She Who Remembers by Linda Lay Shuler

frankie

There are a lot of historical fiction fans out here, and while I haven't read many books on that genre, I always remember this one particular book which I would recommend to anyone interested. Sadly, searching for any references to the author only lead back to me saying in some thread that they ought to read the book, I haven't so far come across anyone who's actually read the book.

So I thought it was high time to start a thread for She Who Remembers by Linda Lay Shuler.

Here's some info from Amazon (I've edited a bit so as not to have any spoilers):

A compelling story of tribal life in the American Southwest in the late 13th century.

In an ancient time of fear and superstition, the daughter of a Viking invader, Kwani is exiled from her clan because her blue eyes mark her as a witch. In a land of great stone cities and trackless wilderness, she seeks her own unique path.

Kwani's story has an abundance of adventure but is especially interesting for its depiction of customs and rituals and village relationships. It should appeal to those who enjoy Jean Auel's novels.

The first time I read this book I was a teenager. I think it's one of the longest books I ever read in those days, and even then it didn't feel too long. I was very gripped by the story and quite mesmerized. I do remember the most important turns of events, but not the whole story. But more importantly, I remember the atmosphere, and how well the book was written. The more I think about it now, the more I want to re-read it!

I would definitely recommend this to any historical fiction fan :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is a trilogy, the sequels are Voice of the Eagle and Let the Drum Speak, but I haven't read them myself.

Edited by frankie

It's on my wishlist (after you recommended it to me :giggle2:)! When I looked it up a while ago, I didn't see any new copies of the book being sold. I might have to try and find a second-hand copy, instead. The synopsis sounds very intruiging, at least :).

It's on my wishlist (after you recommended it to me :giggle2:)! When I looked it up a while ago, I didn't see any new copies of the book being sold. I might have to try and find a second-hand copy, instead. The synopsis sounds very intruiging, at least :).

The first book was written in 1988... I don't know if there are any copies left and if they will ever be re-published :( I hope you can find secondhand copies! :)

Edit: are you looking for a Dutch or English copy? I think you can find on Amazon... :shrug:

Edited by frankie

English (if the original author is English I much prefer the English version), but I don't order from .com since that means it's shipped from the US and I might have to pay import taxes on it, and shipping costs a lot. Amazon.co.uk have one version but it's almost 12 pounds, and another (that I like better) that they don't have in stock. Might have to buy a used copy from the marketplace. Thanks, though :).

Good find Frankie! :)

I just downloaded it for the kindle...only 4.99 USD.

Athena, can you put it on kindle there?  I'm not sure how it works overseas.

BTW, the sequels were available on kindle as well.

Edited by pontalba

I think it has something to do with taxes that some European countries put on products, though I agree, it's very weird! Amazon's ebooks are actually the cheapest as far as I know, I think most other ebook shops (ie. bol.com based in the Netherlands, they sell ebooks next to all their physical products, I use them sometimes for physical items) sell their books for even more money (Dutch ebooks cost more than English ebooks, as well). This was one of the many reasons why I bought a Kindle and not a Sony or something Ereader. I read reviews on US sites and the Kindle was one of the best. The other ones that were good, are all not sold here. On Dutch sites, there are other ereaders that are popular, but none of the popular US ones are listed. It's kind of weird, a whole different world.

I hope you enjoy the book, pontalba! I hope to be buying and reading it sometime too :).

• 4 years later...

OK I admit it, I've had "She who remembers" on my Kindle for ages - unread!

It just seems to be one of those books I intend to read "after this one" but keep getting sidetracked! 

So far Frankie you're the only of us to follow through :D but I'm determined to read at least the first one ... As soon as I've finished my current book. :smile:

• 8 months later...