If you wrote a book, what would it be about?

ian

I love the idea about the office lottery syndicate!

I both love and hate writing, sometimes ideas and well-written passages just pour out, other times I can barely compose a factual sentence.

If I ever write a book, it will be about identity. I have two partially written short novels from NaNoWriMo, about 25k and 60k words respectively, and each features a main character in some sense learning about an alien or inhuman side of themselves which initially scares or repulses them, but which they either come to accept, or understand their prejudices were wrong about. One was YA steampunk, the other YA fantasy. Not original concepts, but the idea was to write compelling characters rather than an original plot.

Writing is very much a form of art and as such it is hard work and years of practice with very little reward, then suddenly one day you write of paint something that is perfect and all the years of effort is suddenly worth it.

• 1 month later...

I am that way at least, I read a book and think that paragraph could be something and then sit and think up whole books about that idea or a sit and rewrite the book in my head because I don't like were the story is going! :)

I think that your first idea with the lottery could be fun to read if you thought up some really crazy things for them to do.

One idea that I had was for a wizard in training to suddenly inherit a kingdom from a very long lost uncle only to find out that it has a few problems with it, mainly the huge dragon that had taken over the castle and the odd creatures that were running around stealing plates.

I like your idea of a young wizard inheriting a kingdom, sounds like a fun read. I'm a fantasy fan myself which is probably why it appeals to me so much. It'd be nice to have some more humour in the genre rather than the typical good vs evil archetype.Your idea reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (love the username btw ;) ).

Writing is very much a form of art and as such it is hard work and years of practice with very little reward, then suddenly one day you write of paint something that is perfect and all the years of effort is suddenly worth it.

I have to remind myself of this often. I used to have an English teacher back in school who published a book and won many awards for it. At the time I wanted to be just like her, but what I didn't see was the years of work that went on behind her success, all the competitions she entered and the hours of work she put into her craft everyday.

I've decided that my aim isn't to be published, but just to write everyday. I've found it reveals so much about your mind and how your thoughts come together, not to mention the improvements you notice as you keep writing.

I like your idea of a young wizard inheriting a kingdom, sounds like a fun read. I'm a fantasy fan myself which is probably why it appeals to me so much. It'd be nice to have some more humour in the genre rather than the typical good vs evil archetype.Your idea reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (love the username btw ;) ).

LOL I to am a fan of fantasy and have also noticed, not so much a lack of humor in fantasy, but more of a limited amount of people who write fantasy with humor. I am glad that you liked my idea, I had just finished reading a Discworld book and had just started a Xanth novel when I thought of it so that might be why it feels a bit Discworldy :) . Vimes is a favorite character from Discworld as you may have noticed lol.

I have to remind myself of this often. I used to have an English teacher back in school who published a book and won many awards for it. At the time I wanted to be just like her, but what I didn't see was the years of work that went on behind her success, all the competitions she entered and the hours of work she put into her craft everyday.

I've decided that my aim isn't to be published, but just to write everyday. I've found it reveals so much about your mind and how your thoughts come together, not to mention the improvements you notice as you keep writing.

I read an article about writing and they suggested you should write about 750 words a day, they said that it didn't matter what you wrote, what mattered was the fact that you were writing and thinking about what to write. They said that it helped with ideas and improved the amount you were able to write in a day as well as improve your writing. I thought that it was interesting idea and started to write everyday but other things got in the way :)

P.S I noticed that you are readind a book by Haruki Murakami and was wondering if you had read A Wild Sheep Chase? It was the first book of his that I have read and I injoyed it and want to read some of his other books but haven't been able to find any :P lol

Edited by Vimes

LOL I to am a fan of fantasy and have also noticed, not so much a lack of humor in fantasy, but more of a limited amount of people who write fantasy with humor. I am glad that you liked my idea, I had just finished reading a Discworld book and had just started a Xanth novel when I thought of it so that might be why it feels a bit Discworldy :) . Vimes is a favorite character from Discworld as you may have noticed lol.

I read an article about writing and they suggested you should write about 750 words a day, they said that it didn't matter what you wrote, what mattered was the fact that you were writing and thinking about what to write. They said that it helped with ideas and improved the amount you were able to write in a day as well as improve your writing. I thought that it was interesting idea and started to write everyday but other things got in the way :)

P.S I noticed that you are readind a book by Haruki Murakami and was wondering if you had read A Wild Sheep Chase? It was the first book of his that I have read and I injoyed it and want to read some of his other books but haven't been able to find any :P lol

1Q84 is the first book of Haruki's that I'm reading, mainly because it seems to be such a popular novel. Although I've been told Norwegian Wood is a better book to begin with if you haven't read his books before, since 1Q84 is pretty long. Despite only being 100 pages in, I'm enjoying it - I think he writes very well and there are some beautiful sentences in his chapters.

Anyway, I forgot to say what I would write about if I wrote a book.. I think I'd probably write a fictional book about mental illness - maybe from the point of view of the person suffering from it, but you don't realise they're ill because you're seeing everything through their perspective. I think I'd start off with a short story though.

I'd also like to write a nonfiction book about healthcare, particularly mental health - things like how people view the mental health services, differences between physical and mental health, and the way medicine is changing as more patient-centered. I also think the placebo effect is very interesting, and the argument on how it can be used to benefit patients, what with deception being a big issue.

I have a lot of ideas being thrown around my head, so I think I'd probably just write some blog posts to begin with, to try and find my voice. :)

Edited by Angury

I am writing one. It's about a child who has the power to make things happen by acting them out with toys- although he doesn't know he has this power. Some people find out about his power and try to manipulate it for their own means. My main problem with it though is I'm not sure how to finish it.

Blogging is one way to find your style of writing, but I would keep in mind not to say anything that could bite you if you ever become a famous writer :).