Elements in books

Athena

What kind of elements do you like to see in your genre books? Feel free to talk about other elements that aren't included in the questions, of course :), they're just to get people thinking. I couldn't find a topic exactly like this one, but this topic does breach areas that some other topics have talked about. I hope that's okay.

Generic questions:

- What kind of plot elements do you find interesting?

- Are you looking for character development?

- Do you prefer lots of unexpected plot twists or do you prefer it when a book is a bit more predictable?

- Do you like tension in your books?

- How do you prefer your protagonists, more perfect / strong or more flawed, or a mixture?

- Do you prefer to read a book that reads more easily or that's more complicated (in terms of word use and/or story/characters/world), or a mixture?

- Do you prefer a show, rather than tell, style?

- Do you prefer a story to be told with flashbacks or chronologically (or even a flash forward?)?

Below some ideas of elements you can talk about for several genres:

Fantasy:

How do you feel about magic in your books?

What about mythical creatures such as dragons?

Do you prefer swords or guns, or a combination of both?

Do you like to see a world based on ours or connected to ours, or do you prefer a brand new made up world?

Do you like to have a map in the book, or do you prefer no map?

What kind of protagonists do you like to see?

What kind of political system do you like to see in the world?

Science-fiction:

- Do you like Time Travel in your books?

- What about planetary travel?

- Teleporting or ships?

- Aliens?

- Brand new universe or based/related on/to our own?

- Dystopia or future science-fiction?

Contemporary Fiction:

- What kind of plot elements interest you in particular?

- What kind of subjects do you like to read about? ie. Love between a couple, love triangle, affair, a family, children, secrets, book about a job, coming of age..

Historical Fiction:

- Which time period do you prefer to read about?

- Do you prefer to read something truly accurate or do you prefer it if the author changes things in an attempt to make the story more interesting?

Biographies:

- What kind of people do you like to read about?

Information:

- What kind of subjects are you particularly interested in?

- Do you prefer books with a lot of text or with some pictures, graphs, tables (if applicable to the subject)

Paranormal:

- What kind of creatures/beings do you like to read about?

Okay, I think I'll stop there.. I think you get the point by now :blush:. I hope this topic isn't trying to discuss too many things at once..

I'd start by being quite boring and say I don't look for something in particularly, just something that interests me. Preferably something I haven't seen before. Or maybe a combination of things I like together in one book.

For example, I love the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell, both the Napoleonic time period as well as the light hearted on going series, but not connected books and have more recently found The Ketty Jay series (light hearted, swashbuckling and on going, not connected series) as well as Promise of Blood (Fantasy magic set in a Napleonic-esque world.

I've never been too keen on fantasy worlds that are either very similar to our own or actually cross-over into our world. Such as His Dark Materials and The Dark Tower whereas a hidden fantasy world within our own is OK such as Harry Potter and Neverwhere.

Athena

I guess I'll bite on this one .

* No interest in Sci-Fi or Fantasy .

Contemporary Fiction:

coming of age..
I like stories told by a kid who is telling you about their life or something big that happened to them in their life . I have no interest in romance or affairs or any of that .

Historical Fiction:
- Which time period do you prefer to read about? Civil War is my favorite time frame .An interesting time in our country that can be told from so many different angles .

- Do you prefer to read something truly accurate or do you prefer it if the author changes things in an attempt to make the story more interesting? I like it to be true ,not a made up story . If the whole truth isn't known , then as accurate as they can make it from the info that IS known .

Biographies:
- What kind of people do you like to read about? Anyone who has had an interesting life, doesn't have to be a famous person, it can be an ordinary person that dealt with an unusual or challenging time in their life. That way, I can learn about life from other people's perspectives and how they handled it .

I guess I'd mainly say that I like nonfiction ,but have also enjoyed fiction in literature if it is dealing with a subject that I can learn something about , or a challenge in life that others have faced that would give me information on how to deal with life myself . I think we all learn new things every day in life ,so if we share our stories with others, it may help them to learn about life too ,

Character-wise: I love it in fantasy novels when you have characters of dubious morality and a really entertaining internal monologue. Joe Abercrombie is brilliant for this: Sand dan Glokta (a crippled torturer) and Logen Ninefingers (a barbarian berserker) are both a bit on the dodgy side yet have highly likeable personality traits, and their points of view are alternately hilarious and heartbreaking to read.

Setting-wise: It has to be a world completely separate from our own. For me, books = escapism, which is why I like fantasy. It's boring enough scraping a normal living in our world - why would I want to read about other people doing the same? (I read the first Harry Potter book when I was 10 - let's just say I cried a bit when I didn't get my Hogwarts acceptance letter on my 11th birthday).

Ok I loooove fantasy, the more magic, Elves, dragons and lost magical swords there are the better IMO! :-D how to answer some questions...

(Q.) What kind of plot elements do you find interesting? (A.)Something, anything that is not boring!

(Q.) Are you looking for character development? (A.) Yes! And persunality, a character has to have some persunality and they can have flaws but the they must be likable. The whole story starts to fall apart for me when I started cheering on the bad guys saying, please kill him/ her please!!! The author should also know that they didn't write a good book when that started to happen lol.

(Q.) Do you prefer lots of unexpected plot twists or do you prefer it when a book is a bit more predictable? (A.) Both actually. How it is written and what the plot it decides if it should or should'nt be.

(Q.) How do you prefer your protagonists, more perfect / strong or more flawed, or a mixture? (A.) Likable! :-)

(Q.) Do you prefer to read a book that reads more easily or that's more complicated (in terms of word use and/or story/characters/world), or a mixture? (A.) I normally like my books long and with enough complicated stuff in it that it gives the brain something that it has to concentrate on the book so plot twists, lots of characters...ect. them there are times when it is nice to give the old brain a holiday!

Fantasy:

(Q.)How do you feel about magic in your books? (A.) Love it!

(Q.) What about mythical creatures such as dragons? (A.) The more the merrier! The only thing I have to object to with some of the books with dragons, is that they make the Dragons evil or at least bad and I like Dragons...

(Q.) Do you prefer swords or guns, or a combination of both? (A.) Normally I an a sword and bows and arrows kind of girl but I have to say that how L. E. Modesitt used guns in his Corean Chronicles worked so well.

(Q) Do you like to see a world based on ours or connected to ours, or do you prefer a brand new made up world? (A.) I don't mind worlds based on ours but I much prefer new worlds that have nothing to do with ours.

(Q.) What kind of protagonists do you like to see? (A.) Intresting ones that you can support ( if they are the good guy) or really hate if they are the bad guy. I'm a simple person, the good guys must be the good guys even if they are assassins or theifs and the bad guys must be evil. Like all of those bond villens:-) .

Edited by Vimes

I'd start by being quite boring and say I don't look for something in particularly, just something that interests me. Preferably something I haven't seen before. Or maybe a combination of things I like together in one book.

For example, I love the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell, both the Napoleonic time period as well as the light hearted on going series, but not connected books and have more recently found The Ketty Jay series (light hearted, swashbuckling and on going, not connected series) as well as Promise of Blood (Fantasy magic set in a Napleonic-esque world.

I've never been too keen on fantasy worlds that are either very similar to our own or actually cross-over into our world. Such as His Dark Materials and The Dark Tower whereas a hidden fantasy world within our own is OK such as Harry Potter and Neverwhere.

This is basically me too, except I don't mind a series and I'm not a fan of Harry Potter.

Edited by Devi

Great questions Athena .. I'm going to answer in bits :D

Fantasy:

I'm quite happy to read about magic .. but I do prefer books set in this world.

I like a dragon :D .. I can visualise a dragon .. where I'm not good is with creatures that I have no former knowledge of .. especially if they've thrown caution to the wind as regards anatomical correctness :D

Now I have to admit .. if it gets all sword fighty or battley then I lose interest :blush2: .. but I prefer old school .. so swords :D

Do you like to see a world based on ours or connected to ours, or do you prefer a brand new made up world?

I think I answered this earlier :blush2: I prefer worlds based on ours .. my imagination runs into trouble when asked to conceive of made up worlds :giggle: I have tried stretching it but it usually runs out of steam and can't quite do it. It does depend on the writing .. I'm fine in Middle Earth, Narnia, Discworld and Abercrombie's (First Law) world.

Yes I love a map :D

I don't really mind but I hate kick-ass protagonists .. especially women :blush2: .. or anyone arrogant or super confident. I like them to have frailties of some kind or I can't relate to them.

An uncomplicated one :giggle: 

Personally I love a mix of mundane and strange. That's why I'm into low fantasy. Any kind of alternate reality in our world is great. Bonus points for contemporary or Victorian settings.

I very much like magic in my books, as well as magical creatures or beings, but I really prefer it if the author manages to bring some new twist into how magic works, or how the magical creatures look, function and interact.

I also like it if my protagonists are about as normal as they can get. Not overly flawed, not especially powerful, just your regular guy or girl, finding themselves in a world that's a lot stranger than previously imagined.

Also, I really wish there'd be more stories that contain alternative styles of relationships. I don't need any romance in my fantasy, but most authors seem to disagree, and there's at least a slight undercurrent in a lot of them. But would it be so much to ask to see something else besides heterosexual monogamy?

OK, so I treated this like homework and made my way through all the questions.

Generic questions:
- What kind of plot elements do you find interesting? I like a little intrigue at times where the back of my mind is trying
to work things out as the front of my mind carries on reading.

- Are you looking for character development? Most definitely, the characters always drive the story for me. If I don’t connect in some way, or the characters remain too 2 dimensional then I don’t form a reader’s attachment to the text.

- Do you prefer lots of unexpected plot twists or do you prefer it when a book is a bit more predictable? I am happy with
both. Sometimes a comfortable non challenging read is immensely enjoyable, but I like variety.

- Do you like tension in your books? Appropriately placed tension can enhance a plot, but used badly and it just makes the writer look foolish.

- How do you prefer your protagonists, more perfect / strong or more flawed, or a mixture? A mixture is good. Too perfect or flawed and the character becomes unknowable, and mixture generally offers something to which the reader can relate.

- Do you prefer to read a book that reads more easily or that's more complicated (in terms of word use and/or story/characters/world), or a mixture?  I adore clever use of language and original concepts, but it can be a thin line between ingenious and attempting to be intellectually superior.

- Do you prefer a show, rather than tell, style? A combination works well on most occasions, with you finding a story as well as being given a story.

- Do you prefer a story to be told with flashbacks or chronologically (or even a flash forward?)? As long as the structure of the
story can hold flashbacks comfortably, without unintended jarring of the reader then I can really enjoy the story such as with The Time Travelers Wife.  Yet a story told from beginning to end step by step can be equally compelling, without the need to give much by way of back story.

Fantasy:
How do you feel about magic in your books? Happy to read it so long as it ‘fits’ with the story.

What about mythical creatures such as dragons? I love a good dragon! As with magic, if it fits the story and well depicted then I am happy.

Do you prefer swords or guns, or a combination of both? It depends entirely on context. They suggest different types of scenarios, with
among other things guns = modern, while swords = olde worlde.

Do you like to see a world based on ours or connected to ours, or do you prefer a brand new made up world? New worlds are fascinating, but the books I have read generally contain elements that one can recognise, such as a viewpoint or a tool or the way characters interact (loyalty, love, endeavor, sacrifice etc)

Do you like to have a map in the book, or do you prefer no map? If the story requires a map they can be lovely to have (The Hobbit & Septimus Heap).

What kind of protagonists do you like to see? Unanswerable!

What kind of political system do you like to see in the world? Varied, all dependent on plot (a liberal ruling party would have made The Hunger Games pretty lame!).
Science-fiction:
- Do you like Time Travel in your books? I enjoy TT when well written.
- What about planetary travel? As Before
- Teleporting or ships? As Before
- Aliens? As Before
- Brand new universe or based/related on/to our own?  I’ll repeat what I answered earlier; New worlds are fascinating, but the books I have read generally contain elements that one can recognise, such as a viewpoint or a tool or the way characters interact (loyalty, love, endeavor, sacrifice etc)
- Dystopia or future science-fiction? Enjoy future, but I have a particular leaning toward Dystopian stories.
Contemporary Fiction:
- What kind of plot elements interest you in particular? Unanswerable!
- What kind of subjects do you like to read about? ie. Love between a couple, love triangle, affair, a family, children, secrets, book about a job, coming of age.. Any can be appealing, although I tend to avoid books that are marketed as 100% romance novels. Romance is fine, so long as it’s not the only thing the book has to offer!  
Historical Fiction:
- Which time period do you prefer to read about? All depends on the book. I have read epic far reaching stories that start in the Ice Age
through to modern day, I have also read books set in  Early Christian era, Roman, Victorian, Tudor etc, something in the ‘blurb’ will catch my imagination and make me feel compelled to read it (or stockpile it)  –that unknowable ‘x’ factor
- Do you prefer to read something truly accurate or do you prefer it if the author changes things in an attempt to make the story more interesting? So long as the author isn’t saying their work is non-fiction when it is fiction I have no qualms about accuracy. If I want to explore a subject further and accurately I would not look to fiction.
Biographies:
- What kind of people do you like to read about? Historical figures mainly. I have limited interest in biographies on celebrities or the living!
Information:
- What kind of subjects are you particularly interested in?  I have a range of reference books from travel, through almanacs to books on demonology, angels and world faiths. Don't even aske me about dictionaries!
- Do you prefer books with a lot of text or with some pictures, graphs, tables (if applicable to the subject) If they are applicable and useful.
Paranormal:
- What kind of creatures/beings do you like to read about? I’m not sure there are many more vampire stories to be told now, but so long as the story is well written, as with most of my answers, I will happily give a book a chance.

Edited by Chrissy

It seems like you and I are in the same boat with many ways Chrissy :)

To get around to answering the last few questions posed:

Sci-fi I don't read so...

I do like a bit of historical fiction but it has to be interesting with an interesting subject or placed in a exciting time in history. What I do read a lot of when I can get my hands on them is what I call historical mysteries / action books (and yes I know this is not a proper genre and that they probably fall under historical fiction!) like the Nine Wild books or The Da Vinci guy. Oh and the Amilea Peabody series (ok fun fact about the Peabody books, the Mummy movies were loosely based on some of them)

Edited by Vimes

- What kind of plot elements do you find interesting?

I like a book to surprise me so unpredictability is key. If the author can weave some humour into the plot then I'm happy .. even if it's very dark humour or absurdity.

- Are you looking for character development?

Not always .. I'm quite happy for a character to end a book as they started .. if that character is interesting enough in the first place. I do like to know as much as possible about the character though.

- Do you prefer lots of unexpected plot twists or do you prefer it when a book is a bit more predictable?

I love a twist .. and I love to expect a twist .. I can then guess away and be quite happy to be proved wrong.

- Do you like tension in your books?

Yes .. within bearable levels. It can be delicious.

- How do you prefer your protagonists, more perfect / strong or more flawed, or a mixture?

I don't like perfect protagonists or strong ones much .. but then I don't like wimpy characters that you want to shake so somewhere in between. Flawed characters often make for interesting stories.

- Do you prefer to read a book that reads more easily or that's more complicated (in terms of word use and/or story/characters/world), or a mixture?

I'm not good with complicated or easy .. I prefer something in the middle. I like to be tested but not overly so. I definitely don't want to read a book that I feel, with a little effort, I could have written (very simplistic in other words :giggle:)

- Do you prefer a show, rather than tell, style?

I don't mind too much .. either is good. I can be obtuse though so sometimes I need telling or it passes over my head. 

- Do you prefer a story to be told with flashbacks or chronologically (or even a flash forward?)?

I don't mind flash backs or flash forwards if it benefits the story but I don't particularly like being jostled around from one timescale to another. I prefer chronological books in general.

Edited by poppyshake

Interesting themes Athena. :)

Generic questions:
- What kind of plot elements do you find interesting? Humor is always good, but for me, only in combination with the unknown.  I love plot twists, I guess you could say Twilight Zone sort of themes.
- Are you looking for character development? Yes.  Or, more to the point, a fully developed character to begin with, nuances and unexpected twists added as the novel progresses.
- Do you prefer lots of unexpected plot twists or do you prefer it when a book is a bit more predictable? :)  See above.
- Do you like tension in your books? Usually.  Perhaps not all the way through, if there is a "resting" period, it makes the tension all the sweeter.
- How do you prefer your protagonists, more perfect / strong or more flawed, or a mixture? No Perfect!  Yeech!  Flawed, or even twisted is good.
- Do you prefer to read a book that reads more easily or that's more complicated (in terms of word use and/or story/characters/world), or a mixture?   Complex, in and out, up and down, and around the proverbial Mulberry bush.
- Do you prefer a show, rather than tell, style?  SHOW ME!! 
- Do you prefer a story to be told with flashbacks or chronologically (or even a flash forward?)?  Six to a half dozen of the other.  IOW, either, although flash back/forward can spice it up a bit, not to mention put a bit of a twist into it.

Below some ideas of elements you can talk about for several genres:

Fantasy:  Not my genre, although I don't totally rule it out. Thus the abbreviated answers here. :)
How do you feel about magic in your books?  ennh. A mild, sort of ambiguous bit of magic. Unexplained, but hovering, so to speak.
What about mythical creatures such as dragons?  I have read a few with dragons, Tempaire...maybe I have that wrong, but in general, no.
Do you prefer swords or guns, or a combination of both?  Any combination.
Do you like to see a world based on ours or connected to ours, or do you prefer a brand new made up world? Prefer something based in our possible reality.
Do you like to have a map in the book, or do you prefer no map?  Don't care, either way is fine.

Science-fiction:
- Do you like Time Travel in your books?  YES!!
- What about planetary travel?  Oh, yeah!
- Teleporting or ships?  Without a doubt!
- Aliens?  As long as they are interesting, and can relate to them.  No slime, please. lol
- Brand new universe or based/related on/to our own?  Related to our own. 
- Dystopia or future science-fiction?  Prefer dystopia, but like some future SF.

Contemporary Fiction:
- What kind of plot elements interest you in particular? Moral conflict always works, and covers a multitude of sins. No pun intended.
- What kind of subjects do you like to read about? ie. Love between a couple, love triangle, affair, a family, children, secrets, book about a job, coming of age.. Star crossed, generational epics, SECRETS, some coming of age.  But mostly ruminations and analysis on /of Life, the whys and wherefores of what has happened to a person.  Not to mention Detective stories, mysteries, who dunnits. 

Historical Fiction:
- Which time period do you prefer to read about?  Practically any period.  Very flexible.
- Do you prefer to read something truly accurate or do you prefer it if the author changes things in an attempt to make the story more interesting?  I do not like it when the author changes the real course of history....for example, I do not care for alternative history stories.  I know they are pretty popular, but they irritate me.  I like an author to work with a real time line.  Any characters he/she can throw in is fine, but don't change the natural course of history.

Biographies:
- What kind of people do you like to read about?  Not big on bios, but when I do, it's ordinarily historical figures, particularly ones of Ancient History, or, oh well historical covers it. :)

Information:
- What kind of subjects are you particularly interested in?  History.  Some science, if historically based. 
- Do you prefer books with a lot of text or with some pictures, graphs, tables (if applicable to the subject)  Text, a few pics are fine.

Paranormal:
- What kind of creatures/beings do you like to read about?  Not my gig.

Edited by pontalba

As far as plot goes, I definitely like the tense books the best. It's a good way to keep me glued to the book for hours and hours without even realizing I just spent a whole day reading a book cover to cover. 

I also like when a book has twists and turns. If I already can predict what will happen in the end when I'm 1/4 of the way through, it's just not interesting. 

Science-fiction:

Not my favourite genre it has to be said :blush2: I do like vintage sci-fi :smile: I like it when plants start eating us :D

- Do you like Time Travel in your books?

A little .. there's a chance of being back here in our time at some point  :giggle:

- What about planetary travel?

Oh dear! :giggle:

- Teleporting or ships?

Neither? :giggle:

- Aliens?

I'd prefer not :giggle: unless they're coming here .. I can cope with that :blush2: (but I'd rather they stayed away :D)

- Brand new universe or based/related on/to our own?

I think I've answered this before .. I'm not good in brand new universes :blush2:

- Dystopia or future science-fiction?

I'm particularly bad with this .. especially if people are talking about pods or speaking in code etc. I don't think my head is quite wired right for sci-fi .. perhaps I just need to read more of it?

Contemporary Fiction:

- What kind of plot elements interest you in particular?

- What kind of subjects do you like to read about? ie. Love between a couple, love triangle, affair, a family, children, secrets, book about a job, coming of age..

I don't really know? A bit of all of those things I suppose. I do like reading about 'love gone wrong' and what happens next etc but I like there to be quirks. Apart from all of Jane Austen's stories I'm not that interested in boy meets girl, hates girl, begins to love girl, marries girl etc (and hers were so much more than that anyway). I like the people in the stories to surprise me which is generally quite easy as I'm never expecting them to do anything out of the ordinary. I love stories about batty and eccentric people.

Historical Fiction:

- Which time period do you prefer to read about?

Tudor, Victorian, First and Second World War, 1920's and 1950's in particular.

- Do you prefer to read something truly accurate or do you prefer it if the author changes things in an attempt to make the story more interesting?

I don't like it if facts are changed but I don't mind embellishment and generalised tinkering :)

Biographies:

- What kind of people do you like to read about?

People that have had a life :D I tend to read biographies about funny people or people that write with humour anyway. Writers obviously are also top of the list.

Information:

- What kind of subjects are you particularly interested in?

Cooking :D .. I've always got my head in a cookbook. Other than that, literature obviously, animals, geography and weirdly .. as I'm not into sci-fi .. planets and the solar system.

- Do you prefer books with a lot of text or with some pictures, graphs, tables (if applicable to the subject)

Oh dear! I like as many pictures and drawings as possible  :blush2:

Paranormal:

I never read about the paranormal .. I don't think I ever have. Oh I've read some Susan Hill .. is that paranormal? .. I've read about shapeshifters too .. yes I think I have dabbled in the paranormal but it's not somewhere I would willingly buy a ticket to :D  

- What kind of creatures/beings do you like to read about?

No .. I'm not good with creatures/beings .. apart from normal ones. I don't mind a werewolf or a vampire .. but make them believable .. don't have them falling in love or anything please :D Actually I quite like reading about both fairies and witches and also wizards of course and trolls .. ooh also orcs and djinns ... I'm more open to strange beings than I thought :D

Okay, I think I'll stop there.. I think you get the point by now :blush:. I hope this topic isn't trying to discuss too many things at once..

Thanks for taking the time to put this topic together Gaia xx  

Interesting answers, everyone! I just realised I hadn't yet posted anything myself :giggle2:, so I better get on with it.

Generic questions:

What kind of plot elements do you find interesting?

A lot of different things, as I read a lot of different books.

Are you looking for character development?

Yes, most of the time. I like it when the character has learned something over the course of the book. I don't mind it though if it isn't the case (ie. in certain detective series), but for most types of books I prefer some character development.

Do you prefer lots of unexpected plot twists or do you prefer it when a book is a bit more predictable?

Both! I like to sometimes read books with a lot of unexpected plot twists and at other times I like it when a book is a bit more predictable. I generally prefer having a good ending over a bad / sad one.

Do you like tension in your books?

Yes, but not too much, usually. I tend to try and feel for the characters and when it gets too tense I feel too stressed out about it. Gladly though this doesn't happen often and usually I can enjoy the book just fine.

How do you prefer your protagonists, more perfect / strong or more flawed, or a mixture?

Both. I sometimes read books with protagonists who have character flaws, but at other times I like to read a book with a kickass main character. If pressed though I'd prefer a character that's flawed in some ways (but then comes to terms with things in the end).

Do you prefer to read a book that reads more easily or that's more complicated (in terms of word use and/or story/characters/world), or a mixture?

Both! I like to read a mixture of both types, sometimes reading more complicated books, other times (especially when I'm tired) less complicated books.

Do you prefer a show, rather than tell, style?

Both really. Some showing, some telling.

Do you prefer a story to be told with flashbacks or chronologically (or even a flash forward?)?

I don't have a clear preference, but I like it that I can read books with either one of those situations. I like a variety.

Fantasy:

I love magic in fantasy books. I still like fantasy books without magic, but for me it's a big bonus if there is some form of magic (preferably that the main character is eventually capable of).

Sure, that's great! I wouldn't want all fantasy books to have them, though.

For my fantasy, swords. For my science-fiction, guns. Both both is okay too!

I like both, though if pressed I'd prefer a brand new world.

I like to see a map, especially for brand new worlds.

It really depends. I was really thinking of the A Song of Ice and Fire series when I wrote this question. I like to see a variety of things, in various books. I have to say, I particularly like it though, when the women have a say in things too. There are books where the world is ruled by men, I always like to see that women get a say too (there are only a few books that involve a world / country ruled by women).

Science-fiction:

Do you like Time Travel in your books?

Yes! Though I don't want all my science-fiction books to have time travel in them.

What about planetary travel?

Yes! Though I don't want all my science-fiction books to have this.

Teleporting or ships?

Either!

Aliens?

Yes!

Brand new universe or based/related on/to our own?

Both!

Dystopia or future science-fiction?

I have a preference for future science-fiction but I also love reading dystopian stories.

Contemporary Fiction:

What kind of subjects do you like to read about? ie. Love between a couple, love triangle, affair, a family, children, secrets, book about a job, coming of age..

This is a difficult one to answer, I like to read about a lot of those! I like reading a variety of books, and so sometimes I feel like reading about a family or about a couple trying to have children. At other times for example I feel like reading a coming of age story or a book that contains a lot of secrets (I do love some good secrets in books). I also love to read about love between a couple, a love triangle and affair less so (though I still enjoy reading about those, depending on the book).

Historical Fiction:

Which time period do you prefer to read about?

This is a difficult one. I don't think I have a particular preference. Admittedly perhaps I'm more interested in some periods than others but there isn't one that stands out. I just want to read a good book, if the book is good and I can understand what's going on in that time period then I have no issues I think. I think I need to read some more historical fiction to find out the answer to this question, there are many periods that I haven't read any books about. Though history wise I've always been more interested in earlier history, ie. the ancient Greeks and Romans, than later history. But in books I find it's all good, so far.

Do you prefer to read something truly accurate or do you prefer it if the author changes things in an attempt to make the story more interesting?

I don't mind really, though I do think the author should put a disclaimer in the front saying it's a work of fiction.

Biographies:

What kind of people do you like to read about?

People with autism or another disability, writers, readers, people with a scarred past, dog stories, mainly about people (or animals) who're interesting to me in one way or another. I don't read a lot of biographies to be honest, but I find it nice to read one now and then.

Information:

What kind of subjects are you particularly interested in?

A lot of subjects, for example science, chemistry, physics, astronomy, maths, psychology, biology, health, IT, history, writing, literature..

Do you prefer books with a lot of text or with some pictures, graphs, tables (if applicable to the subject)

Either. It depends on the subject, if a graph or picture could illustrate and help people understand the text more, then I'm all for it. But there should be more content than images for the sake of it.

Paranormal:

What kind of creatures/beings do you like to read about?

A variety, I don't feel particularly inclined towards certain creatures instead of others. I've read more vampire stories than anything else, but I don't know that I have a particular preference.

Edited by Athena