on R&J this Wednesday, 18 July. I will have to try to remember to put it on - I don't normally watch this show.

For the first time, I am reading along with the R&J reads, and so I'm really looking forward to the discussion on Wednesday. Perhaps we should agree to report back when we've seen it?

Sounds like a good idea. I will try to remember to put it on! :lol:

They seem to be much better this year, I have just read How to Talk to a Widower and loved it.

I liked the sound of that one too and have it on my Amazon Wish List!

Ah-ha - it's a sign!

Must be. I actually dreamt that I had two book tokens in some kind of booklet/newsletter type thing. I spent ages looking round and then bought The House at Riverton. I saw the book clearly on all sides as I pickd it up. Even the blurb was visible. It was somewhat larger than I imagine it to be though, although it was the right thickness..

I shall have to keep a look out for it now!

Sounds like the start of Rebecca!

LOL - that's what I thought when I read that!!:lol:

Did anyone see Richard and Judy today - I ended up turning the sound down as I was afraid that there would be spoilers - Richard had just come very close!!!

I can't wait to read it - it wasn't in the library today - all have been issued to readers - but I've earmarked it for my August chunky so will be waiting until then to read it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...