YA Authors

Michelle

YA authors - as long as you're willing to stay around and chat to us, you are welcome to add a post here to tell us about your book(s).

If we've been in contact, and you'd like a thread set up where you can talk about your book(s) and chat to our members about them, please send me an email or PM and let me know.

Hi everyone! My name's Cassandra Rose Clarke (and I actually share a publisher with Sean  :smile:). I have a YA adventure fantasy duology out right now. The first book is called The Assassin's Curse and the sequel is The Pirate's Wish, and they follow the adventures of a pirate girl named Ananna as she attempts to help out a cursed assassin.

I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Hi guys

My name is Bryony Pearce.  I've got two published YA novels - Angel's Fury (out two years ago with Egmont, winner of the Leeds Book Award and The Cheshire Schools Book Award) and The Weight of Souls (out in August with Strange Chemistry).  

Angel's Fury is pretty much only available as an ebook now, but Weight of Souls is out in all possible formats!  My husband even bought me back a hardback copy from the States last week.

The Weight of Souls is about a teenaged girl who suffers from a dreadful family curse - she sees dead people and has to avenge the death of any ghost that touches her.  

I look forward to chatting with you.

Bx

Hello Sean, want to tell us more about your two books? :smile: I'm already intrigued by the titles.

Hi Chrissy: I write urban fantasy and POLTERGEEKS is about teen witch Julie Richardson, her dorky boyfriend Marcus who secretly carries a torch for her and a race against time to save Julie's mother from the nasty business of having been on the receiving end of a dark spell that rips her soul from her body, leaving her in a supernatural coma. There's poltergeist activity going on all over town and it's linked to a puppet master working in the shadows - someone with a keen interest in Julie and her powers. The sequel, STUDENT BODIES is a very dark book - someone has tried to kill one of the most popular kids in school - that's how the book starts out. He's covered with soul worms: supernatural larvae that feed on the victim's humanity. There's a plot to kill all the kids at school during the upcoming Christmas dance, and Julie has to enlist the help of some powerful friends to save them.

Hi Sean, I have Poltergeeks on my Kobo but haven't gotten around to it yet, what age would you say it's for as I have a 12 year old daughter and a 14 year old son?

I wrote both books specifically for that age group. There is some mild swearing, no sex and a heck of a lot of action from the first page on in both books.

Hello

I'm Kate and I write thrillers for teenagers, as well as comedies for adults (like The Boot Camp and The Secret Shopper's Revenge) and, most recently, two books about healthy eating - The 5:2 Diet Book and The Ultimate 5:2 Recipe Book. What can I say? I'm easily bored...! :blush2:

My Soul Beach trilogy is based on the idea of a Facebook for the dead - and my heroine, who is very much alive, discovers Soul Beach when she receives an email from her murdered sister on the day of her sister's funeral...

soulbeachpage.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for all the authors who kindly joined this forum. In your opinion, why most of YA books are not published here in Italy? Do you think it's a "wrong place" for YA literature? I work with teenagers and it's always difficult to find a good book for them, a good story who can "talk" to them. Harry Potter, Hunger Games and some Chambers books are on our shelves, obviously, but most of the authors - I'm really sorry to admit it - are completely unknown here. We don't even have a name for YA books.. they're just books without genre. Is it a problem of culture or mainly of translation?

I have a question for all the authors who kindly joined this forum. In your opinion, why most of YA books are not published here in Italy? Do you think it's a "wrong place" for YA literature? I work with teenagers and it's always difficult to find a good book for them, a good story who can "talk" to them. Harry Potter, Hunger Games and some Chambers books are on our shelves, obviously, but most of the authors - I'm really sorry to admit it - are completely unknown here. We don't even have a name for YA books.. they're just books without genre. Is it a problem of culture or mainly of translation?

A lot of that has to do with our literary agents selling the foreign rights to our books. I think we'd all love to be published in Italy!!!

Thank you for your reply, Mr.Cummings. Maybe it's our fault: we make your agents think our country wouldn't appreciate your works. We should try and convince them they are wrong.

Foreign rights are a big part of publishing - the Frankfurt Book Fair is a foreign rights fair - everything gets pitched to publishers by agents and it's a waiting game to see if a book deal can come of it. Literary agents don't need any motivation to sell, really, it's an issue of what a particular book had sold in its country of origin and whether a publisher sees there would be any opportunity for that same book to sell in their own country.

Hi, Eleanora. So interesting you mention Italy as I'd love to publish there, being half Italian and living there for part of the year. I've asked my agent to keep chasing that angle, so hopefully one day... :)

So, my debut novel, is a psychological thriller called The Bone Dragon, published by Faber & Faber in the UK and Carlsen in Germany. Here's the blurb from the book-cover:

Everyone at school thinks that Evie broke her ribs in a car crash… Evie doesn’t talk about why she was adopted and why she really needed an operation. Because some things should never be said. Now, she is safe and even has a souvenir from hospital – a piece of rib bone, which she carves into a dragon. And it comes to life at night in Dragon-dreams, helping Evie to heal, giving her strength. But some things cannot be fixed. Some things are too terrible to be forgiven. Sometimes, revenge must be take and it seems the dragon is the one to take it, while Evie looks on.

BTW, in answer to a question on a different thread, I don't share my email address but people can find me via either of my websites (www.alexiacasale.com and www.thebonedragon.com) or Twitter (@AlexiaCasale) or Facebook (www.facebook.com/author.alexiacasale). I love hearing from readers so do get in touch if you've got any comments, questions or feedback!

:)