gardengirl

Has anyone ever read the book DREAM SCIENCE? I think the author was from USA and was called either THOMAS or ROBERT PALMER. I can't find my paperback copy to check on this, but the book is tremendous! The best Sci Fi or fantasy book I have ever read. So well written, a page turner and yet more than that, disturbing [not that there are gory or horrible bits because there aren't] but disturbing in a 'imagine if that really happened to me' kind of way.The hero , an ordinary business man, just finds himself stepping out of his own reality and into others, all as far as he can tell in the USA. Things get weirder and weirder, and you are so gripped by his experiences.I don't know if he ever wrote another book, but if he didn't, then his one book is worth 20 of some SF writers.

Thank you Vodkafan,

for the messages and also the links, the last link was a great review wasn't it?Wish that I could write reviews like that!Anyway, I'm sure you will like the book. Thanks for the info, I shall try to get his other book and look forward to reading it. You ask if I like old Sci-Fi/fantasy, and yes I do, but I also like up to date writing too. I just think that there are such good writers from some years ago that are out of print or just difficult to find and it is a shame.With Sci-Fi/fantasy, I only like certain things though, no 5 headed aliens or anyone with ridiculous other worldly names like zechxxxon of the first order of Dekklinia  [you know what I mean.]No sorcerers, warlocks, demons,and not too much alien [or Earthly technology terms] as in 'he aligned the steel trechin and turned the pilkpin a touch to the left, before debrilling the nebulizer'.It has also got to be well written, which knocks out a lot of SF writing [and actually, other genres too.] :D

I get your drift. Might I mention Jack Vance? He is my favourite writer of all time. His use of language is like nobody else. And I dare you to read one of his books and not get into it. It's like having a Rowntrees Fruit Pastille in your mouth and not chewing it..For you I would recommend To Live Forever (also called Clarges)

Another old forgotten English SF writer I had in mind for you is Leonard Daventry.  He wrote several books all very hard to find now. I have only read A Man Of Double Deed.  You can find them second hand on Amazon sometimes.

thanks,

I will look for both authors and books that you mention. It's hard sometimes to find then I agree, and libraries never seem to have any of the old authors at all. Libraries here don't even stock any Brian Aldiss, and he lived here for most of his writing life [in my village.]