Desert Island Essentials

If only we really DID have this island to escape to now and again eh? I would take very regular holidays there, I know that for a fact.

Yes, nights getting colder, so everyone wrap up warm, I need

all the ingredients to make a Christmas cake ,

a small bottle of brandy,

a pack of dried pigs ears [for the dogs, good for their teeth!]If you don't know what I mean, you will think this very bizarre!

Well if the pigs ear wasn't for your dogs it sertainly would have explained why I don't like Christmas cake, I have been blaming the innocent raisins for years and all the while the it was the pigs ear! :P :p :P lol

Have you tried giving your dogs dried hoofs? I don't know about the uk but here you can get cow hoofs that are cleaned and dried for your dogs.

Edited by Vimes

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha-ha Vimes! Nope, I would never put dried pigs ears [or fresh ones] in my cakes. :giggle2:

No, not heard of the dried hoof option, but dogs do eat just about anything that's for sure.They go mad for the crispy pork ears [yuk!!!!!]

Well, last night I forgot to close the tent flap properly, so at 2 am got woken by the dogs howling and found that wind had blown open tent  door and lots of stuff got wet with all the rain. Not only that, but I had forgotten to take butter out of fridge so it's hard as a rock just when I wanted to make Christmas cake! Doh.

Anyway, managed to dry all our things now, just about, so we are sitting in tent [dogs asleep] and I am having mug of hot Earl Grey tea [just like Captain Picard on Star Trek] and reading my new book called The Rapture by Liz Jensen, which so far is proving very interesting.I am also nibbling on several ginger biscuits. :smile:

It could be a funny joke though...Recipe for Christmas cake:

Flour

Fruit

Eggs

Pigs ear, dried lol :D

I looked up your book and I have to say that it is just not my cuppa tea but I am glad that you are injoying it! It's not easy finding books to read always.

You should see if you island has a cave...moving into my cave has solved all tent/rain/wind problems :D

I think I will go and make myself a cup of tea...

Edited by Vimes

A cave sounds awesome! Provided there aren't any scary insects or animals in there, but that's all up to us so :).

I'd like:

- two bicycles and bicycle tools (in case the tire has a hole in it etc)

- some exercising equipment (ie. weights)

- some sporty comfy clothes for me and my boyfriend

Ahhhggg living with the spiders and other bugs is half the fun of camping! :D Anyway I'm used to bugs and creepycrawlys (wildlife photographer) so they don't bother me.

I need some new books

New movies

Hi again, fellow islanders! How are things with you all? I had a surprise visitor yesterday, it was Sean Bean [or Sharpe as he likes to call himself.] He looked a bit rough and was very hungry. Claims to have been at sea for a long time due to the fact that nobody will allow him to stay on their island.Hmmmn, is it any wonder? I took pity on him though and cooked a stew, which we all ate on the beach, the dogs as well, as they seem to like him.He has pitched his tent on the edge of the beach near the sea as he says that all the ships will be looking for him, he is due to make a film. He is deluded, poor thing. :giggle2:

Writing! I'd like:

- Lots of paper, both lined and unlined

- Lots of pens and pencils (and a pencil sharpener)

- Some things to keep it all together, ie. tools to make holes in the paper and then a 'snelhechter' to bind it in, no idea what all these words are in English :blush:

So we can write and draw things.

Writing! I'd like:

- Lots of paper, both lined and unlined

- Lots of pens and pencils (and a pencil sharpener)

- Some things to keep it all together, ie. tools to make holes in the paper and then a 'snelhechter' to bind it in, no idea what all these words are in English :blush:

So we can write and draw things.

Ok then, you can send a letter to me about life on your island [i am on South Island by the way.]I like the sound of the snelhechter think maybe we call it a ringbinder.It's a windy day here, and the dogs have gone a bit mad running around and twirling in circles on the beach; but the big news is......... Sharpe has gone missing!!He was there last night [i could hear him muttering in his tent] but today he has completely vanished. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

Ok then, you can send a letter to me about life on your island [i am on South Island by the way.]I like the sound of the snelhechter think maybe we call it a ringbinder.It's a windy day here, and the dogs have gone a bit mad running around and twirling in circles on the beach; but the big news is......... Sharpe has gone missing!!He was there last night [i could hear him muttering in his tent] but today he has completely vanished. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

x

I can send you all letters! That'd be nice :). In that case I want:

- Envelopes

- A free posting service to the other islands (or a boat so I can take it myself), or to everywhere

Maybe he got eaten? :P

:o Oh no! Hope not, I mean, he is a pest, but  even so!

Am awaiting letters from your islands folks, there is a service Athena, so you don't need stamps just call Island Postal Services and they row a boat over to collect letters and parcels.Had carrot and coriander soup for lunch, then walked the island with the dogs checking for Sharpe, but no sign, he has definitely left here somehow, maybe a passing ship during the night?

LOL I dunno, maybe there was a purple people eater loose on your island :P but let us hope for the best! Maybe he will wash up on Athenas island?

Been busy reading Bernard Cornwells first Starbuck book and couldn't put it down, just started the second one, happily its turning out to be just as good as the first one :)

I'll let you know if he does!

After having written lots of letters and also words for a book-to-be my hands are tired so I decide to do some lounging around, relaxing and reading. The puppy is growing up nicely and has a lot of fun.

So I'd like:

- A comfy sofa

- Some comfy clothes (ie. a 'housesuit' as I call it)

- A water cooker (solar powered) and hot beverages such as hot chocolate, cup-a-soup, coffee, tea

That's it Athena, you have a rest, our island is meant to be happy and a little lazy too!Is the housesuit a onesie?They are all the rage here, but it must be difficult when you need to spend a penny[euphemism, haha.]

Sharpe is ok, I had a text from him today, he is on another island. What happened is this;during the night he couldn't sleep so he paced up and down the beach........ the tide was lapping at the sand and brought a little boat with an oar in it with nobody on board. Feeling curious, Sharpe jumped in and paddled off , he kept going and pretty soon saw another island come into view, so made for the beach there. He says it's a larger island than mine and is going to investigate.He promises to text again soon. It may well be your island of course, so keep an eye out for him, he has a beard now and looks a bit grubby.

I am running out of ginger biscuits,

dog food,

Earl Grey tea bags.

Ah! Here we call them tracksuits :)

Nothing much happening on my island, summer has finally arrived after a very long spring and we are all injoying a bit of sun here :)

Ah! Here we call them tracksuits :)

Nothing much happening on my island, summer has finally arrived after a very long spring and we are all injoying a bit of sun here :)

How come you have Summer Vimes? It's Winter on my island!!!!! Ah, I see, the fantasy continues? Why have Winter in fantasy land eh?Well, we are all hoping for snow on our island, it will be nice and Christmassy that way. :coolsnow:

I'm hoping for a bit of snow on my island too!

I'd like:

- A Christmas tree

- Christmas decorations and kerstkransjes (Dutch Christmas chocolate)

- Gloves, scarfs etc. so it won't be cold playing with the snow

I want to make a snow-person! (not snow-man)

How come you have Summer Vimes? It's Winter on my island!!!!! Ah, I see, the fantasy continues? Why have Winter in fantasy land eh?Well, we are all hoping for snow on our island, it will be nice and Christmassy that way. :coolsnow:

lol, there is that as well as the fact that I am going on the weather that is outside of my window, we have summer over Christmas time here where I am. :)

Ah Vimes, I see, you live in upside down land! That's what we called Australia when we were children.Arrrrgh that means you have crocs where you are [ not the kind you put on your feet!] :giggle2:

The weather is cold and crisp on my island, I have just been taking Fudge and Calypso for a long walk and now we are ready for a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of fruitcake.

Athena, a snow person? That's very politically correct of you. lol.I make a snow-man complete with hat and pipe.

I now want;  some choc......... a toblerone [or 2/3] would be nice

rubber toys for the dogs

a Santa hat with a bell on it. :D

Edited by gardengirl

LOL well we do have crocodiles in some parts of my country, it is still not Australia :) I am in South Africa... Hot, dry, dusty, quit a lot like Australia actually. Lots of South Africans move to Australia because it is so alike in climate.

I need some more wool and that is it really...

Athena, a snow person? That's very politically correct of you. lol.I make a snow-man complete with hat and pipe.

x

Thank you! I don't see a reason why something that doesn't have much in the way of gender elements should be automatically male. So, a snow person :).

I'd like:

- lots of chocolate, in all three flavours (dark, milk and white)

- pretty candles and matches

- more dog treats