Wine

muggle not

Don't know if there are any/many members interested in Wine but I thought I would start a thread and find out. :)

Just this week I received my copy of the annual Calvert-Woodley Wine sale. C-W is a premier wine store located in Washington, DC where I buy many wines. I tried to upload the Catalog but it was too large in size.

I don't like wine myself but my parents have some wine in the basement. I don't know much about it I'm afraid, but just wanted to chime in and add to your at the moment lonely topic. My dad is often gifted wine, after he's given a talk or helped with something (he does these things even when he doesn't need to for his job. He works really hard and helps a lot of people). On occasion my grandparents bring my parents some wine, not so much these days but they used to when they still travelled a lot to France. My parents also buy some wine. The past few months they're drinking more white wine than red (usually prosecco), though all the years before then they drank much more red wine than white. As I said, I don't know a lot about it but they seem to enjoy the wines that they drink so that's nice. We have a wine rack in the basement for all the red wines, and a smaller wine rack for the whites (which are now often on the floor just in front of it since there isn't enough space on the small rack). My parents sometimes also drink other types of alcohol, ie. beer or liquor. We've had, or still have, some special wine that was brewed here locally, from the grapes that we have in our garden, the wine was made before we moved here, by the previous owners of the house.

I love wine, Muggle!  I'm not by any means an expert, however.  I mostly drink Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling because I like my wine slightly sweet.  I can drink dry white wines and any kind of red but only with paired food.  I'm weird, but those types of wine taste really good to me with food but I can't stomach them alone. 

I drink a lot of Kim Crawford but I'm totally open to recommations on other types :D.

I'm a red wine gal myself. I'm no expert or anything (I tend to just buy whatever's on offer in the supermarket) but at the moment I've been drinking Shiraz, which is very nice. 

I can't stand drinking white or rose wine, though - bleh! :giggle2:

I'm another red wine gal, and it must be something about my Dad's Scottish gene pool, as I never,ever buy wine unless it's on a very good offer in the supermarket :D

Shiraz, Merlot and Cab Sauv are my preferred grape varieties. I'm certainly not a wine snob or expert, I just drink wines that I enjoy. And at a bargain price of below £10 per bottle.

Most of the wine I drink come from the Southern Hemisphere, as I find the wines more mellow. :smile:

I do like a rose or a nice Aussie Chardonnay, on a hot summer day, with food. Sadly that will be a lot time away...

Don't know if there are any/many members interested in Wine but I thought I would start a thread and find out. :)

Just this week I received my copy of the annual Calvert-Woodley Wine sale. C-W is a premier wine store located in Washington, DC where I buy many wines. I tried to upload the Catalog but it was too large in size.

I am attaching the website for Calvert-Woodley that features their fall wine sale. All you need to do is download their catalog to your desktop. i'm not pushing CW but the catalog has some good info. http://www.calvertwoodley.com/newsletters/2013/10/11/Our-Fall-Wine-Sale-Has-Begun-n62644933u

I'm far from being very knowledgeable about wine, except to know that I like it, especially with meals. For me, a dinner without wine is an incomplete meal.:)

Those that like a somewhat sweet white wine, I wish you would try an Italian Moscato....I will make a few recommendations in another post.

I agree with you muggle not, a good meal is not quite right without wine. :smile:

But I find that I like to have a slurp or two of my wine before eating, especially when I'm doing the cooking :D. I have "issues" with many recommendations of food with the wine, on the label. It might be my palate, but quite often I find the wine is better either before or after the meal, not with it.

I've only tried one Moscato, Muggle, and that was Barefoot from what I think is Argentina?  I really disliked it though because it was just too sweet.  Is the Italian Moscato better?  Not as sweet?

Moscato is a sweet wine but the Italians that I have tried were not overly sweet. Not for meals though. :)

Another white I like for just sipping is the Vinho Verde from Portugal.

I also like the Albarino whites from Spain which can be drunk with meals.

I'm like you Peacefield, I like my wine rather sweet so generally only drink Riesling of Pinot Gris. I don't like reds or sparkling wines very much although your Moscato sounds nice Muggles and I'm going to try to get a bottle :)

Edited by poppy

There are two Italian Moscato's that I really like. This is one of them. I hope it isn't too sweet for some of you. I like it really well.

Villa Lanata Moscato d'Asti

Average Overall Rating 4.8 / 5

100% 4 out of 4 reviewers would recommend this product.

Sweet, Floral, Fresh, Medium-bodied

Asti, Piedmont, Italy- A delightfully fresh and spritzy wine,
sweetly scented with spring flowers, and gushing with white peach and lemon
flavors. This low alcohol beauty is the perfect selection for Sunday brunch,
wedding toasts, or with light desserts.

Tonight I am having some Castillo de Monseran, a Garnacha from Spain with a bison steak for dinner.

Edited by muggle not

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to necro this thread but I also love red wine.   A nice crisp white is good for a hot summer's day but I mostly drink red.  Often Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon.  I like it full-bodied and fruity.  

A nice Rioja from Spain is also very good drinking. We also enjoy the reds, especially with pastas (red sauce) and I like it with beef (wife doesn't eat beef). We like the whites though with seafood.

I tend to drink wine after food, for some reason.    Probably because I'm vegetarian and there are no recommendations for that!  LOL!

I do like a Rioja though.  But I find they have to be slightly more expensive than a lot of other grapes.  Cheap Rioja is not often very nice.

My favorite Rioja's are the La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva "904" and the La Rioja Alta Reserva "Vina Ardanza". I currently have 13 bottles of the aforementioned from 3 vintages.....1998, 2001, and 2004.

What Countries do you like for the Merlot.

I know next to mothing about wine other than I like it / don't like it. As such, my choice tends to be whatever is on offer at the supermarket. I'll drink both any type of red, and gravitate towards dry whites. I do have a fondness for Pinot Grigio.

My favorite Rioja's are the La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva "904" and the La Rioja Alta Reserva "Vina Ardanza". I currently have 13 bottles of the aforementioned from 3 vintages.....1998, 2001, and 2004.

What Countries do you like for the Merlot.

I just opened a Merlot I haven't tried before.  It's from the Zilzi vineyard in Aus and its a 2013.  It's very nice for the price!  

Edited by mirandashell

• 3 years later...
On 13/10/2013 at 11:04 PM, muggle not said:

I had a wine society at university time. My favourite wines are full bodies, aromatic from warmer climate. I would say Spanish Rioja is my number one choice.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, KevinMcCabe said:

I had a wine society at university time. My favourite wines are full bodies, aromatic from warmer climate. I would say Spanish Rioja is my number one choice.

The 2005 vintage La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza is simply one of the best wines I have had. I only have 1 bottle of that vintage left. :(

I also recently purchased 7 bottles of the 2009 vintage La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 wine and 9 bottles of the 2009 vintage La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza but have not opened any of them yet although I am anxious to try them as I have high hopes.

• 1 year later...

I'm usually driving so don't get much chance, I'm not a massive fan but a nice cold glass of Prosecco goes down well on a warm day, even better if it's in Italy....