Your YA Recommendations

Michelle

Two good YA fantasy series come to mind.

For one Skulduggery Pleasant about a young girl and her friend the magician detective skeleton out on various adventures. It has fantasy, horror and detective story elements. I'd say it would be good for 10+, cause it has it's dark and dangerous moments.

For a bit younger readers I'd recommend the Demonkeeper series. It's about a young boy who inherits a house full of mischievous demons from his mentor. It's more funny and a bit slapstick-y with pretty easy language. I'd say for 8+, though it has some romance elements that seem to suggest it was intended for a more teen-aged audience.

For one Skulduggery Pleasant about a young girl and her friend the magician detective skeleton out on various adventures. It has fantasy, horror and detective story elements. I'd say it would be good for 10+, cause it has it's dark and dangerous moments.

Skulduggery Pleasant is an AWESOME series, and the best thing about it is that each book is better than the last. The first books are quite tame but as you said, it does get very dark.

Very dark.

For me, it has to be the Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.  These books have something for everyone, no matter your age, from magic and mystery to a fantastic sense of humour running throughout.

I love these books so much that it didn't even occur to me that the were meant for a younger audience.  At no point did I feel like I was reading a children's book or that I wasn't getting as much out of it as I should be.  I devoured each one of them and enjoyed them all immensely!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is going to be helpful to anybody! Because the YA books I read when I was a young teen were so long ago, it wasn't even called YA then. I read a LOT of Andre Norton, who was really Mary Norton writing under a male pseudonym, but I didn't know that then; I remember Stig Of The Dump and I remember a book called Space Hostages by Nicholas Fisk about a group of children who are kidnapped by an RAF man trying to stop a war.