Hellooooo

peterjmerrigan

Hey guys! Nice to e-meet you all!

Just registered and looking forward to snooping around the rooms and seeing who's reading what. Don't worry, I'll keep out of the underwear drawer ;) lol.

A bit about me: Well, I'm Northern Irish originally, moved to England in 1997 and now live in Leeds but spend weekends in Manchester with my other half.

I work in advertising and write my own novels in my spare time, but I'm not here to talk about that lol. I'm here primarily to discover new reading material. I love fiction, literary fiction, some genre fiction (crime/thriller/mystery, the occasional horror), and I'm forever running out of decent books to read. My Kindle goes everywhere with me (yes, I've moved on from paperbacks, though I do still miss the feel of a good book in my hand!) and it's full of drivel I read 2 or 3 chapters of before giving up on them because the novel seems awful. I need something new (and good!) to read :)

Anyway, enough about me... :D

Welcome to the forum, fellow Northerner! :D

Hi Vodkafan. Thanks, I've been recommended Vance before, actually, but I'm not so much a big fan of the whole sci-fi world. I went through my fantasy phase in my teens lol and came out the other side ;). I'll investigate further though!

:o  You really must investigate further! I'm still wading my way through the shallow end of my fantasy phase and probably will be for some time. ;)  :giggle2:

Thanks for the welcome, guys. You all seem lovely so far :D

Hi peter :welcomeboard:

Are you an Agatha Christie fan?

Hi Cuppycakes. I've read one or two Christie novels, but probably way less than I should!

See? I've only just joined and there're two recommendations already! I knew signing up here was a good idea lol

I have a recommendation: 'Blood Promise' by Brian McClellan. It's fantasy, but - bear with me! - there's a crime/mystery-ish storyline in it, some intriguing politics and lots of fun action. It's the first in the 'Powder Mage' trilogy, and it's being referred to as 'flintlock fantasy': not so much 'sword and sorcery' but 'guns and sorcery'. I loved it! :D

I have a recommendation: 'Blood Promise' by Brian McClellan. It's fantasy, but - bear with me! - there's a crime/mystery-ish storyline in it, some intriguing politics and lots of fun action. It's the first in the 'Powder Mage' trilogy, and it's being referred to as 'flintlock fantasy': not so much 'sword and sorcery' but 'guns and sorcery'. I loved it! :D

Haha, that actually sounds quite interesting from what you've said! I don't really do fantasy novels any more, but I'm willing to give one a go if it's good. I guess all the old fantasy novels/series I read in my teens all became a bit samey and staid. Something new might just be what I'm looking for :D

Hi peter! I have a Kindle as well and really love it! When I first saw there were free e-books I was excited. The first book I got was "England under the Tudors" by Arthur Innes -- but was disappointed to find how poorly edited, excessively long and boring it was to read. (And I love reading about history!)

Hello Peter :) We've already got acquainted on the Les Miserables thread but even though I'm a bit late ...   :welcomebcf: anyway :blush2: 

Hope you're enjoying snooping about :D  Have you read Wolf Hall yet? I highly recommend it if not and also Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell .. I know it is classed as fantasy but it's good fantasy :blush2:  Also The Rivers of London books? .. again fantasy but crime fantasy (and I do agree .. some fantasy should be classed as crime :D) and very funny. Anyway snooping around here will give you lots of ideas .. more than your wallet can cope with most probably :D .. have fun!

Edited by poppyshake