Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

I had some problems with my car, so I couldn't go to the library to get my copy of The Book Thief. Sadly, I have to wait until next week. But that's not too bad, because I still have some good books to finish and I can simply go to another library (closer, so I can ride my bike).

Pontalba, that was a super quick read! Frankie.. The Reunion section is short, you're right. Poppyshake, you have a wise postman! :)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received The Kraken Wakes and Titus Groan in the post today (how on earth did the postman know I was wanting to read them?  :D) .. would like to finish The Dark is Rising first though. 

Ok, get kraken..... :giggle:

I had some problems with my car, so I couldn't go to the library to get my copy of The Book Thief. Sadly, I have to wait until next week. But that's not too bad, because I still have some good books to finish and I can simply go to another library (closer, so I can ride my bike).

Pontalba, that was a super quick read! Frankie.. The Reunion section is short, you're right. Poppyshake, you have a wise postman! :)

Groan.....hope your car is fixed!

I've started on Fated. It's kinda strange, reading the first part after the second. You get introductions that don't quite fit your understanding of the characters, since they changed in the first part.

At the moment I'm reading Definately Dead by Charlaine Harris. When I had the time to read, I couldn't find it  anywhere, however I tend to get my reading done on the communite to univeristy, or lunch breaks at work.

My study book is 'Passing the literacy skills QTS test. Which you need to complete BEFORE even applying for your Primary Teaching Degree.

A Void by Georges Perec, up to page 112. The plots thicken, again.

Hi frankie, I think that you will be disappointed when I try to review this books - I am pretty cr*p at doing reviews! :giggle:  I can't manage to structure them, and this is turning to be a complicated one.  

I'm sure you are being too modest! :) Besides, personally I think one's to write a review for their own amusement. If others like the review, good, and if they don't, it's just too darn bad :D

Received The Kraken Wakes and Titus Groan in the post today (how on earth did the postman know I was wanting to read them?  :D) .. would like to finish The Dark is Rising first though. 

He must be a secret admirer! :D

Ok, get kraken..... :giggle:

:lol: Good one!!!

Finished NOS4ATU and started No Time For Good-bye by Linwood Barclay

I hope you enjoy NTFG! :)

I'm determined to finish The Class today. I love the book, but I really want to get to other books soo, too!

I'm currently reading:

Stephen King - IT (re-read)

Mind Gym 1: Denk Buiten de Kaders (translated from: Mind Gym: Wake Your Mind Up)

Staci Summers - War On Clutter! How To Declutter Your Home and Life and Become Stress-Free Forever

It's not going very fast, sometimes I want to read in the evening but I find IT too scary to read just before bed time, so that's why I picked two non-fiction reads as well. Mind Gym 1: Denk Buiten de Kaders was a bit complicated (good though) so I started to read a declutter book on the Kindle because it's easier to read. I don't normally read three books at once, gladly though two are non-fiction so that makes it a bit easier.

I finished Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson and recently started The Dirt by Neil Strauss & Motley Crue.

That was the first Moomin book I ever read of the series! Loved it. Since then Snufkin has been my hero  :wub: .

I wish that I had the opportunity to read the Moomin books as a child, but it was lovely reading them for the first time, in my 40s. :smile:Great philosophical reading for adults, as well as great reading for children. 

I finished Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson and recently started The Dirt by Neil Strauss & Motley Crue.

Used to love the Moomin books! A couple of years ago I read Jansson's "The True Deceiver", which is a cracking (or kraken!) book.  Very different from the sort of stuff we normally associate with her, but a thoroughly dark, brooding and absorbing tale.  If you haven't read it yet, Kylie, I'd recommend it.  I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I've just started "A Child of the Jago", by Arthur Morrison.  Published in 1896, it's a fictionalised account of life in a London slum.  The "Jago" was based on an area of Shoreditch in East London called the "Old Nichol", which was notorious as the most squalid and desperate of Victorian London's many slums.  So appalling were the conditions that the London County Council was prompted to raze the area and build the Boundary Estate, a model estate of tenements that opened in 1900 and was one of the earliest - some say the first - social housing projects.  There's a brief overview of it here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Estate

I'm going on a guided walk of the area next week, so I thought I should do a bit of homework!

I have that one on the pile.  How was it?

This was to bookmonkey, but I can't help but jump in and say Triptych is bloody brilliant. One of Karin Slaughter's best. :yes:

I have 30 pages left of The Class, I can't believe I'm finally going to finish the book! :D

started reading One Dog And His Boy by Eva Ibbotson! :smile2:

Oh I saw that when in a bookshop today and thought of you :) Hope you enjoy it :friends0: 

Bought C.S Lewis: A Life by Alister McGrath and The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (because it was Sunday .. and raining .. and I had a book voucher :D)

Have read over 100 pages of Titus Groan .. enjoying it immensely. I thought it would be difficult but it's not at all :)

I managed to spend the afternoon reading a good chunk of Georges Perec's A Void. Just another 100 pages to go.  :smile:

Wow, that's fast! :)

Oh I saw that when in a bookshop today and thought of you :) Hope you enjoy it :friends0: 

Yep, so far so good! :)

Bought C.S Lewis: A Life by Alister McGrath and The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (because it was Sunday .. and raining .. and I had a book voucher :D)

Don't you just love Sundays... when it's raining.. .and when you have book vouchers? :giggle:

Have read over 100 pages of Titus Groan .. enjoying it immensely. I thought it would be difficult but it's not at all :)

I'm glad to hear that! I found my copy some days ago and read the first few lines and I thought it sounded difficult, and was worried that it'll be either difficult to get into, or difficult, period. Maybe I now have a shot! :)

Don't you just love Sundays... when it's raining.. .and when you have book vouchers? :giggle:

:smile2: I do indeed :D (though I think this may be the first one where all three things have happened simultaneously :D)  

I'm glad to hear that! I found my copy some days ago and read the first few lines and I thought it sounded difficult, and was worried that it'll be either difficult to get into, or difficult, period. Maybe I now have a shot! :)

It's quite wordy and descriptive .. which at first makes you think that it might be difficult but once you have the characters fixed in your head it's fine. They're all weird of course and doing weird things but compared to old Faulkner .. its a doddle. I'm really impressed with it actually .. I had no idea it was written just after WW2 .. I thought it was written in the 70's. I've already found two toast quotations so .. I'm well pleased :D 

Hope you're able to get on with it frankie :friends0: the size of it makes it quite daunting but the pages are reading themselves now so I think .. leastways I hope .. that it'll be one of those books that absorb you so much that you forget about the arm-ache it's giving you :D