Which book is this?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all do. :) Even though I know it won't help me. I' d remember if I read something set in ancient Rome. :P

I didn't know that it was going to be as tough as this, I thought that at least one person would have heard of them.

The clue is that it is the first book in a very long series :)

Another quote (i hope this helps) :

"The senate Decimus Camillas Verus lived in the Capena Gate Sector. The Capena Gate was the district next but one to mine, so I walked. On the way I passed my youngest sister Main and at least two little roughnecks off our family tree.

Some informers give the impression we are solitary men. Perhaps that was were I went wrong. Every time I was surreptitiously trailing some adulterous clerk in a shiny tunic, I looked up to find one of these midgets wiping his nose on his arm and bawling my name across the street. I was a hobbled donkey in Rome. I must have been related to most woolen between the Tiber and the Ardeatine Gate.

I've only read books by one author that were mystery books set in ancient Rome (ages ago, in Dutch). So I'm just going to go for blank here and ask, is it a book by Steven Saylor?

Nope the series is written by a female British author :)

Some of the many people who bought her books and made them best sellers?

If you want I can choose another book more people may have read?

Edited by Vimes

I'm going to guess based on some discussions I've heard, and it's the only female I can think of who writes about the Roman era … is it The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff?

No I am sorry it is not.

I think I may have chosen a book that no-on has heard of ( Silver Pigs the first book in the Falco series by Lindsey Davis ), so I am putting another quote out there, everyone should know the Arthur and it is a classic :)

The new quote :D

" She found, what has been sometimes found before, that an event to which she had looked forward with impatient desire, did not, in taking place, bring all the satisfaction she had promised herself. It was consequently necessary to name some other period for the commencement of actual felicity; to have some other point on which her wishes and hopes might be fixed, and by again enjoying the pleasure of anticipation, console herself for the present, and prepare for another disappointment."

Edited by Vimes

Some of the many people who bought her books and made them best sellers?

I meant any particular person on here? ;)

If you know right from the get go that nobody's probably going to know the book you're wanting to quote, it's perhaps better to choose a book you know more people might know of.

Edited by frankie

I think I may have choose a book that no-on has heard of ( Silver Pigs the first book in the Falco series by Lindsey Davis ), so I am putting another quote out there, everyone should know the Arthur and it is a classic :)

" She found, what has been sometimes found before, that an event to which she had looked forward with impatient desire, did not, in taking place, bring all the satisfaction she had promised herself. It was consequently necessary to name some other period for the commencement of actual felicity; to have some other point on which her wishes and hopes might be fixed, and by again enjoying the pleasure of anticipation, console herself for the present, and prepare for another disappointment."

I meant any particular person on here? ;)

If you know right from the get go that nobody's probably going to know the book you're wanting to quote, it's perhaps better to choose a book you know more people might know of.

As I said in an ever post I did think that it might be a tough one as I hadn't seen anyone mentioning the books before (besides me) but I didn't think it was going to be impossible, just because no-one has mentioned the books doesn't mean that no-one has ever read them. I don't think that was an unreasonable thought. As I said in my quoted post (above) I had chosen a bad quote (and I am very sorry for that) and I have now changed it to something that everyone should know.

Well I did post a new quote, so I guess we just start from the beginning?

NEW QUOTE

"She found, what has been

sometimes found before, that an

event to which she had looked

forward with impatient desire, did

not, in taking place, bring all the

satisfaction she had promised

herself. It was consequently

necessary to name some other

period for the commencement of

actual felicity; to have some

other point on which her wishes

and hopes might be fixed, and by

again enjoying the pleasure of

anticipation, console herself for

the present, and prepare for

another disappointment."

As I said in my quoted post (above) I had chosen a bad quote (and I am very sorry for that) and I have now changed it to something that everyone should know.

No need to be sorry, Vimes, it was just one of those things. There are SO many books out there, it's amazing that any of us have read the same ones! :D

The new quote, I think, is Pride and Prejudice?

No need to be sorry, Vimes, it was just one of those things. There are SO many books out there, it's amazing that any of us have read the same ones! :D

The new quote, I think, is Pride and Prejudice?

1. Yes it is Pride and Prejudice, congratulations! :D

2. Thank you for understanding, it is hard trying to choose a quote that is a fun challenge while trying not to do what I did and that is choose a book that no-one knew :)

No, of course not, Janet - I was glad of the reminder! :D

Here's the next quote:

There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.  The knife had a handle of polished black bone, and a blade finer and sharper than any razor.  If it sliced you, you might not even know you had been cut, not immediately.