Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read The Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden (epics on Genghis Khan). They are quite big books so thought I would ask you good people first to see if they were recommended.:)

I haven't read the Ghengis Khan series, but I have read other books by Conn Iggulden, and I would recommend him as his books seem well researched, but are also a great read. He did a Roman series, can't remember the name, but they had me running to the library for the next book.

have just found some books that I didn't know are in possession of my family

Lord of the Flies- William Golding ( apparently a modern classic as it is described on the cover)

The Crucible- Arthur Miller

An Inspector Calls- J.B. Priestley

The Warden- Anthony Trollope

I also found a book (Oxford bookworms collection) with the title from the cradle to the grave

it's a book about short stories by different authors as it seems

I don't know whether they are known or not,but I'd like to hear your opinion if anyone read one of those :)

Edited by Janet
Added capitals to author names and book titles

have just found some books that I didn't know are in possession of my family

Lord of the Flies- William Golding ( apparently a modern classic as it is described on the cover)

The Crucible- Arthur Miller

An Inspector Calls- J.B. Priestley

The Warden- Anthony Trollope

I also found a book (Oxford bookworms collection) with the title from the cradle to the grave

it's a book about short stories by different authors as it seems

I don't know whether they are known or not,but I'd like to hear your opinion if anyone read one of those :)

I've read all of these!

Lord of the Flies: A very readable classic. An essential read for anyone.

The Crucible and An Inspector Calls. Both plays rather than books so better to watch them ideally (not that this is always possible!) I particulary like An Inspector Calls which is a thriller with a political edge.

The Warden: Just re-read this. The first of the Barchester Chronicles. I really like it.

A good find! Enjoy them.

Has anyone read anything by Emma Donoghue? She seems to write somewhat historical fiction, ranging from the 1700's to late 1800's particularly, but with earlier and possibly some later settings, usually somewhat inspired by political/social scandals/events of varying natures. Apparently she also has a book of re-written Grimms' fairytales, which would suit me down to the ground! Just saw her newest book, Room, on a review show tonight. Definitely going to be checking her out.

Anyone know her work? She gets fantastic reviews on Amazon.

I have read it, but I haven't read I Capture The Castle, so I can say whether it will live up to it. It's a light easy read, sort of coming of age story set in the 50s, with a couple of female main characters. It's been a few years since I've read it, but I liked it a lot, a good fun read and evoked the period quite well.

I have read it, but I haven't read I Capture The Castle, so I can say whether it will live up to it. It's a light easy read, sort of coming of age story set in the 50s, with a couple of female main characters. It's been a few years since I've read it, but I liked it a lot, a good fun read and evoked the period quite well.

It's at the library and I'm planning on going there today. Maybe I will give it a try. Thanks.

Is Emma donoghue the author of Room, the book about a woman held captive, from the perspective of her 5 year old son who was born there and doesn't know any different? That's on my the list.

Has anyone read this one? Nici and I both looked at it in Waterstones the other day.

Has any one read The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice? It's supposed to be similar to I Capture the Castle, which I love, but I don't want to be too disappointed.

I've read it and I thought it was a lovely read. It wasn't as twee as I thought it was going to be.

Has anyone read this one? Nici and I both looked at it in Waterstones the other day.

I bought it today and am reading it. I wanted one of her other ones by my local Waterstones is mean and only stocks the most recent one or two books by any given author. I'll let you know what I think of it. :lol: