Which book is this?

I started this game years ago on this forum, but it didn't take on and I think the thread is lost now, what with all the upgrades and stuff. So I thought I'd start this again and see if this time more people would want to play! :)

It's quite simple: I present you with a quote from some book and you will try and guess which book it is (no googling, there's no challenge in that). Whoever comes up with the right answer first gets to present the next quote of the book of their choosing.

Should no one guess correctly, I would either present another quote from the same book, an easier one, or I could perhaps give a clue/clues as to who the author might be / what book is in question.

Note that you can also choose to mark names of people and/or places with ***** or xxxx and yyyyyy, if they are dead giveaways and it would be too easy.

Also: bear in mind that these quotes might contains spoilers of books you want to read but haven't read yet. Although I don't recommend that anyone choose the most spoiler-worthy quotes from their chosen books.

I will start:

'What is?' he asked. 'Am I being sent away?'

'No, not just you,' she said, looking as if she might smile for a moment but thinking better of it. 'We all are. Your father and I, Gretel and you. All four of us.'

Bruno thought about this and frowned. He wasn't particularly bothered if Gretel was being sent away because she was a Hopeless Case and caused nothing but trouble for him. But it seemed a little unfair that they all had to go with her.

'But where?' he asked. 'Where are we going exactly? Why can't we stay here?'

'Your father's job,' explained Mother. 'You know how important it is, don't you?'

'Yes, of course,' said Bruno, nodding his head, because there were always so many visitors to the house - men in fantastic uniforms, women with typewriters that he had to keep his mucky hands off - and they were always very polite to Father and told each other that he was a man to watch and that the Fury had big things in mind for him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*****: I am standing across the street from the Art Institute of Chicago on a sunny June day in 1973 in the company of my nine-year-old self. He is traveling from next Wednesday; I have come from 1990. We have a long afternoon and evening to frivol as we will, and so have come to one of the great art museums of the world for a little lesson in pickpocketing.

Anyone?

I was right?!?! Really?! Oh ok umm... Ok here is the quote

"He turned down a narrow side' street clotted with shadow and heard the scurry of feet somewhere in the rainy dark ahead of him. His ears caught a quick, whispered conversation in the deep shadows somewhere to his left.

The roan snorted and laid his ears back.

'its nothing to get excited about,' ******** told him.

The big man's voice was very soft, almost a husky whisper. It was the kind if voice people turned to hear.

Then he spoke more loudly, addressing the pair of hoods lurking in the shadows,"

Edited by Vimes

I'm going with a wild guess and will say A Game of Thrones :D

Edit: I think in general one can definitely wait at least one or two days before adding a new quote or giving a clue :)  That gives people more time to think about it, and that gives more people the chance to come on here and see there's a new book to identify :)

Edited by frankie

I'm embarrased I didn't even have a clue of chaliepud's book, which I love :blush:. I don't think I'm very good at this game. I don't think it's A Game of Thrones, because I've read that one and don't recognise the quote, but that doesn't mean much I guess.. seeing as I didn't recognise chaliepud's book either (maybe it's because I've only read them once? I should definitely re-read them though, at some point at least). I do think it's a fantasy book, it sounds that way, but which one.. I'm going to guess a Wheel of Time book, for example Eye of the World. Simply because it's the only other fantasy series I've read that is more detailed in relation to horses, other than the A Song of Ice and Fire series (where A Game of Thrones is from).

EDIT: It could be A Game of Thrones.. hmm..

Edited by Athena

You got it poppyshake! Congratulations!

:D :D :D

Yay!!

Okay .. I'll try not to be predictable :D

'There was once a statue of Father Thames at the Mead, now transported to the more reliably wet stretch of the river at Lechlade, which showed a muscular old man with a William Blake beard reclining on his plinth with a shovel over his shoulder, crates and bundles arranged at his feet — the fruits of industry and trade. Even I can spot a bit of Empire spin when I see it, so I didn’t really expect him to look like that but I think I was still hoping for something grander than the man at the fence.'

I like this quote as I used to live in Lechlade and am very fond of that statue :D

post-5612-0-68299000-1381940346_thumb.jpg

Yes :D .. of course :clapping: 

ooh I know ... Gardens of the Moon? :D

:lol:  Nah, that'd be waaaaay too predictable  :D

Shivers heaved out a sigh. “Just trying to make tomorrow that bit better than today is all. I’m one of those … you’ve got a word for it, don’t you?”

“Idiots?”

He looked sideways at her. “It was a different one I had in mind.”

“Optimists.”

“That’s the one. I’m an optimist.”

“How’s it working out for you?”

“Not great, but I keep hoping.”

“That’s optimists. You never learn.”