Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to read The Inheritance of Loss, but lost interest about half way through. I think Louis de Berniere is a superior story teller and could not put down Birds Without Wings

Has anyone read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? I've heard its fabulous but am yet to buy it.

There's certainly been some discussion on here. I remember posting about it at the time I first joined the Forum which, at a guess, would have been around three years ago. Probably archived now.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a very good read - the story of a man's mental health unravelling, but not as bleak as it sounds. There's a fair bit of humour, albeit mostly quite dark. I'd never have thought of buying it for myself, but I was on holiday and out of books, and someone had left it at the hotel. Turned out to be well worth while - I'd give it a go if I were you.

Edited by Roland Butter

Thank you Roland :)

Sounds good - dark, humour, dealing with mental health...I think I'm going to like it.

EDIT : haha, thanks Chrissyˇˇ I was looking through the Fiction part of the Forum, but I guess I gave up the search too soon :D

Edited by Brida

Has anyone read A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon?

I bought it recently and am thinking of reading it next...

I found it a little depressing myself, rather than the comedy it was meant to be. But I still thought it was good.

Has anyone read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? I've heard its fabulous but am yet to buy it.

yeah see, I got this as a gift, loved the series, but just only got about halfway and never finished the book. Everyone says they love it, but for me, it's not that amazing. I will finish it one day or another, but as of yet, I can't be bothered.

Has anyone read A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon?

I bought it recently and am thinking of reading it next...

Brida, I've read the novel and I really enjoyed it. Unlike Lucybird, for example, I thought it was totally hilarious at times. I would definitely recommend it, unless you dislike a bit of dark humour here and there :wink:

has anyone read A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks (his latest). I bought it at the weekend and hope to start it soon. It has mixed reviews on Amazon and I must say that after Birdsong (great) Charlotte Grey (OK ish) and The Girl at the Lion d'Or (my favourite of the trilogy) I have mixed feelings over Faulks.

Interested in your views though.

I bought A Week in December at the weekend too, because you could get it for only £4.49 if you spent more than £10 in Waterstone's, and since I was buying maps, I just had to take them up on their offer as to walk out of a bookshop having spent money but with no books to show for it would just be wrong. I've only read a couple of his so far, but I thought they were excellent, so I have high hopes for it!

has anyone read A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks (his latest). I bought it at the weekend and hope to start it soon. It has mixed reviews on Amazon and I must say that after Birdsong (great) Charlotte Grey (OK ish) and The Girl at the Lion d'Or (my favourite of the trilogy) I have mixed feelings over Faulks.

It's on my TBR list. I've generally enjoyed Faulks but I'll be interested to see what you think if you get to it before me

Has anybody read Ozzy Osbournes problem page in the Sunday times? People who write in, ask medical/personal questions which he trys to answer. It has a picture of him in a white coat with a box of pills and a syringe full of something or other. At first I thought it was hazardous to have him answering those types of questions(some of his replies are a bit .. erm..bonkers and funny) but to be fair, if the topic is quite serious he tells the reader to consult their doctor.

Edited by Eliza1

I loved Birdsong & totally fell in love with Stephen, I have Charlotte Gray & Engleby on my TBR pile & was hoping they'd be just as good. Let us know what you think of A Week in December.

• 2 weeks later...

Not read A Week In December so will be interested to hear your opinion - I loved Birdsong, Lion D'Or and Human Traces is my favourite read of all time but one a lot of people don't seem to want to read, I'm not sure why, would love to get other peoples views on it. Tried three times to read Charlotte Gray and never got further than half way, Engleby didn't grab me either. No other author has managed to blow so hot and cold for me...