Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Dexter books any good, I have the first two but haven't seemed to be able to get into them. Have watch the tv series and loved them, does the book have anything new to add on the tv series and do they have the same kind of weird comedy aspect as the tv series?

I haven't read it, but it was reviewed on a book show on TV recently and as I recall everyone thought very highly of it. If you end up getting it I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. :17:

The new one is The Winter Ghosts, which is an extended version of her short story 'The Cave' - I've heard that if you've read The Cave, you won't get much more in the other. I have only read The Winter Ghosts, and it was nothing amazing but I enjoyed it. It's quite short. I started reading Labyrinth and didn't get around to finishing it but what I read was very good.

Okay, so has anyone here read Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem? Have been thinking about reading this ever since I found out there was a book on which the film was based, and supposedly the book doesn't have the things I hated about the film, and does have the things I missed in the film. But the only version I have available to buy here isn't the cheapest one around. Plus it's english too, which is ridiculous, can't seem to find a Dutch version of it, and reading a Polish book translated should be in my language. Even though most other books I do read in English, if that is the original language it's written in.

Anyway, I am drifting from my question.

Anyone read it, what did you think of it, and most of all, why?

I have read it, it was Ok. I did not think it was as good as Maxiumum Ride. I have a review of it on my reading log, if you want to have a look.

CW.

I've only just started reading this... beautiful imagery and elegant writing style are my thoughts so far...

Booklover Book Reviews

The Unicorn Road by Martin Davies

My review:

Beautiful from cover to composition. This cover art was what originally attracted me as it sat on my bookstore bargain shelf, but when I began reading I was pleasantly surprised to find the writing style inside the book just as artful. Davies sets the scene like a painter, telling this grand and sweeping tale of quest and adventure to foreign lands in language so beautiful and luxurious that the reader cannot help but to be enthralled and engrossed. The characters have compelling backstories that are uncovered slowly throughout the novel, revealing the admirable qualities of courage, honour and loyalty.

Although a work of fiction, actual historical events relating to the Silk Route and the Christian Crusades provide the framework for the plot. Despite the stories being set in different time periods, I found myself thinking of the movie Troy and its grandeur on more than one occasion. Although the story is an epic one, only parts are told in detail, leaving the book only 324 pages in length. The author manages to quickly wrap up all the loose ends to conclude the story, drawing on seeds of information cleverly planted along the journey (almost too perfectly). Despite the quick ending, I found the book a satisfying one that I'd recommend if for nothing else but for the beauty and artfulness of the writing.