How to encourage sister to read?

Katarzyna

Hi,

I want to encourage my little sister (12 years old) to read the books. She watches a lot of television, especially the Disney Channel but I think that she should have also another, better hobby. At the beginning I’m looking for books that develop her imagination. Can you recommend me any interesting books??
Thanks for all yours suggestion ;)

What about books that the Disney films/stuff is based on?  That might peak her curiosity.

Now, I didn't have children, but let me throw this out there. :)  Sometimes the more you push, the more they resist.  Example is the best teacher, plus leaving things about such as what I mentioned above.

Good luck! :)

Maybe the Famous Five books? They are from quiet a few years ago but are fun and filled with adventures, I loved them.

Or maybe the Chronicles of Narnia books? They are also a lot of fun to read.

Edited by Vimes

• 4 weeks later...

You can try with ˝13 Little Blue Envelopes˝ and ˝The Travelling Pants of the Sisterhood˝ and if she starts to like reading, I suggest Ivan Kušan. His books are different from these but are amusing and adventurous. If she likes princesses you could try with Princess Diaries. 

What about books that the Disney films/stuff is based on?  That might peak her curiosity.

Now, I didn't have children, but let me throw this out there. :)  Sometimes the more you push, the more they resist.  Example is the best teacher, plus leaving things about such as what I mentioned above.

Good luck! :)

I agree with this.  I have two kids, both of whom used to love to read, but now hate it. I know if I push them to read they won't.  

I also agree with whoever said books based on her TV shows.  Maybe leave them lying around rather than saying 'here read this' for example.