Am I the only one who enjoyed Les Miserablés?

peterjmerrigan

Just scanned through every page of topics in this Classics sub-forum and can't believe no one has mentioned Victor Hugo's Les Miserablés. Am I really the only one who read and enjoyed this epic novel?

Set in the early 1800s, it follows the trials and tribulations of ex-convict Jean Valjean following his release from prison (serving something like 18 years (forgive me if I got that wrong) for stealing a loaf of bread) and the offer of redemption he receives from a clergyman after he tries to steal the church silverware. Valjean goes on to turn his life around, helping (and being helped by) various characters along the way, all the while being hunted down by Javert, a member of the gendarmerie (police). The whole story culminates, rather meaningfully, in the June Uprising in the 1830s.

I'm sure everyone here has either seen the stage show, seen one of the many films or made-for-TV movies, or at the very least, heard Susan Boyle sing her rendition of one of the stage-show's classic titles, I Have a Dream... But how many of you have actually read the novel?

For me, I started with the Penguin Classic - abridged and chopped down to around 200 pages or so, which I picked up for £1 or £1.50. I consumed it within two days and was hungry for more. I felt like the story had so much more to give than was offered in the abridged version, so I immediately hit the bookstore for the complete and unabridged version. I admit the first third of the novel was a bit of a hard slog. There were French words I didn't know, place names I couldn't get my tongue around, and descriptive passages that oftentimes seemed to meander meaninglessly, but I can assure you, if you're tempted to read it, get through that first 500 pages or so (I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's worth it!) and you won't be able to put the book down.

Yes I've just finished it though it was read to me :blush2: (nearly 58 hours worth :D) I thought it was brilliant .. review here .. but quite a difficult book to get through due to Hugo's habit of wandering a long way from the main story (I thought it was quite telling that the abridged audio runs for only 12 hours .. so they managed to cut approx 46 hours of the story out without probably losing any of the essential plotline :o) It is worth persevering with though as you say :) Fantastic piece of literature. I didn't struggle with any of the French names or passages or songs because it was all done for me :giggle: 

I haven't heard the audio version, but if it's just a "reading" of the novel and the abridged version, I can picture it :). Thanks for linking me to your review, I've read the first couple of paragraphs but thought I'd come back here and reply before I got sucked in lol. I'll go back and read your full review now.

As for the abridged version cutting out 46 hours of the story, I can say there's a lot the written abridged version cuts out that was integral to the original story - ie:

The fact that the boy (I've forgotten his name) was the Thenardiers' son and Eponine's little brother, was never made clear in the abridged version (or in the stage show, in fact!), and yet it was so integral to the story line.

Things like that make me decide never to read abridged versions of novels - it's best to read them as the author intended :)

I haven't heard the audio version, but if it's just a "reading" of the novel and the abridged version, I can picture it :). Thanks for linking me to your review, I've read the first couple of paragraphs but thought I'd come back here and reply before I got sucked in lol. I'll go back and read your full review now.

As for the abridged version cutting out 46 hours of the story, I can say there's a lot the written abridged version cuts out that was integral to the original story - ie:

The fact that the boy (I've forgotten his name) was the Thenardiers' son and Eponine's little brother, was never made clear in the abridged version (or in the stage show, in fact!), and yet it was so integral to the story line.

Things like that make me decide never to read abridged versions of novels - it's best to read them as the author intended :)

Yes it was a reading .. but of the whole novel .. took me ages to listen but I guess it would've taken a lot longer to read.

I too was surprised about ...

Gavroche being a Thenardier .. not a hint of that in the film (apart from the single tear after Eponine's death and that wasn't true to the story). I thought I must have misunderstood to begin with but looked it up and sure enough it confirmed it and then the story went on to explain more. Also the backgrounds for Fantine and Eponine .. in the film you have hardly a notion of how they ended up as they did. And Marius's upbringing too and the suicide of Javert and last illness ofJean Valjean .. all a bit rushed in the film and as such slightly inexplicable. I understand it all much better now.

It's a difficult read though .. so detailed and then so long spent away from the main plot. Plus what is it? .. 1400 pages or something? That's an awfully big commitment. Rewarding though .. in the end :)