Which book is this?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay :D

Hm it's more difficult to pick a book to quote than I thought...

They lunched slowly and meditatively, with mute intervals between rushes of talk; for, the spell once broken, they had much to say, and yet moments when saying became the accompaniment to long duologues of silence. Archer kept the talk from his own affairs, not with conscious intention but because he did not want to miss a word of her history; and leaning on the table, her chin resting on her clasped hands, she talked to him of the year and a half since they had met.

She had grown tired of what people called "society"; New York was kind, it was almost oppressively hospitable; she should never forget the way in which it had welcomed her back; but after the first flush of novelty she  had found herself, as she phrased it, too "different" to care for the things it cared about - and so she had decided to try Washington, where one was supposed to meet more varieties of people and of opinion. And on the whole she should probably settle down in Washington, and make a home there for poor Medora, who had worn out the patience of all her other relations just at the time when she most needed looking after and protecting from matrimonial perils.

ok so my quote is...........

'that was not the reason' he looks up. 'May I speak?' 'Oh for God's sake, 'Henry cries 'I wish someone would.'

He is startled. Then he understands. Henry wants a conversation, on any topic. One that's nothing to do with love, or hunting, or war. Now that ********** is gone there's not much scope for it;unless you want to talk to a priest of some stripe.And if you send for a priest, what does it come back to? To love; to A***;to what you want and can't have.

Whether by luck or accident I cannot say, but I found my way to the library a full twenty minutes earlier than I had been commanded to attend. It was not a problem. What better place to kill time than a library? And for me, what better way to get to know someone than through their choice and treatment of books?

My first impression was of the room as a whole, and it struck me by its marked difference from the rest of the house. The other rooms were thick with the corpses of suffocated words: here in the library you could breathe. Instead of the fabric, it was a room made of wood. There were floorboards underfoot, shutters at the tall windows, and the walls were lined with solid oak shelves.

Ok here goes..

I jumped every time I heard a siren. It might have been an ambulance off in the distance or a police chase on television - it didn't matter.

Part of me was always braced for TRay or Mr **** ****** to drive up and end my charmed life. We had been at ******'s house eight whole days.

I didn't know how long black Mary could keep the curtain drawn.

You might need a clue for this but I'm sure someone will know it!

Edited by chaliepud

Ooh you've removed the names Hayley ... clever :D

I don't think I have read it .. it's not ringing bells  :shrug: 

Well, it is in your 'books read' list on Goodreads? I know it's a book that has been read by many on here. I'll add a name if anyone wants a small clue..

Oooh, this is tricky, I love this game :D I have no idea if I've read the book, but it sounds like a book I might read, so I might have read it... But I'm getting no ideas.

I don't know why but I was getting a Sookie Stackhouse feeling, but I don't think that's it, but I'm wondering if this is paranormal fantasy, or 'just' a normal thriller.... Does anyone else have any ideas? 8 days inside, in hiding... Who's done that?

(And no, personally I don't want any clues yet, I wanna see if others have any ideas. But if someone else wants a new clue, then by all means! :))