Has anyone read...?

Janet

MY friend was just telling me about these books, and how funny they are..

Are you There Vodka? Its me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

Any input here? :D

Haven't read any of those but I'm a HUGE Chelsea fan. After I finish my current read I'm going to start her book, Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang.

She has a show on E that starts about 11pm your time, if you enjoy that you'll probably really enjoy her books :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Brust's Khaavren Romances/Vlad Taltos books? I've just picked up The Phoenix Guards (first in the KR) because reviews had said that it & its sequels could be read as a series in their own right. I thought all would be clear but well, so far it isn't :D which annoys me because it's written in such a gorgeous, funny way and I really want to get stuck into it. Any chance of my understanding of Dragaera improving in the near future or do I need to read the Taltos books before the prequels?

T

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

I've never read such a tedious book....too long, too elaborate, too "I want to write the best book about Dracula and vampires ever written".

She should have either done an academic essay or a novel.... and she did both in one long uninteresting book.

People should stick to the brilliant DRACULA by Stoker.

Has anyone read The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl?

I read that one when it got out and I still have mixed feelings about it. Now would I advise it to someone?.... I don't think I'd go that far, unless that person had nothing to read on the train.

Edited by Michelle
merged

Has anyone read Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese? There is something about this book that intrigues me (maybe it's that one of my favorite authors, John Irving, gave it a positive review), but I am hesitant because I have seen quite a few mature negative reviews on amazon.

Has anyone read Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese? There is something about this book that intrigues me (maybe it's that one of my favorite authors, John Irving, gave it a positive review), but I am hesitant because I have seen quite a few mature negative reviews on amazon.

I've not read it but it is on my TBR pile:) If you read it before me i'd be interested to hear what you think of it though.

I've not read it but it is on my TBR pile:) If you read it before me i'd be interested to hear what you think of it though.

You may get to it before me. If you do, I would like to hear your thoughts on it. :roll: I don't even own it yet. I have been trying to decide if I want it on my TBR pile or not. :lol:

I highly, highly recommend it. Here is my review.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Brief Summary from Amazon:

This is a magnificent, sweeping novel that moves from India to Ethiopia to an inner-city hospital in New York City over decades and generations. Sister Mary Joseph Praise, a devout young nun, leaves the south Indian state of Kerala in 1947 for a missionary post in Yemen. During the arduous sea voyage, she saves the life of an English doctor bound for Ethiopia, Thomas Stone, and experiences an awful assault. Later on, these experiences becomes a key moments in her destiny when the nun arrives in Addis Ababa. Seven years later, Sister Praise dies birthing twin boys: Shiva and Marion, the latter narrating his own and his brother

Well that's decided me i'm going to read Cutting Stone after i finish Birdsong. I really enjoyed The Kite Runner & i'm sure i've got Half of a Yellow Sun somewhere in my reading pile. I love it when a book i've bought gets a big thumbs up from someone else :D

Great review Readwine:) This book sounds fascinating - I am in need of a good saga for a change. I'll check it out and maybe add to the ever increasing Mount TBR - it's so high I need an oxygen mask.:D

Hi everyone!

Are any of you fans of Alexander McCall Smith? I have just ordered the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and am really looking forward to reading it, it will be my first book by this author..... :D

I loved The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I didn't think much of his Scottish series though.

I'm the opposite - I read the first four of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency then got fed up with them, but I love the Isabel Dalhousie, the 44 Scotland Street and the Corduroy Mansions series - I even buy the Isabel Dalhousie book in hardback at full price as I can't bear to read them as soon as they come out!

Hi everyone!

Are any of you fans of Alexander McCall Smith? I have just ordered the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and am really looking forward to reading it, it will be my first book by this author..... :)

I loved that book too, characterization and humor were just great ! So of course I read the 2nd one of the series and the 3rd and then.... my interest wore out and I gave up as it seemed too obvious that the 3rd one was calling the 4th which had to be finished in the 5th.

My question was, then, was the 1st so good to make you jump into the 2nd immediately afterwards or even worse, was the 2nd one already finished when the 1st was published? (or am I being also paranoid? :D)

I'm the opposite - I read the first four of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency then got fed up with them, but I love the Isabel Dalhousie, the 44 Scotland Street and the Corduroy Mansions series - I even buy the Isabel Dalhousie book in hardback at full price as I can't bear to read them as soon as they come out!

I haven't read any of the Corduroy Mansions series yet, but have enjoyed the other three.

Although, I was put off Isabel Dalhousie a bit by the fact that in the last book I read in the Dalhousie series she made a disparaging comment about people who read unintelligent novels; as someone who enjoys less than literary fiction on a regular basis, I feel slighted! :D

Hey everyone! Okay, so Catcher in the Rye has been on my TBR list since I was little and I always push it back. So now I'm thinking about reading it (an easy read, I know) but a lot of people I talk to are telling me it's not worth my time....any input?

Thanks, Peace, and Love:readingtwo:

There are a lot of love/hate opinions on The Catcher in the Rye. I've found it to be a book that separates people like almost no other. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot. :roll:

I think the only thing to do is to read it so you can make up your own mind, especially since you already have the book!