Desert Island Essentials

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gardengirl said:  Poppy, is the gramophone solar powered? I just ask :giggle2:

Hugh is getting mopey again, so am sending him over to your island Poppy. I will send for another friend in due course.

No this one's manual. Here's a photo. An old lady I used to visit with my grandparents when I was little had one and she let us play with it. I can remember one time when we visited, we discovered her half way up a pine tree, pruning it ....she was well into her 80's. :o

http://www.soulcity.be/wallpapers/gramophone.jpg

A fishing line (now that Hugh's joining me, he can do the fish dispatching. I love fishing but can't kill anything bigger than a fly or wasp) Tell him to buck up before he arrives will you, can't be doing with mopey males :rolleyes: I hope he doesn't have a milk allergy.

A swiss army knife (I'm feeling practical this time)

A thermette ( a nifty little contraption for those who haven't seen one. Great for camping, you light a little fire with twigs at the bottom and you have boiling water in no time. Tea made with the water has the most delightful smokey flavour.) Drats, I've used up my three choices for this time .....I so wanted fruit cake to go with my billy tea!! :doh:

http://www.kiwiingenuity.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/magnum_thermette.gif

Edited by poppy

lol okay hmmm... I would like...a new bar of soap

a chief (who knows how to make wonderful food from a coconut and a banana leaf)

A hair brush (my hair is going kind of wild over here!) :)

Lol, I could use the hair brush too. My hair is wild almost all of the time :P

Now Vimes, think carefully..... do you really want a chief? A chef would be better for this! :giggle2:

No this one's manual. Here's a photo. An old lady I used to visit with my grandparents when I was little had one and she let us play with it. I can remember one time when we visited, we discovered her half way up a pine tree, pruning it ....she was well into her 80's. :o

http://www.soulcity.be/wallpapers/gramophone.jpg

A fishing line (now that Hugh's joining me, he can do the fish dispatching. I love fishing but can't kill anything bigger than a fly or wasp) Tell him to buck up before he arrives will you, can't be doing with mopey males :rolleyes: I hope he doesn't have a milk allergy.

A swiss army knife (I'm feeling practical this time)

A thermette ( a nifty little contraption for those who haven't seen one. Great for camping, you light a little fire with twigs at the bottom and you have boiling water in no time. Tea made with the water has the most delightful smokey flavour.) Drats, I've used up my three choices for this time .....I so wanted fruit cake to go with my billy tea!! :doh:

http://www.kiwiingenuity.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/magnum_thermette.gif

Interesting, Poppy. Yes, Hugh will be reaching you anytime, he has perked up a bit  so don't worry [you can always pass him on to Vimes or Rachel hee-hee.]Order the fruit cake next time.

I want Sean Bean [from 15 years ago :D ] as my new friend, dressed in his Sharpe uniform

also 5 large round tins with Christmas cakes inside [they keep for ages.]

and a bottle of brandy for Sean.

Now Vimes, think carefully..... do you really want a chief? A chef would be better for this! :giggle2:

well...you see I come online on my phone. Now I have the auto spell check on, (and I dunno how to take it off) and often it comes up with very interesting ideas on what it thinks I'm saying. And I don't always see the mistakes...I know I should check before posting but... LOL :)

Maybe a chief wouldn't be so bad to have around, he could tell the chef what to do :giggle2:

That's funny Vimes, I think you should leave the spell checker alone, I'm curious to see what else it comes up with!

Now, Sean is settling in nicely, but he keeps striding about the beach to check for enemies [i have told him we are alone here but he really does think that he is 'Sharpe' and says that Wellington  may send him a message in a bottle, and he must be prepared at all times.] Oh dear! On the upside he seems very good at making tea for us over the fire, says this is an easy campaign, and keeps calling me 'soldier'.I will keep him for another week to see how this works out, if not, I have already sent Hugh Laurie over to Poppy's island, so may have to send Sean over to you, how do you feel about this?Also Calypso [the dog] doesn't really like him.

Anyway, we now need,

a big coil of rope [tieing up enemies, says Sean] :doh:

a campbed [also for Sean]

a big pack of dog biscuits.

MY island? LOL and what am I to do with him? Anyway I have Rincewind here with me and I don't think there is that much room on the island, what is the purple elephants he keeps on saying are in the trees....

I think a need more tents (as I seem to have guests arriving)

More blankets

And more beds

MY island? LOL and what am I to do with him? Anyway I have Rincewind here with me and I don't think there is that much room on the island, what is the purple elephants he keeps on saying are in the trees....

I think a need more tents (as I seem to have guests arriving)

More blankets

And more beds

What?! Who the H*** is Rincewind? That's the first we have heard of him. :o

LOL he is a character in the Discworld books. He is a wizard who was kicked out of the unseen university because he couldn't remember any spells. One of my far characters from the Discworld books, along with Vimes (were I get my username from) and Vetinari.

What?! Who the H*** is Rincewind? That's the first we have heard of him. :o

LOL he is a character in the Discworld books. He is a wizard who was kicked out of the unseen university because he couldn't remember any spells. One of my far characters from the Discworld books, along with Vimes (were I get my username from) and Vetinari. :giggle2: Edited by Vimes

LOL I just love how Vimes handles some if the situations that he faces, a dragon attacking the city? No problem! I love the Discworld books, they are my comfort books (they work just like comfort food) :D

Ah, right, that explains all! [or does it?]Not having read any of Discworld , Vimes did not ring any bells with me [i'm obviously so old and out of touch, sigh    ]Anyway, the fact of the matter is, Sean Bean is now on his way over to your Island, 'cos I have had enough of him trying to organise me all the time. Perhaps your wizard can put a calming spell on him. Calypso bit him yesterday, so he is keen to come to you now. I may have a rest from having a companion here for a while.Me and the dog are fine on our own.

I now want.....

a canoe [ for fishing trips]

an extra pillow,

a bumper pack of ginger biscuits [to dunk in my tea.]

Edited by gardengirl

Ah, right, that explains all! [or does it?]Not having read any of Discworld , Vimes did not ring any bells with me [i'm obviously so old and out of touch, sigh    ]Anyway, the fact of the matter is, Sean Bean is now on his way over to your Island, 'cos I have had enough of him trying to organise me all the time. Perhaps your wizard can put a calming spell on him. Calypso bit him yesterday, so he is keen to come to you now. I may have a rest from having a companion here for a while.Me and the dog are fine on our own.I now want.....a canoe [ for fishing trips]an extra pillow,a bumper pack of ginger biscuits [to dunk in my tea.]

Ahh I don't think Rincewind will be much help as was kicked out of the unseen university because is couldn't learn any spells. He will most likely think that the island has come under attack and run away thought :D

xAny other wizard, perhaps, Rincewind, no :giggle2:.

I was just about to say that! LOL

I think I need a toothbrush (cent believe I forgot this very essential item!)

Some toothpaste

And a bag of sugar (tea just isn't the same without a little sugar)

Then Sean and Rincewind will just have to learn how to get on together eh?    :empathy: You could always send one [or both of them] to Athena, or Poppy.

Please tell whoever is in charge of supplies to hurry up with my bumper pack of ginger biscuits [taps foot.]

Yes well I am thinking that my island was a whole lot more peaceful before :)

I am fair you are going to have to take it up with the Ginger Biscuit World Delivery company... Or you could just have mine? I got a whole crate full and not enough tea lol

Edited by Vimes

GG would you stop trying to send all your excess males over to me!! One at a time is quite enough to contend with. And I don't think I ever want to let Hugh go, he's just marvellous. He's musical, has a great sense of humour and reads beautifully. He's reading me Jeeves and Wooster stories and does a marvellous impersonation of Bertie. Funny that :D

OK I better get that fruit cake, make it very large please and very moist with heaps of apricots, walnuts and containing every type of dried fruit imaginable.

An assortment of musical instruments including a grand piano, guitars, a banjo, harmonicas, a mandolin, drums and a couple of maracas for good measure (I'm sure they come in job lots). Hugh and I are going to start a band.

A hammock

Wow that is quiet a list poppy! I decided to send all of the other people on my island to an island of there own so the chef, chief and sharpe are now on a nice island of there own (dont sorry there is lots of food and fresh eater over there and I sent them off with lots of supplies). I would have sent Rincewind with them but he wouldn't come down out of the coconut tree.

Anyway I need a bucket (my plants need watering)

A small spade

And one of those forky things you weed with...trying to think of name...agh I dunno a weed thingy :)

Edited by Vimes

GG would you stop trying to send all your excess males over to me!! One at a time is quite enough to contend with. And I don't think I ever want to let Hugh go, he's just marvellous. He's musical, has a great sense of humour and reads beautifully. He's reading me Jeeves and Wooster stories and does a marvellous impersonation of Bertie. Funny that :D

OK I better get that fruit cake, make it very large please and very moist with heaps of apricots, walnuts and containing every type of dried fruit imaginable.

An assortment of musical instruments including a grand piano, guitars, a banjo, harmonicas, a mandolin, drums and a couple of maracas for good measure (I'm sure they come in job lots). Hugh and I are going to start a band.

A hammock

I love fruitcake :) Contrary to the stereotype in movies that it's gross, it actually has a sweet and nutty flavor that I enjoy. I usually eat fruitcake during Christmas. I haven't had it in a long, long time though. Usually the fruitcakes that my family and I purchase have bits of pineapple and cherry. Maybe I can convince the family to get a fruitcake again (My mom, grandmother and sister are trying to watch their sugar intake). On the dried fruit thing: Love it. I especially love dried apples, dried mango, dried strawberries, pretty much all of the dried fruit lol.

Dried pears are lovely, as well as apricots. Not a fruit cake fan though, every one that I have had has has raisins in and I don't eat raisins (they look like dried dead flys)

Hmmmmn! Lots of friuty activity going on. I requested a fruit cake [and ginger biccies] from Desert Island Supplies Inc. and they have still not arrived. Poppy, glad that Hugh is happier with you, he's a great guy but does get mopey and you have to jolly him out of it [a good clout round the ear usually works] :D Well Vimes, that was a good idea sending them all off onto their own little island,

but I must ask ' you didn't allow Sean/Sharpe to take his sword did you?' and telling me that raisins look like dead flies has possibly put me off them for life!!!! If I wasn't here on the Island, round about now I would be making my Christmas cake [then I wrap it and put it away, then every couple of weeks 'feed' brandy into it, and by Christmas it's gorgeous and boozy.I eat it with Wensleydale cheese.As I may still be here for Christmas, I will probably just have a coconut.Calypso [dog] is a good quiet companion here but I now need

Dog flea treatment,

a rubber bone

a crate of tinned doggy food.   I shall now brew myself some Earl Grey tea and watch the waves for a bit.