The Second Duchess

Vimes

The second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas is, I have to say, one of the best historical fiction book I have read in a while. Inspired by the poem ,"My Last Duchess" by Browning it is well worth a read. The story follows Barbara of Austria as she gets married and learns about the mysterious death of the first duchess and then how she finds out what happened to the first duchess.

For those that are interested here is the poem.

My Last Duchess

That's my last Duchess painted

on the wall,

Looking as if she were alive. I

call

That piece a wonder, now: Fr

Pandolf's hands

Worked busily a day, and there

she stands.

Will't please you sit and look at

her? I said

``Fr Pandolf'' by design, for

never read

Strangers like you that pictured

countenance,

The depth and passion of its

earnest glance,

But to myself they turned (since

none puts by

The curtain I have drawn for

you, but I)

And seemed as they would ask

me, if they durst,

How such a glance came there;

so, not the first

Are you to turn and ask thus. Sir,

'twas not

Her husband's presence only,

called that spot

Of joy into the Duchess' cheek:

perhaps

Fr Pandolf chanced to say ``Her

mantle laps

``Over my lady's wrist too

much,'' or ``Paint

``Must never hope to reproduce

the faint

``Half-flush that dies along her

throat:'' such stuff

Was courtesy, she thought, and

cause enough

For calling up that spot of joy.

She had

A heart---how shall I say?---too

soon made glad,

Too easily impressed; she liked

whate'er

She looked on, and her looks

went everywhere.

Sir, 'twas all one! My favour at

her breast,

The dropping of the daylight in

the West,

The bough of cherries some

officious fool

Broke in the orchard for her, the

white mule

She rode with round the

terrace---all and each

Would draw from her alike the

approving speech,

Or blush, at least. She thanked

men,---good! but thanked

Somehow---I know not how---

as if she ranked

My gift of a nine-hundred-

years-old name

With anybody's gift. Who'd

stoop to blame

This sort of trifling? Even had

you skill

In speech---(which I have not)---

to make your will

Quite clear to such an one, and

say, ``Just this

``Or that in you disgusts me;

here you miss,

``Or there exceed the mark''---

and if she let

Herself be lessoned so, nor

plainly set

Her wits to yours, forsooth, and

made excuse,

---E'en then would be some

stooping; and I choose

Never to stoop. Oh sir, she

smiled, no doubt,

Whene'er I passed her; but who

passed without

Much the same smile? This

grew; I gave commands;

Then all smiles stopped

together. There she stands

As if alive. Will't please you rise?

We'll meet

The company below, then. I

repeat,

The Count your master's known

munificence

Is ample warrant that no just

pretence

Of mine for dowry will be

disallowed;

Though his fair daughter's self,

as I avowed

At starting, is my object. Nay,

we'll go

Together down, sir. Notice

Neptune, though,

Taming a sea-horse, thought a

rarity,

Which Claus of Innsbruck cast

in bronze for me!

Robert Browning

You certainly make a good case for reading this book, so it has gone on my TBR list, can I get it on Kindle?I had heard of though not read, the poem, isn't it chilling?

Glad that I was able to suggest something to you, I hope that you will injoyed it when you read it :). I assume that it is available on Kindle although I don't know for sure, (Its on my e-book reader but it isn't a kindle and you know how things are. It's available here but not there... :P)

Yes, the poem sent shivers down my soon the first time I read it. Makes you feel like you were there.

Hello Vimes, I'm a big fan of historical fiction I've never heard of this author before but will try to read one of her books in future.

Hi gardengirl! Are you a fan of historical fiction as well? Have you ever read Jean Plaidy?

I have too have a soft spot for a good Historical novel, I haven't ever heard of jean plaid. What books has he/she write?

Jean Plaidy writes Historical fiction. Her real name is Eleanor Hibbert. She also wrote with other names like Victoria Holt. She is fantastic! She is a renown historical fiction author known for her historical accuracy. I love her Tudor saga. Are you a Tudor fan?

Edited by cuppycakes

Hi Vimes and Cuppycakes,

yes, I love historical stuff, as long as it's well written [although you can apply that to any genre I guess.]When I was a teenager [oh so long ago!] I read nothing else BUT Jean Plaidy, is she still in print?Wonderful stuff, light-ish but all the history is there and well told.I also used to read Norah Lofts another good writer from way back, but historical stuff doesn't really date does it [or does it?]Have you read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel?Tremendous!

Like the Tumor books, I've got it but I just haven't read it. I thought about it a few weeks ago but it looked a little dark and gloomy to me? Or at least that's the feel that I got from the description that I found online for it.

Edited by Vimes

Hi Vimes and Cuppycakes,

yes, I love historical stuff, as long as it's well written [although you can apply that to any genre I guess.]When I was a teenager [oh so long ago!] I read nothing else BUT Jean Plaidy, is she still in print?Wonderful stuff, light-ish but all the history is there and well told.I also used to read Norah Lofts another good writer from way back, but historical stuff doesn't really date does it [or does it?]Have you read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel?Tremendous!

Haven't read Wolf Hall but have heard a lot about it. Like many history authors Mantel is no different in that she has a particular soft spot for a historical figure, which in this case is Cromwell. I read an interview with her once where she said that she didn't think that Cromwell planned every detail about Anne Boleyn's trial and that he more or less just carried on the case against her based on what others had to say about her. I have to disagree with that because Cromwell was no saint, he was crafty and I think he did have a lot more to do with the charges against Anne's.

Edited by cuppycakes

yes, Cuppycakes, I think you may well be right about Thomas Cromwell! He didn't get where he got for being a lovely person, Tudor England [including the Court] was an edgy unsafe place all round [understatement of the year!]I think a lot of people also confuse him with Oliver Cromwell [ different century.]I see that you are from USA, are a lot of people interested in English history there?I live in England, so naturally am, but actually find American history fascinating too. We were talking of Jean Plaidy, didn't she also write under the name of Georgette Heyer as well as Victoria Holt? Giving my age away here!My grown up daughter still loves her Georgette Heyer books and when she was 18 and managed to get into an Oxford College, she took those books with her as  comfort books.  :readingtwo:

I think a lot of people also confuse him with Oliver Cromwell [ different century.

:smile:

He's also distantly related to Thomas Cromwell.

]I see that you are from USA, are a lot of people interested in English history there?I live in England, so naturally am, but actually find American history fascinating too.

Not really. A lot of emphasis gets placed on American history here which is nice because I like American history as well; particularly about the Native Americans. Speaking of which, do you gardengirl or Vimes know of any definitive biographies about Pocahontas?