Has anyone read...?

Janet

doctor who- i've read most of stephen king's books and out of all of them my favorite is the stand- it's long but its so well written i think you'll enjoy it- carm

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with carm...The Stand is my favorite Stephen King ever. Here's others that I've read that I really enjoyed:

Needful Things

Dreamcatcher

The Talisman

The Dark Half

Rose Madder

Pet Cemetery

DWMG - Yes, Stephen King is a very diverse writer with, I believe, something for everyone. My own favourites of his are:

The Stand

Different Seasons (four novellas in one book - all excellent)

Carrie

Gerald's Game

Misery

Dolores Claiborne

The Dark Half (originally published under the name of Richard Bachman)

The Shining

Each of them has something different about it, and most of them are not strictly horror, which might surprise some people who may have pigeon-holed him as a genre writer!

has anyone read swimming pool sunday by Madeleine Wickham. I just started to read it and i'm finding it a bit slow at the mo.

Does it get better through out the story or worse?

I read it a few years ago. I remember it being a bit slow too and I can't really remember the storyline, which I guess speaks volumes. Sorry!

There are a few titles on my TBR list that I'm curious about, if anyone can give me some insight.

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

I'm a bit late with a response here, but the above is the only one on that list that I've read. I did enjoy it quite a lot, but it was difficult to get into for me...but once I did I was very glad I'd finished. To me it was one of those books you just have to allow to wash over yourself and not try to analyze too much until the reread, or at least not till the last part.

I didn't fully appreciate the characters until I'd finished and gone back and at least spot reread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I haven't read that exact Angela Carter, but I've read The Magic Toyshop, and The Bloody Chamber is next on my list. Her books are really interesting, and I read The Magic Toyshop in about two days. Definitely try it out! I believe that The Bloody Chamber is a re-telling of some traditional fairy tales.

I haven't read any of your other choices, but I've heard really good things about Colette.

I hope that helps!

I loved The Bloody Chamber and The Magic TOyshop i now have Wise Children and Nights at the circus to read too

• 2 weeks later...

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

I enjoyed this, but I know a lot of people who didn't. Yes, it was a bit far-fetched, but it's just a work of fiction :D Slightly tedious in the middle.

I picked up The Little Friend

I gave this away on bookcrossing as the cover photo was freaking me out!

Has anyone read 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire?

Daughter keen to read as we have seen the show (see how desperate I am to get her reading). Reviews on Amazon mixed saying that story is quite different and difficult to get into.

Many thanks

:)

How old is your daughter? It's not a book for children. The show is a very family friendly sugar coated version of the book. So yes, it is very different and for that reason a lot of people don't like it, because they are expecting a book of the show. I personally love both the show and the book - but as a story the book is FAR better. Gregory Maguire says that the show is inspired by his book in the same way that his book was inspired by Baum.

(About The Little Friend by Donna Tart) Oh, the picture of the doll? Yus, I have to agree - it is a bit freaky looking. :)

On Amazon (UK) the cover photo is of a child on a swing!

ETA: Oh, I've just seen the cover you mean - yuk! The swing one is not at all freaky!

Has anyone read Huckleberry Finn? I've just started it as it's part of our English course, but I'm struggling to get into it.

How old is your daughter? It's not a book for children. The show is a very family friendly sugar coated version of the book. So yes, it is very different and for that reason a lot of people don't like it, because they are expecting a book of the show. I personally love both the show and the book - but as a story the book is FAR better. Gregory Maguire says that the show is inspired by his book in the same way that his book was inspired by Baum.

She is 12 years old WF and she finished the book a while ago now, enjoyed it and has now moved on to 'Son of a Witch'. She was inspired to read it because of the show and as it can be diffficult at time to encourage her to read she does appear to like this genre. :)

• 1 month later...

I've not read The Running Man, bnut it's the basis for the film of the same name starring Arnie Schwarzennegger - pretty decent film, but from what i've heard, nowhere near as good as the book (as per usual!).

The Running Man (the book) is very good and gets much more into the emotions and motivations of the characters. I really enjoyed it. The film is pretty rubbish in comparison, so don't let that put you off!