More Than This by Patrick Ness

Michelle

I'm really reluctant to put this into this section, because I'd recommend it to anyone, but it's from a publisher of children's books, so I'll leave it here.

This is really all you need to know...

A boy called Seth drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments, losing his life as the pounding sea claims him. But then he wakes. He is naked, thirsty, starving. But alive. How is that possible? He remembers dying, his bones breaking, his skull dashed upon the rocks. So how is he is here? And where is this place? It looks like the suburban English town where he lived as a child, before an unthinkable tragedy happened and his family moved to America. But the neighbourhood around his old house is overgrown, covered in dust and completely abandoned. What's going on? And why is it that whenever he closes his eyes, he falls prey to vivid, agonizing memories that seem more real than the world around him? Seth begins a search for answers, hoping that he might not be alone, that this might not be the hell he fears it to be, that there might be more than just this...
Please, do not read any reviews which give away more than this - it's a book which needs to be discovered, with no preconceptions. It's beautifully written, and had me gripped from start to finish. I loved Seth, and maybe Thomasz even more. I find myself constantly thinking about it, and want desperately to discuss it with someone!

Go read it, then come back and tell me your thoughts! 

I heard this book being discussed on radio4 recently, the reviewers all like it. It sounds very unusual and worth reading, was it written for children /older children ? Not that it really matters as countless books written for children are wonderful books for anyone to read, I just wondered.

I'm really reluctant to put this into this section, because I'd recommend it to anyone, but it's from a publisher of children's books, so I'll leave it here.

This is really all you need to know...

Please, do not read any reviews which give away more than this - it's a book which needs to be discovered, with no preconceptions. It's beautifully written, and had me gripped from start to finish. I loved Seth, and maybe Thomasz even more. I find myself constantly thinking about it, and want desperately to discuss it with someone!

Go read it, then come back and tell me your thoughts! 

Harry Potter was a children's book read and enjoyed by adults. I believe this book is even more suited for adults. I finished the book while on vacation and totally agree with the "Boss". The book was non-stop excitement and I am still amazed at the story-telling. The only problem is it will be extremely difficult and even impossible to discuss the book without giving away the many turns of direction in the writing. anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and will now try other books by the author. Question....why hasn't this author been recommended to me previously. :)

I think he's generally a YA writer, so he may have passed you by. If you like his writing, you must try A Monster Calls - it's one of the very few books to make me cry!

More Than This discussion in spoilers..

What did you decide.. was a future where everyone lived in a Virtual Reality world, or was it something his brain came up with to help him with dying? I think the former was very believable, as I've read quite a few books with that kind of aspect, but I'd also like to think it's the latter. I don't think I'll ever be sure.

I think he's generally a YA writer, so he may have passed you by. If you like his writing, you must try A Monster Calls - it's one of the very few books to make me cry!

More Than This discussion in spoilers..

What did you decide.. was a future where everyone lived in a Virtual Reality world, or was it something his brain came up with to help him with dying? I think the former was very believable, as I've read quite a few books with that kind of aspect, but I'd also like to think it's the latter. I don't think I'll ever be sure.

Tommy was a brave and very likeable young man. I really liked him. I will give another  1 or 2 books of his a try as the story was great and kept me reading.

To be honest, I don't know. The story left me "thinking" but with no sure conclusion. It scares me to think that a Virtual Reality World could happen. I tend to think that it was things going through Seth's mind as he was dying, but on the other hand there were too many turning points in the story for that to be true. Chit, I don't know. I wish he would write a sequel to the book. :)

Edited by muggle not

I have really thought about this book for a while and have changed my mind about the story.

I now believe that there really was a Virtual Reality World and somehow it didn't work for the three. LOL, I am not sure though. Good book.

I just finished A Monster Calls and thoroughly enjoyed the book. Any other books by Ness that are recommended. :)

Edited by muggle not

I've read all the Chaos Walking trilogy and would definitely recommend them.  I chose the first book, The Knife of Never Letting Go for my book group which is made up of mostly retired ladies, and they were all sceptical of trying a YA book when it was handed out, but at the next meeting, most were completely bowled over by it and were delighted I had suggested it.

Edited by chesilbeach

I've read all the Chaos Walking trilogy and would definitely recommend them.  I chose the first book, The Knife of Never Letting Go for my book group which is made up of mostly retired ladies, and they were all sceptical of trying a YA book when it was handed out, but at the next meeting, most were completely bowled over by it and were delighted I had suggested it.

I will put them on my TBR list and hopefully get to them soon. I really enjoyed the two books by Ness that I recently read.